vegetarian options?

armychap

Ready to Go!
We're going to have a vegetarian in our group for our next trip. I'm mostly veggie, but not 100% so never really paid much attention to options. I think I saw a thread on here on the subject, but can't find it.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for counter service places (we already figured out the table service places) in MK, Epcot, MGM, the water parks, and any other locations (resorts) that have good veggie food (other than the usual pizza and veggie burgers).

Thanks!

Columbia Harbor House has a vegatarian Sandwich and Veggie Chili. I've heard good things about Sunshine Seasons as well. There is a great dining review with pictures and all, done by a vegetarian in the review section. I don't know how to post a link to it but maybe someone else will.

Counter service is great at the Columbia Harbour House, Main Street Bakery, and the Tangierine Cafe. For a TS dinner, try Boma. :cool1:

Let's see, counter service at the places you named: (Veggie burgers are sadly inescapable, sorry)

MK:
Cosmic Rays has a veggie burger and a vegetarian wrap.

Pecos Bill's has a veggie burger, and a really tasty salad (has cheese in it, though, of concern to vegans.)

The Baked Potato Cart in Liberty Square, if it's open.

Epcot:
Tangierine Cafe in Morocco has a (very good) tabouleh wrap and also a vegetarian platter. (The sit down restaurant is worth a visit, too.)

The China counter service (name escapes me) has a veggie stir fry.

The food court in the Land has at least one option.

MGM:
The Commissary has a tabouleh wrap and a veggie noodle stir fry.

Backlot Express has a grilled vegetable sandwich.

The water parks: You're sadly out of luck here, as far as I know... I console myself with Rum Runners. :)

Downtown Disney:

Rainforest Cafe has a (really good) veggie burger, and a portobello mushroom sandwich... not counter service, though.

Puck Express at the marketplace has linguine with tomato and basil

Sit down meals: The higher-end places have some GREAT choices. Citricos and Jiko come to mind (Jiko will even replace some of the meats in their entrees with tofu if you ask.) Kona Cafe at the Poly has a great veggie stir-fry. Generally speaking, WDW chefs are amazingly accomodating at this kind of thing, I've frequently had a chef come out to talk to me personally, or had the server produce a notebook with a complete ingredient listing as soon as I start asking vegan-style questions (which, honestly, is a little more attention than I was hoping for :) but I can't complain about the effort.)

Beware of the veggie stir fry in China...I'm pretty sure it contains oyster sauce.

The BEST book ever for vegetarians at WDW is called "Vegetarian Walt Disney World and Greater Orlando" by Susan Shumaker and Than Saffel. My daughter is a vegan and this is the first trip where we'll need to be educated on vegan options. This book has been awesome.

I ordered this book from Amazon.com and highly recommend any vegetarian or vegan to order this book and bring it with them. It offers info on restaurants/counter service/snacks that regularly offer vegetarian options and those for which you need to contact the chef ahead of time to let them know that you'll be arriving on a specific date so that they can put something together for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter