Vegetarian Christmas Dinner

marius97

DIS Veteran
We have a vegetarian coming to Christmas dinner this year. We already have a number of non-meat side dishes, but what is a good, simple veggie main dish. We get a main dish of turkey and ham, so she should get something more substantial too.

Maybe pasta with marinara sauce or a carrot lentil casserole. Or maybe a meatless quiche, if the person eats eggs.

Does she eat cheese? How about veggie lasagna? That might be more labor intensive than you'd like, though.

I usually will just eat the side dishes and be very satisfied. Or bring my own main dish to eat and share with every one else. As a vegan I have no problem with bringing my own food. Ask the person and see if the side dishes will be enough.
Our Christmas dinner will consist of baked sweet potatoes, broccoli Normandy, mixed green salad and bread. Very satisfying to us.

My hubs is veg and I'm making a simple lasagna with marinara and no meat. I already bought the traditional lasagna pasta sheets, but saw a recipe yesterday using won ton wrappers instead. Super easy!

I am a pescatarian but up until about a year ago I was purely vegetarian. I never would have expected anybody to make something special for me. I usually end up eating side items and salad.

I also agree that if you are set on making a main course for them a meatless Lasagna with just sauce and Cheese would be a hearty meal that all the guests could eat not just the vegetarian.

Just make sure they aren't VEGAN because if so they do not eat any cheese or dairy. No animal products what so ever.

ETA: I wouldn't make it a veggie Lasagna because you do not know which veggies someone might like. I am very picky about what I eat so I wouldn't touch a veggie Lasagna.

You can buy a Gardein holiday roast! They taste pretty good! It's like a boneless turkey stuffed with stuffing. You can vamp it up with some apples, onions, butter and cranberries while baking it!

I am the only vegetarian in my family. I just eat the veggies that are normally prepared for the rest of the family. They are always special from what we normally eat, so they are really a treat. I could make a meal out of mashed potatoes anyways. :)

I would ask them what dish they'd like to have or what they can bring to make sure there's something there that they'll like.

I'm a pescatarian and I always work meal stuff out in advance with the host.

I second what @kiwicake said! I love the Gardein Holiday Roast - if no one had mentioned it, I totally would have. :) DBF (who is not a vegetarian) likes it, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!