Vegetable Recipes

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
Does anyone have easy vegetable sides to share? I'm looking for something a little more interesting than just microwaving frozen veggies, but not so involved that I won't do it on a weeknight. Thanks!

Sometimes it's all in how you finish a dish. I often cook green beans as normal. I boil them on the stove top & then after I drain them and put them in the bowl I finish them with balsalmic vinegar and a squeeze or two or lime or lemon. (I try to keep them a little 'al dente' aka - not soggy. Then toss) You can then also add crumbled feta cheese, or nuts (or both). At Christmastime I had extra of those canned fried onion things that you put on top of a green been casserol, so I just added those on top of the fresh green beans w/ balsamic & lime as a topping. Everyone loved it and I was just cleaning out the pantry!

I have two great veggie recipes that are pretty easy.

ASPARAGUS SESAME SALAD

1 bunch asparagus, stems peeled, tough ends removed, cut diagonally into 1 ½ inch pieces (1 lb)
1scallion, shredded into 1 ½ inch lengths
¼ c. toasted white sesame seeds
lettuce

Sauce Mixture
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
dash white pepper

1. Steam asparagus for 2 minutes over water. Remove. Rinse with cold water. Cool. (The asparagus should be just slightly cooked.)
2. Mix lemon juice, oil, white pepper and salt to taste. Pour mixture over asparagus. Refrigerate until cold.
3. Serve asparagus on a bed of lettuce. Garnish with sesame seeds.

Tip: To toast sesame seeds, heat a small pan over medium-high heat. Add the sesame seeds and toast, stirring occasionally,until lightly browned.

CORN PUDDING

½ c. sugar
3 tbsp. flour
3 eggs
1 c. milk
½ c. butter
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1 can (15 ¼ oz.) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (14 ¾ oz.) cream-style corn

In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and flour. Whisk in the eggs, milk, butter, salt and pepper. Stir in the corn and cream-style corn. Pour into a greased 1 ½ quart baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Hope you like these. If you want some salads, I have a few of those too. They not only have greens, but other veggies, fruits and nuts in them.

Here are a couple of our favorites. From allrecipes.com and one from Rachel Ray.
------------------------------------

Broccoli with garlic butter and cashews

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, cut into bite size
pieces
1/3 cup butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce 2 teaspoons white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup chopped salted cashews

Directions:
1. Place the broccoli into a large pot with about 1 inch of water in the bottom. Bring to a boil, and cook for 7 minutes, or until tender but still crisp. Drain, and arrange broccoli on a serving platter.
2. While the broccoli is cooking, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Mix in the brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, pepper and garlic. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat. Mix in the cashews, and pour the sauce over the broccoli. Serve immediately.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2010 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 1/8/2010
-------------------------------
Green Bean Stir Fry (I boil some water and cook the green beans for about 2 minutes before stir frying, becasue we like them a bit softer)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
1 teaspoon brown sugar 1 teaspoon peanut butter
3/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
4 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil

Directions:
1. In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, garlic, sesame seeds, brown sugar and peanut butter; set aside. In a large skillet, stir-fry the green beans in oil until crisp-tender. Remove from the heat. Add the soy sauce mixture; stir to coat.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2010 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 1/8/2010
---------------------------------
Chili-Garlic Roasted Broccoli
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Prep Time: 10 min Inactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time: 20 min
Level: Easy
Serves: 4 servings
Ingredients
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, eyeball it
5 to 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon grill seasoning blend (recommended:Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick Grill Mates)
1 large head broccoli, cut into thin, long spears
Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Place extra-virgin olive oil, garlic, chili powder and grill seasoning in the bottom of a large bowl and add the broccoli spears. Toss to coat broccoli evenly then transfer to a large nonstick baking sheet. Roast the broccoli until ends are crisp and brown and stalks are tender, 17 to 20 minutes.

I like to peel assorted root veg and onions, toss in oil and herbs and oven roast - super easy!

Montreal Veggies

Frozen Veggie or veggie blend of choice
Montreal Steak seasoning
Butter

Put frozen veggie or veggie blend, (I prefer green & yellow beans with carrots, but anything you like should work fine) in a microwave safe container. Add a couple of tablespoons of butter, a small amount of water, and sprinkle the seasoning . Cover. Microwave a few minutes(depending on wattage). Stir. Finish cooking and stir again. Serve.

You can make this on the stove-top also. I put a little water and butter in a pan, add frozen veggies, sprinkle, and cook until veggies are done.

If using fresh veggies, I would blanch them first.

Sauteed Green Beans

Green beans (fresh or frozen) can be cut or whole
1 or 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
chopped garlic (I use the kind in the jar, but you can use fresh)
butter

If using fresh beans, blanch, drain and set aside. If using frozen, prepare in the microwave. Drain, set aside.

Melt butter in pan, add garlic. Saute garlic for a minute, add green beans, Stir and continue cooking about a minute, add chopped tomatoes. Turn off stove, and continue stirring until everything is mixed. Serve.

I "eyeball" amounts for both recipes. No measuring, very easy. Delicious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter