Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

I did not know this, and we live about 2-3 hours from the Tillamook Cheese factory. Interesting, thank you. :-)

I have to update that I was a bit off. All the *vintage* white sharp cheddars aren't safe. (the non-vintage white sharp is OK)

"This veggie-friendly rennet is used to make all of our cheese except Tillamook Vintage White Medium Cheddar, Vintage White Sharp Cheddar, Vintage White Extra Sharp Cheddar, Vintage White Smoked Extra Sharp Cheddar, and the 3 Year Vintage White Extra Sharp Cheddar, which use traditional, bovine rennet. Other than these five cheeses, all other Tillamook Cheese is vegetarian!"

The grits at The Wave have orange cheese in them, so it's the smoked cheddar not the vintage white smoked extra sharp. Whew.

WEIRDLY, as good as Tillamook is with cheese, their normal yogurts tend to have "kosher gelatin" in them, which means fish. And their light and non-fat sour creams have full on gelatin.

Those have nothing to do with the Wave, but I didn't want to leave with incomplete info.

I have to update that I was a bit off. All the *vintage* white sharp cheddars aren't safe. (the non-vintage white sharp is OK)

"This veggie-friendly rennet is used to make all of our cheese except Tillamook Vintage White Medium Cheddar, Vintage White Sharp Cheddar, Vintage White Extra Sharp Cheddar, Vintage White Smoked Extra Sharp Cheddar, and the 3 Year Vintage White Extra Sharp Cheddar, which use traditional, bovine rennet. Other than these five cheeses, all other Tillamook Cheese is vegetarian!"

The grits at The Wave have orange cheese in them, so it's the smoked cheddar not the vintage white smoked extra sharp. Whew.

WEIRDLY, as good as Tillamook is with cheese, their normal yogurts tend to have "kosher gelatin" in them, which means fish. And their light and non-fat sour creams have full on gelatin.

Those have nothing to do with the Wave, but I didn't want to leave with incomplete info.
Thank you so much for sharing that information! I like their sharp white cheddar but we don't purchase any of the vintage varieties. Oh... :offtopic: for a sec... My mom really loved the Bumbershoot Festival and I like your Duff beer. ;)

No, not expecting people to work with us off-menu; I have just heard so many people say that they had a chef offer to, and it ended up being the best meal they had. I just wondered if there was a way to politely put in a request for the meal or two that might be a challenge for him, but if not, that is fine. The current selection at Le Cellier (at least last I checked) looked like a pretty tasty squash ravioli, he loves Indian food (hence Sanaa being a must-try), he's had the option at Les Chefs and liked it, and who knows about California Grill!? It looks like their options rotate really frequently, so I guess we'll just hope that it's something he'll enjoy when he's there. Kona is just breakfast so I'm not too concerned about that one for him.

I've spoken with V&A already on the phone and it sounds like all of their meals are semi-custom to start with, so that will likely be the easiest meal, from that perspective. It's mostly just the menus that rotate often that I'm concerned about, we tried to pick most of our meals based on restaurants that had something he'd enjoy. It's hard to predict what some of these places will have in six months' time. Oh well, I know I'll enjoy my food :) I am an adventurous eater and enjoy most everything.
Not sure if its been mentioned but go to trails end before or after hoop dee loop and not on a friday and ask for chef tj and tell him your needs

2 Vegan questions : Narccoossees , what do they have/ what will they do? And same thing with Garden Grill?

is this QS?
No - Table Service. It's the colonial style restaurant in Magic Kingdom known for their fried cheese, Thanksgiving style platters and ooey gooey toffee cake.

I ate there in November, and they no longer have that burger. They have a new vegan sandwich, and it exceeded my expectations.

Here's the menu:

http://allears.net/dining/menu/liberty-tree-tavern/lunch

And here's the description of the new vegan sandwich:

Vegetarian Proclamation - roasted seasonal vegetable sandwich, fresh greens, and tomatoes topped with a tasty vegan mayonnaise spread with fresh fruit or sweet potato fries $12.49

The pic they have on allears is NOT that sandwich. Here's a review I found with a pic: https://vegintj.wordpress.com/2015/01/08/liberty-tree-lunch/

The marinated veg were heavy on the mushrooms, but they had been marinated in something delicious. It was on good multigrain bread. I hope to have it again on our next trip.

Any recent Le Cellier visit reports? Particularly vegan or non-dairy vegetarian? We're going in October (it's my Dad's favorite) and the vegetarian options all clearly have dairy (which I don't eat). I've been lucky with the chef in the past, but was wondering if anyone had a more recent report.

Hi all! We are headed to the world in about 33 days!! I am traveling with my husband, mother, father (meat eaters) and our 4 children (myself and the kids are vegan). Does anyone have experience with vegan children's meals??

Any one know if there is a day Chef TJ is regularly off? Thinking of booking, but want to try my best to make sure Chef TJ is there.

I have often wondered how many offerings there are for children who are vegan. I would like to hear what can be done, out of curiosity (no children here). My complete guess is that they would order off the adult menu?

Any one know if there is a day Chef TJ is regularly off? Thinking of booking, but want to try my best to make sure Chef TJ is there.

Chef TJ is typically off on Fridays and Saturdays. :)

Hi all! We are headed to the world in about 33 days!! I am traveling with my husband, mother, father (meat eaters) and our 4 children (myself and the kids are vegan). Does anyone have experience with vegan children's meals??
I can't verify it because I don't have kids (someday, and I do plan to raise them veggie when I do), but they do have Vegan pizza at select restaurants. I've had them to do a kid size portion of pasta and plain red sauce with a side salad at the food courts of various values when I wasn't that hungry. They'll do the Amy's Dairy-free Rice Mac & Cheese at some sit downs but I'm not sure if it is strictly vegan. Also, I'm not sure if they're vegan or not, but the PBJ's in the park are Smuckers Uncrustables, so you can check the ingredients in advance.

My kids are vegetarian but not vegan, and the children's menus often only have one (maybe two, if you're lucky) vegetarian option. And some places, like CRT, don't even have one meatless option on the children's menu... And the veg options usually are things like cheese pizza, mac & cheese, etc. That means to get vegan children's meals, you will likely be ordering off-menu most of the time. But the chefs should have no problem preparing something that your child will eat. My advice to you would be to get in touch with the Special Diets folks at Disney and get them to note on your account that you and your kids are meat, dairy, and egg-free. They can flag all of your reservations so that the restaurants know in advance that they will have people with special dietary needs coming in.

As a vegan who loves WDW, I will say that most restaurants are very accommodating, but you also have to be flexible because options may be quite limited at some places. Still, if you keep an open mind and a good attitude, you can still eat well and have a great time. Some of the best vegan meals I've ever had were at WDW restaurants!!! :)

I can't verify it because I don't have kids (someday, and I do plan to raise them veggie when I do), but they do have Vegan pizza at select restaurants.

Ah, yes. They will make vegan pizza (with dairy-free "cheese" and vegan crust) at Pinocchio's in MK, Pizzafari in AK, and Pizza Planet in HS. I had to speak with a manager and get a special order placed and waited longer for my pizza than the rest of my family did for their food, but the pizza was actually really good.

My dad and I are vegetarians and my mom is vegan. I'm trying to decide on ADR's. Between Boma, Kona, and the Wave, what do people think is better for breakfast? And between the Wave and Kona, what do people think is better for dinner? I really had a good experience at the Wave the last time I was there for dinner. In addition to the vegetarian curry on the menu, they said they could make any of the entrees for me using tofu instead of the listed protein. And the tofu was well cooked and well seasoned, which can be hard to find. So I'm wondering if we should do that again for dinner or branch out and try Kona.

We were at WDW in April and our experience at Kona was horrid - bad food, bad service, and so loud! I would definitely choose the Wave over Kona any time I had a choice. The Wave lunch vegetarian option is also quite good and they can make it vegan by removing the cheese.

We were at WDW in April and our experience at Kona was horrid - bad food, bad service, and so loud! I would definitely choose the Wave over Kona any time I had a choice. The Wave lunch vegetarian option is also quite good and they can make it vegan by removing the cheese.
Have others also had recent bad Kona experiences?

Have others also had recent bad Kona experiences?
I don't know that it was a "bad" experience, but we did not care for Kona. I had a cheese omelet with some sort of breakfast potatoes and toast. My daughter had pancakes. The pancakes were a little tough, like they'd been sitting there awhile. The omelet was fair to average - nothing special. The potatoes were dry. Maybe it was just an off day, because I hear a lot of good things about Kona. But I won't hurry back based on that first experience. The coffee was good. :)

Hello! This thread is wonderful and has helped me realize that the amazing vegan meal experiences I had at Boma and Jiko years ago were courtesy of Chef TJ. So now I've got my eye on a Trails End ADR to eat his food again! I've noticed his style at Trails End leans toward the spicy. Do you think someone that can't handle very spicy food would still enjoy it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter