Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

Okay! As long as this is what everyone is doing. I don't want to get there and then they say "You needed to let us know before now."

Well, for peace of mind I might call just to double check. But this is what we were told when my husband called before. I don't know if it is something they are implementing from now on or one of those things that they were trying out. I hate being a guniea pig. But if you are worried, you could always call to check. I will tell you even at a restaurant that did not have any vegetarian options on the menu (Grand Floridian Cafe) I was given both vegetarian and a vegan option. I had the vegan option and it was very good! Also LTT just put a house-made veggie burger on their menu that is clearly marked vegan. :goodvibes

...Chef said none of the five soups were even vegetarian. :( ...

WHAT?! I thought for sure there was always at least one vegetarian soup option! Were they obviously "meaty" or was it a hidden meat/stock issue? Boma has gotten such a great reputation for being one of the most vegetarian-friendly restaurants in Orlando - I hope it was just an off night and not an indication of where things are headed.

Ate at Narcoosee's this evening (on the bus back to POFQ now).

Narcoosee's currently has a vegetable lasagna on the menu but the chef made me a great vegan stir fry with tofu.

Also, I asked at 1900 and Chef TJ is working tomorrow night when we're dining there. Yay!

I'm at WDW now and was at Boma tonight.

Possible bad news for Boma fans:

No more fallafel or yellow curry with tofu. Chef Brian said they haven't had it since he's worked there, but he did make a decent effort to make me the curry (at least they still had tofu in the kitchen, but it wasn't featured in any buffet item).

He also told me the pita wasn't vegan but I think he was wrong.

Anyhow, with my two faves no longer on the menu, we won't be hitting Boma again this trip. There were only a few salad options and hot foods were limited to white rice, pasta w/o sauce, and chaka laka. Chef said none of the five soups were even vegetarian. :(

On a much kinder note, I'm hoping Chef TJ is working at 1900 on Weds.

How's Chef Mickey's for a vegan?

This is freaking me out as Boma was one of the best meals I had in 2008!

As for Chef Mickey, one of the worst. Maybe a vegetarian would have lots of options there? (kids mac-n-cheese, cheese pizza, etc although I think paying 35$ for those foods is outrageous) but there seemed to be ONE THING I could eat, which was some bunch of veggies (I remember a lot of grilled onions in it) that I ate. ONE thing on my plate at a buffet. And to be honest, I didn't even ask what was in it b/c it tasted a little buttery and I didn't want to find out that the only thing I could find on the buffet was loaded with butter. :rolleyes: It was really awful, but my family thought it was ok and we had ordered a cake for my dd, so the night wasn't a total wash. I would never choose to eat there again though.

Yeah. I was more freaked at Boma.

At POFQ getting a quick service vegan waffle breakfast now. I'm playing the "dairy allergy and I don't eat meat" card when asking for a vegan meal--noticing that indeed, "allergy" is the golden ticket to get help with a special meal.

Just ate at 1900 Park Fare (on Monorail now).

Full report later but meal was incredible!

I did find out that Chef TJ is off this week on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

My main advice if you get him is not to get anything else off the buffet--you're going to want to save space. But even without TJ, there's more vegan/veg options on their buffet than Boma--soup, veg sushi, salads.

But seriously, such a good meal! He made us spring rolls, hummus, chips, grilled romaine (so good), tofu and tempura broccoli, and a dessert tower!

Off to EPCOT now and pleasantly stuffed!

Can anyone confirm that the Vegetable shephards pie is no longer the vegetarian dish at Rose and Crown? I was soooo looking forward to this meal and hate curry! I hope the curry was just a fluke and not the norm.

Ate at Tusker House at AK today.

Wow.

So much vegan stuff and Chef Chico brought us vegan versions of a few veggies plus nice little dessert plates.

Even if we weren't on DDP the price was still very reasonable for lunch. Highly recommended.

Also: POFQ snack bar will make you a Tofutti milkshake with Silk. Had one last night and tonight--was even able to use a snack credit for it.

I can confirm that the new vegetarian dish is the curry. I got the chef because and got a duo of dishes. it was awesome!!

Ate at Tusker House at AK today.

Wow.

So much vegan stuff and Chef Chico brought us vegan versions of a few veggies plus nice little dessert plates.

Even if we weren't on DDP the price was still very reasonable for lunch. Highly recommended.

Also: POFQ snack bar will make you a Tofutti milkshake with Silk. Had one last night and tonight--was even able to use a snack credit for it.

Glad you had such a good experience at Tusker House. I'm thinking about adding that ADR to next year's list since they will be adding a character lunch soon. :goodvibes

Just a quick question, I'm looking at having breakfast at some of the CS food courts and noticed most items come with a side of bacon or saussage, what's the veggie option?

Just a quick question, I'm looking at having breakfast at some of the CS food courts and noticed most items come with a side of bacon or saussage, what's the veggie option?

I was offered some grapes, but that was it. Maybe someone else has been given a different option.

I got a huge side of potatoes with my vegan waffles. They made some without butter for me and it counted as part of my CS meal credit.

So last year we went to Iron Chef Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney's Boardwalk and the service and vegan meal were only okay.

So glad that it worked out that we ended up there again this evening.

Excellent vegan bread, spreads, a vegan sampler for an entree (with roasted vegetables, orzo, giant beans, and house made vegan cheeze!), and a yummy berry crumble for dessert.

Chef Miguel was so nice and accommodating! He put forth a lot of effort and it showed! He is very friendly as well, and knows about Chef TJ and seems to aspire to hit his level of notoriety with vegetarians/vegans.

Based on this meal, I'd bump Kouzzina up to my top tier for vegans, alongside Chef TJ at 1900 Park Fare and Tusker House at AK.

Hit the Whispering Canyon at WL today. Quinoa Cakes were pretty good -- but if you're ordering them, don't order a salad first (it comes with a good sized side salad that is almost identical).

Also did California Grill at the Contemporary. The whole "vegan unplugged" sampler entree was only okay: a potato and mushroom dish, two small pieces of the tomato flatbread, a warm beet salad over rice, and a salad with apple vinegarette and heirloom tomatoes.

I was disappointed because I had the flatbread as an appetizer already and it felt unimpressive overall. Also, they were super crowded and the chef did not come out to talk to me.

The service and view were great, but Narcoosee's offers that same wow with better food.

One other general thing: You can skip ordering a salad starter. It's all spring mix with one or two additional things for $10 to $15 more (and they've been showing up as a side to vegan entrees). We've probably wasted $100 on salad starters this trip. LOL

Has anyone had a vegan breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table lately? I went about six years ago as a vegetarian before I was a vegan so I am thinking there may not be many options since the healthy choice includes yogurt and the pastries have eggs.

If anyone has been as a vegan, please post any information. Thanks!

At Pop it was a biscuit. I get breakfast sandwiches (they'll make you one fresh without the meat on it) and the normal side was potatoes; the other option was a biscuit. I wanted fruit so bad by about the fourth day, and WISH I could've had some grapes!

At Pop it was a biscuit. I get breakfast sandwiches (they'll make you one fresh without the meat on it) and the normal side was potatoes; the other option was a biscuit. I wanted fruit so bad by about the fourth day, and WISH I could've had some grapes!

Looks like we're going to stay at POP next February :woohoo:

Hopefully I can get something else other than a biscuit, that would just be carb overload :( I'd be happy with one of those kids sized bags of grapes
We might just end up paying OOP for a fruit cup and a cinnamon roll or use a snack credit on it

I think unless we have breakfast away from the food court it's a waste of a CS credit, though the 'vegetable omelet' sounds good

I've stayed at POP and ASmovies and both food courts were very helpful. I was able to sub for grapes with no issues with all breakfast items. They even went in the back to check and see if the yogurt in the parfait was vegetarian for me. They will even get a manager or chef out to help you if you need it.

So, with my ADR date nearing, I have a couple nitty-gritty questions.

1) Any experience at Coral Reef with vegan food? (Soups, pasta or salad, mainly-I'd like to keep it <$$.) Also, is it possible to just get a veggie burger, I've heard all of the TS do, but need confirmation?

2) Is the dark chocolate at Goofy's Candy Compnay dairy-free?

3) I've heard Typhoon Lagoon offers Amy's mac-n-cheese at Leaning Palms, but is it the vegan kind?

Thanks so much everyone! :thumbsup2 :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter