Values? All-Stars?

Marsheliz

DIS Veteran
Looking at All-Star Movies... Really want to stay MOD but I cant get over how cheap the All-Star is.. It is $400.00 cheaper than a MOD but I am afraid I will be spoiled and I wont' like it... That $400.00 may go along way but that old saying "you get what you pay for" keeps playing over and over in my mind...

What do you think? :( Are the All Stars dumpy? :confused3

I've been staying at the All-Stars since 1998, and have never had a "dumpy" room or a bad experience. It's true you get very little in the way of amenities because after all it's a Value, but the rooms are clean (if small) and the CMs are very pleasant in my experience. I'm sure people are going to chime in now and say how much the All Stars suck, but I've always had a grand time.

Before staying Value I always stayed at the Polynesian and thought the Values were a big step down when told I would be staying at one, but my experience was just the opposite.

I don't think they are 'dumpy' at all. I've stayed at 'dumpy' and would never choose to stay at a 'dumpy' place on purpose. I've chosen All Stars every year since 2008. There was one time we got a bad room and when we asked for a new one we were immediately taken care of and given a new room that was in pristine condition.

The food courts have ample selections and variety. The bus service is as good, if not better, than other places. The All Stars are smaller than any of the moderates so even if you have to share a bus w/ another All Star it's not a big deal - at least no worse than staying at a larger resort.

I too believe in getting what you pay for and in this case I'd definitely save the $400. That money can go a long way toward gas, food, souvenirs, etc.

The only thing with the movie is that it is the buses. The buses stop at sports then music then movie if it has space. Most times you will be standing. Also it is the last stop of the 3 at the end of the night. We have stayed at both music and sports. Like sports better because of the buses.

They aren't dumpy at all in my experience! The rooms are smaller, but we usually spend our time at the parks, not at the resort.

Looking at All-Star Movies... Really want to stay MOD but I cant get over how cheap the All-Star is.. It is $400.00 cheaper than a MOD but I am afraid I will be spoiled and I wont' like it... That $400.00 may go along way but that old saying "you get what you pay for" keeps playing over and over in my mind...

I don't think they're dumpy, but they are very basic. One sink, Full sized beds, basic food court, pool no slide/no hot tub. No coffee pot.

I have done value when I needed to add days before or after my main stay because it was cheaper or I was on my own so didn't need a lot of room. My very first stay on Disney property was AllStar Music and it's my favorite of the values.

I must say MOD is my favorite level as far as price vs comfort/perks/atmosphere (I've done all three levels), but I'd totally do a value stay if that was what was in my budget and I wouldn't feel cheated at all.

Disney doesn't do dumpy. :)

I will admit that it took me many years to leave my comfort zone and stay at a value. I was pleasantly surprised.

So far I have stayed at Sports once and Pop twice. I would like to try Movies or Music, but hesitate do to them not being first on the bus lines.

Give it a try. If you don't like it, you don't have to stay there again. I can assure you, though, it will be safe and clean like any Disney resort.

Everyone always brings up that the Movies busses are last to get picked up, but doesn't that mean a shorter drive to the park, meaning not having a seat wouldn't be as big of a deal?

Last year we ended up doing a split stay at ASMo and CBR. My children (then ages 6 and 8) liked both places, and other than the pool being better at CBR, we didn't notice any big difference. In fact, we liked the food court better at the values (AS or POP--felt like more variety) and found the walk to the bus stop (at the resort, not the parks) and wait/travel time to be comparable. For us, the additional $ was not worth it for a mod. This year I am booking our entire trip at a value so that I can say yes to more extras which for us are more important than a larger room or resort amenities that we don't end up using. So if my children want popsicles twice a day every day I can say yes :) If there is a balloon or toy they really really want, then I can say yes :) And if I want to have an adult beverage lounging by the pool or send them on a pirate cruise then I can say yes :) For us the $400 would go a lot further in making a more relaxed and enjoyable vacation.

Thank you all for the responses... ;) I didnt even think about the bus situation. We really wont be in the room much either, thats why I am considering the value.... The only thing is- on the day of the MNSSHP- I would love to have a nicer pool with a slide etc.. for the kids as we will probably hang around there until 3... :( I hate making decisions...

And I know Disney doesnt do dumpy, I guess a bad choice of words... AHHH... I want to be in my happy place and i would even sleep outside.. :rotfl:

Go value!!!! we have stayed at ASMO, ASMU, POP and loved them all! last trip we just got back we had booked POR, and 3 nights in I was at the front desk begging to be moved to POP! It FOR US was so not worth the extra money, guess we found out that we love the values. and we have stayed at the Cont 1x, and POFQ 1x, and AKL 3x....but our favorite is the value and the extra money in our pockets and the Disney lively feeling that we get there. Just our opinion though, others may disagree!

Last year we ended up doing a split stay at ASMo and CBR. My children (then ages 6 and 8) liked both places, and other than the pool being better at CBR, we didn't notice any big difference. In fact, we liked the food court better at the values (AS or POP--felt like more variety) and found the walk to the bus stop (at the resort, not the parks) and wait/travel time to be comparable. For us, the additional $ was not worth it for a mod. This year I am booking our entire trip at a value so that I can say yes to more extras which for us are more important than a larger room or resort amenities that we don't end up using. So if my children want popsicles twice a day every day I can say yes :) If there is a balloon or toy they really really want, then I can say yes :) And if I want to have an adult beverage lounging by the pool or send them on a pirate cruise then I can say yes :) For us the $400 would go a lot further in making a more relaxed and enjoyable vacation.

I feel you on that... :) I want to give my kids whatever they want too but I know I can't... :( I see you have been to POP too, what do you think about that resort?

The only other thing I keep forgetting about is with free dining, no table service will be included... :(

Go value!!!! we have stayed at ASMO, ASMU, POP and loved them all! last trip we just got back we had booked POR, and 3 nights in I was at the front desk begging to be moved to POP! It FOR US was so not worth the extra money, guess we found out that we love the values. and we have stayed at the Cont 1x, and POFQ 1x, and AKL 3x....but our favorite is the value and the extra money in our pockets and the Disney lively feeling that we get there. Just our opinion though, others may disagree!

Oh wow! ;) That gives me some reassurance!! I need to check out what POP is like... I think I may have stayed there a loooongg time ago when I still lived with my parents. LOL

I was still up while the kids were sleeping and I told my husband, "I dont like the feel of this place and I want to move to POP!" he said ok, so next morning I went down and in 45 minutes we were packed up and on the bus to POP. Checked in and headed out to AK. all in 1 1/2 hours and we have a credit back to us :rotfl: who comes home from a 9 day trip to disney with a credit back to you? WE DID!

they credited us back the difference between the Value/Mod price for the nights we had left...we were of course already paid in full at POR, so it was just the difference in the room cost for the remainder of our stay, but truthfully at that point we would have moved either way! :lmao:

I want to add a couple thoughts:

The Values now have Mini-fridges in every room.

Movies may share w/ other All Stars, but not always. Often, if the bus is full they will send for another bus instead of cramming more people on. In busy seasons, the All Stars often each get their own buses.

If you are there during free dining, as another poster mentioned then you will get the quick service plan for free, but you CAN upgrade to the regular dining plan for $18/adult/ day and $3/child/day. :goodvibes

the fridges are wonderful now! I remember that was a big drawback but no more! add to that the excellent bus service and its the best bang for your buck!:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter