• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Value x Moderate x Deluxe

I was moved from Pop to BC for my 15 night trip.

I love Pop. It has a great CS food court with lots of options. The rooms are fine for myself and my niece. If you have more people in your family it may feel more cramped. The bus service is fine. Sometimes I've had to wait for a second or third bus to return back to the resort.

BC-I've never stayed at a Deluxe before. The beds are larger, the room is larger. There are two sinks outside the bathroom. There was a desk and a sofa (bed?) in the room we were in. There was also a sliding glass door that opened to a patio (never opened it as there was a DSA right outside). The bathtub/shower area had shelves for soap, shampoo, razor, etc. The drying cord was placed lower in the shower so it was more annoying if you had wet swimsuits up while you were taking a shower. You get 4 bottles (Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash and Lotion) plus two bars of soap.

The Marketplace has a small selection of items for CS meals. The refillable mugs can be filled here and also at Hurricane Hannah's (pool). They offer flavored syrup for the coffee in the Marketplace. Hurricane Hannah's serves burgers and hotdogs (no chicken). The pool area is very large. There are also 2 quiet pools one in BC the other in YC. There are two waterslides, but one is kidddie sized.

I walked to Epcot. Boat to DHS was easy and only waited one boat load to get home at night. Bus from AK is awful-it stops at Swan, Dolphin and Yacht Club before going to BC, then it goes to Boardwalk. MK bus only stops at Yacht Club before going to BC.

Had I not had to have CS so much at the resort (10 day park passes) I might have liked it more. Also knowing more about the resort would have made a big difference. We were dropped off and really had no idea of what the resort was like. I also didn't like that I had a fridge at Pop (Fridge Swap) that had a freezer in it and the fridge at BC did not. I like going to the parks with frozen beverages.

First of all, chances are you will love wherever you stay! We've been perfectly happy with each level, going in with reasonable expectations. It's all a matter of what you are looking for.

Values have fairly small rooms, the basics, but kind of a busy charm of their own with good food courts. Great for kids especially. Think Holiday Inn equiv.

Mods give you a little more space, a double sink, usually a fancier restaurant and a more themed pool. Nice for families with older kids perhaps? Think Hilton.

Deluxes have a dress restaurant, people fawning over you, all the trimmings. Maybe idea for adults, people celebrating special times. Think Waldorf-Astoria.

Personally, I always start with the moderates, then check the next level up - sometimes a moderate room is only a few dollars more than a value, and in that case I'd take the mod. (Preferably Coronado for us, as you get a health club and the crazy-good Pepper Market which the others don't offer). If not, I'd gladly take Pop or music, and use the money saved for a few special experiences, a special meal or a few quality souvenirs.

No need to fret your decisions though, all the hotels are very nice, all well staffed, all have the transportation and room key charging and so on... you'll have a great trip regardless.

Toxa,

Have fun on your trip.

Never stayed at BC. However... first trip: POR. Second trip: AKL.

AKL was worth every penny over POR.

That is not to say anything bad about POR. It was a lovely resort, and I'd stay there again. But... AKL blew me away.

I was worried going into it that I'd keep thinking about the price and would feel some disappointment simply because of that. (Stayed at Four Seasons Maui on our honeymoon as a total splurge--which gets all kinds of recognition and accolades. And yes it was beautiful and yes it deserves the accolades. And even still I had recurring thoughts of how much $$ it was. If we ever make it back to Hawaii, I won't stay there again, just because of that.)

However I had none of those thoughts at AKL. Not a single one.

Anyway. If you have the money and your gut told you that you would love BC, stick with it.

If you are really really concerned you'll be thinking about the $$ a lot while there, then sure, try a moderate.

With the exception of the Animal Kingdom Lodge, the other Deluxe Resorts have other transportation options besides buses of getting to the parks which they are very close to.

For example the Contemporary, Polynesian & Grand Floridian have the Resort Monorail which goes to the Magic Kingdom. Besides that the Contemporary also has a walkway that goes there, plus the Polynesian and Grand Floridian also share a boat which goes there. The Wilderness Lodge also has a boat which goes to the Magic Kingdom.

The Boardwalk, Yacht Club, Beach Club, Swan & Dolphin have walkways to the International Gateway entrance of Epcot and Hollywood Studios or you can take boats which go to those parks.

We have been "moderate" people for years. I do not care for the themes or the "busy" aspect of the values. The deluxes are great -- except the price. That being said, we just stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and Old Key West and if we could get a similar great deal, we'd be back there in a heartbeat.

We don't pick our resort based on transportation because we drive 99% of the time. The buses can be good or bad at any resort on any given day; the monorail, to me, is overrated, because it can be just as crowded or break down (we had issues with the monorail again this trip and I swore it would be the last time we used it).

The values do not have the fridges or coffee makers and they have the smaller beds; the moderates have queens at the CSR and POFQ and POR is currently getting them (this leaves CBR as the only one without queen beds) and the moderates have the fridge, coffee maker, curtain (except CSR has sliding doors) separating bathroom from bedroom and slides at the pool.

The deluxes have better restaurants and more transportation options in most cases.

If I keep deluxe now, and go value or moderate on a future trip (we're seriously talking about having kids :cool1:), would I "spoil" the experience?

I don't think so. We stayed at the GF last trip and did miss the POR resort while there. Though the monorail and the Electrical Water Parade we will miss. This trip we are staying at the BC. I am sure that we will love it. Though if and when we go back with our older kids as well we will need to stay at POR for budget reasons.

If you do not have kids now I think that the BC would be ideal. I cannot imagine a more romantic time than being able to stroll over to the World Showcase at your leisure for drinks and meals. Plus with BC you can check out 4 other resorts. BW, YC, Dolphin and the Swan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter