Valet parking a rental car...PSA

sluggozmom

DIS Veteran
Of course it makes sense now, although it never crossed my mind until I was talking to an insurance person.
The subject came up when I was talking to an AMEX agent about premium rental coverage an I mentioned the valet wrecking my car in Boston a month ago.
Major big time PITA!

A valet is not named as an authorized driver on your rental agreement... which would leave you basically in the lurch having violated the rental agreement. Sure the Valet company has insurance, but I can only imagine how much fun it would be getting it all straightened out.

That's a really good point! We never use valet - my husband doesn't trust anyone (which, apparently, sometimes is a good thing!), but definitely a good thing to keep in mind if I'm ever by myself with a rental car.

Nope, we never use the valet. My husband is the same - doesn't trust anyone with our car and since I am in insurance, I never want a valet driving my car or my rental

Of course it makes sense now, although it never crossed my mind until I was talking to an insurance person.
The subject came up when I was talking to an AMEX agent about premium rental coverage an I mentioned the valet wrecking my car in Boston a month ago.
Major big time PITA!

A valet is not named as an authorized driver on your rental agreement... which would leave you basically in the lurch having violated the rental agreement. Sure the Valet company has insurance, but I can only imagine how much fun it would be getting it all straightened out.

I hadn't thought of that, but thanks for mentioning it! That's good to remember!

I posted about this many years ago here on the Dis.

Rental contracts used to automatically state that valet personel were authorized.
That changed. Now it's a huge mess because technically, putting insurance aside, the registration is not even valid unless a named (or covered) driver is at the wheel.

Not good. Period.

MG

I once saw a valet parker crash a Cadillac SRX head on into a car entering the Grand Floridian. Just came out of the valet area without stopping or looking. Wonder how that played out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter