utah to the grand canyon

Discussion in 'California & the West' started by lillybug, Feb 10, 2013.

1. lillybug

lillybug Mouseketeer

We are planning a side trip to the grand canyon on our way to Disneyland this coming weekend. I was wondering if anyone here has driven the road from Cedar City, UT to Grand Canyon Village and can tell me what to expect. Are there any mountain passes or winter closed roads that I should be concerned with? What's worth stopping for, etc.

(A friend mentioned that a section of the Canyon can be seen just a short drive out of Vegas, but I'm having a hard time finding any info on that?)

Any information on the trip from GCV to Anaheim would be helpful as well.

TIA :goodvibes

2. GrandBob

GrandBob <font color=blue>Grand events should not go unnoti

Google Grand Canyon Skywalk. It's on the Hualapai reservation, and is sometimes referred to as the "West Rim". Still almost 3 hours from Vegas, but closer than South or North Rim. I haven't been, but everything I've read says it's not the same, and a tourist trap. You have to pay to enter the reservation, pay to park, pay to get on the Skywalk, etc. And it's not at all the same kind of view as the South or North Rim, as it's too far down-canyon.

-Bob

3. lillybug

lillybug Mouseketeer

'

Thank you for the information. That makes my decision much easier.

4. bcla

bcla DIS Veteran

The last maybe 10 miles to the Skywalk is still unpaved. Not sure about driving a rental car there, as it would technically be considered off-road to drive that long off pavement.

There are tour packages with an included shuttle ride from/to Las Vegas.