Using RCI to book DVC

GusGus77

DIS Veteran
Hi! I am new at trying to get DVC on RCI and hope some of you can help.

1. I put in an ongoing search through RCI for DVC for the end of September. (We own Wyndham.) I know DVC usually appears in RCI about 4 months ahead of time and in groups. I also know the chances of a 2 bedroom being available are slim to none. I have searches ongoing for both one and two bedrooms (one for SSR and one for all other DVC resorts except OKW as it will be under refurbishment.) My question is, if there by some miracle is a 2 bedroom available, would it be likely to be put into inventory on RCI at the same time as the one bedrooms? Does SSR get deposited before some of the other resorts if they were to be available or is it just random? (We are happy with SSR but Animal Kingdom or one of the other places would be really neat.)

2. Another question I have is what day is my best shot for check in with DVC for a week stay? I put Friday or Saturday as that works best for us. We are driving from Illinois and would prefer not to have to take off extra days ofwork for travel time, but didn't know if there is another day that we would be more likely to get something besides SSR or get a two bedroom.

3. Lastly, I was wondering opinions as right now DH and I are back and forth as to what to do (And we know it is luck if the draw so there are no guarantees.) I am hoping someone has more knowledge of the system and can provide good feedback/opinions. We have never traded into DVC before. So here is the situation. We have enough points in RCI for a 1 bedroom. Due to going in a low season, we are only 11k points short of a 2 bedroom (so point wise that would be a little less than one night in the middle of the week during value season for a 1 bedroom at one of the resorts we normally go to.) IF a 2-bedroom were to become available, we may or may not have enough time to deposit those extra points in RCI before losing the room depending on the day and time it shows up in the system and how quickly it is processed. Also, a 1 bedroom may become available before a 2 bedroom would appear and since we really want to stay at DVC that week and wouldn't want to lose a chance at a room at all, we would probably book whatever hits first on the search (both number of rooms and location.) So, do we play Russian roulette with points and request the deposit of points only if a 2 bedroom hits and pray they transfer in time (if they don't we effectively will lose those points as we don't normally use RCI AND would have the knowledge we have lost the coveted impossible to find two bedroom unit! Do we transfer the points now so if by some miracle we get a hit on a two bedroom we can book it (but will again lose those points if a one bedroom hits first?) Do we just say a 2 bedroom will never happen on RCI (and certainly not before we get a hit on a one bedroom) and not even do an ongoing search for it? We are looking at a week starting September 23 or 24 if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

You probably won't get a two bedroom. I've heard you only have SSR or OKW in a one bedroom to choose from. Unless you do an ongoing search. I've heard other successes doing that. Check out TUG for more information.

We own Wyndham as well and do many trades using an ongoing search. I never deposit points before a match is made. Once a match is made, you have at least 3 days (more if it matches on a weekend) to confirm. Once I see the match, then I go and deposit the points into RCI, which shows up the next day.

That said, a 2 bedroom at a WDW DVC has not been reported for a long time (I follow the TUG Sightings board regularly). AKV pops up once in a while. I remember a couple reports of VWL in the last year, but maybe that's due to the construction, and once a report of BWV.

Sorry to say, but a 2BR will not happen unless DVC start changing what they deposit. In theory a new deposit pattern could start happening, how likely that is I don't know but I wouldn't count on it. You might be able to pick up 2 x 1Br at Ssr. Don't expect any of those ssr to have the preferred view.

With your ongoing search you might pick up ssr but not any of the others. A lot of other people is searching all year long for anything except for ssr and Okw. You would therefore need to have a seasoned search (Closer to 24 month than 18 months of age) the age is a guesstimate but that's how it been in the past, maybe they need to older now I don't know. I have a search running which will be approx 20-22 months old by the time it reaches my checkin date. If it doesn't match I'll extend it for the rest or the year + 2018. I know others are doing the same, and you are competing against anyone else who has put in a search for the same dates as you.

Since searches only picks up weeks deposits you need to stalk RCI every day for points deposits. When I say stalk I really mean it, that way I picked up AKV and BWV. The BWV I picked up was in august 2016 with checkin January 2017. I eventually released the BWV because we couldn't go.

When selecting your checkin day you can't be picky, you need to take whatever you can get which is either Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

I just looked at RCI and currently there are 3 resort available, AKV, Okw and ssr. They had 1 unit available per resort. Dates in march and April. Those are either points deposits or leftovers that no one would have.

Regards

Sorry to say, but a 2BR will not happen unless DVC start changing what they deposit. In theory a new deposit pattern could start happening, how likely that is I don't know but I wouldn't count on it. You might be able to pick up 2 x 1Br at Ssr. Don't expect any of those ssr to have the preferred view.

With your ongoing search you might pick up ssr but not any of the others. A lot of other people is searching all year long for anything except for ssr and Okw. You would therefore need to have a seasoned search (Closer to 24 month than 18 months of age) the age is a guesstimate but that's how it been in the past, maybe they need to older now I don't know. I have a search running which will be approx 20-22 months old by the time it reaches my checkin date. If it doesn't match I'll extend it for the rest or the year + 2018. I know others are doing the same, and you are competing against anyone else who has put in a search for the same dates as you.

Since searches only picks up weeks deposits you need to stalk RCI every day for points deposits. When I say stalk I really mean it, that way I picked up AKV and BWV. The BWV I picked up was in august 2016 with checkin January 2017. I eventually released the BWV because we couldn't go.

When selecting your checkin day you can't be picky, you need to take whatever you can get which is either Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

I just looked at RCI and currently there are 3 resort available, AKV, Okw and ssr. They had 1 unit available per resort. Dates in march and April. Those are either points deposits or leftovers that no one would have.

Regards

Thank you. This is helpful.

We own Wyndham as well and do many trades using an ongoing search. I never deposit points before a match is made. Once a match is made, you have at least 3 days (more if it matches on a weekend) to confirm. Once I see the match, then I go and deposit the points into RCI, which shows up the next day.

That said, a 2 bedroom at a WDW DVC has not been reported for a long time (I follow the TUG Sightings board regularly). AKV pops up once in a while. I remember a couple reports of VWL in the last year, but maybe that's due to the construction, and once a report of BWV.

I asked RCI today (online help) and was told you only have 24hrs to confirm the match before it goes back into inventory. I wonder if this is a new change?

I asked RCI today (online help) and was told you only have 24hrs to confirm the match before it goes back into inventory. I wonder if this is a new change?

I vaguely remember TUG posts where people said 24 hours, but they were not Wyndham. It may be different for the mini-system portals.

I can't tell you definitively that there was no change. But I can tell you that I received an e-mail on 1/3/17 9 pm with a match and the e-mail said held until end of business day 1/7/17.

It has been the same for ages.

What the CSR did'nt tell your or maybe he did'nt know was that the 24 hours are only when you put something on hold yourself manually. If you get a match through an ongoing search your always have a few days.

Just a note, if you want to do a hold or grab something you find yourself in inventory, you do need the points deposited to do that. It's just the ongoing search that don't need any points deposited to hold.

Good luck with your search!

Just a note, if you want to do a hold or grab something you find yourself in inventory, you do need the points deposited to do that. It's just the ongoing search that don't need any points deposited to hold.

Good luck with your search!

I am guessing a 2 bedroom would NEVER show up randomly in inventory, so I am not worried about that. We have plenty of points for a 1 bedroom.

Hi! I am new at trying to get DVC on RCI and hope some of you can help.

1. I put in an ongoing search through RCI for DVC for the end of September. (We own Wyndham.) I know DVC usually appears in RCI about 4 months ahead of time and in groups. I also know the chances of a 2 bedroom being available are slim to none. I have searches ongoing for both one and two bedrooms (one for SSR and one for all other DVC resorts except OKW as it will be under refurbishment.) My question is, if there by some miracle is a 2 bedroom available, would it be likely to be put into inventory on RCI at the same time as the one bedrooms? Does SSR get deposited before some of the other resorts if they were to be available or is it just random? (We are happy with SSR but Animal Kingdom or one of the other places would be really neat.)

2. Another question I have is what day is my best shot for check in with DVC for a week stay? I put Friday or Saturday as that works best for us. We are driving from Illinois and would prefer not to have to take off extra days ofwork for travel time, but didn't know if there is another day that we would be more likely to get something besides SSR or get a two bedroom.

3. Lastly, I was wondering opinions as right now DH and I are back and forth as to what to do (And we know it is luck if the draw so there are no guarantees.) I am hoping someone has more knowledge of the system and can provide good feedback/opinions. We have never traded into DVC before. So here is the situation. We have enough points in RCI for a 1 bedroom. Due to going in a low season, we are only 11k points short of a 2 bedroom (so point wise that would be a little less than one night in the middle of the week during value season for a 1 bedroom at one of the resorts we normally go to.) IF a 2-bedroom were to become available, we may or may not have enough time to deposit those extra points in RCI before losing the room depending on the day and time it shows up in the system and how quickly it is processed. Also, a 1 bedroom may become available before a 2 bedroom would appear and since we really want to stay at DVC that week and wouldn't want to lose a chance at a room at all, we would probably book whatever hits first on the search (both number of rooms and location.) So, do we play Russian roulette with points and request the deposit of points only if a 2 bedroom hits and pray they transfer in time (if they don't we effectively will lose those points as we don't normally use RCI AND would have the knowledge we have lost the coveted impossible to find two bedroom unit! Do we transfer the points now so if by some miracle we get a hit on a two bedroom we can book it (but will again lose those points if a one bedroom hits first?) Do we just say a 2 bedroom will never happen on RCI (and certainly not before we get a hit on a one bedroom) and not even do an ongoing search for it? We are looking at a week starting September 23 or 24 if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
1. The chances of a 2 BR are extremely slim but not zero. If it happened I don't think there'd be any rhyme or reason to when other than likely very short notice. You'll have to decide if you want to take more chances and not list SSR. I think your chances are good for AKV but better for SSR. I'd do SSR as well. OKW, SSR and AKV are the only ones feasible.

2. It seems Fri, Sat and Sunday are fairly evenly distributed from what I've seen. The more you limit yourself, the less your chances.

3. I'd just put in the request for what you can get. I'm not sure how an ongoing request works for Wyndham, if you can start it for a 2 BR without the points there, I suspect they'll contact you and you'd have 24 hours.

It's not new but it may be till the close of business the next day rather than 24 hrs, I've gotten both answers over time. That assumes you have that option with Wyndham DVC owners do not.

AFAIK, there has not been a single reported sighting of a 2BR on TUG since November 2014. I'd say that's close enough to zero to be zero.
I agree but the problem with being absolute is things happen. Esp if they have to do a later timed deposit. I'd be willing to bet there has been at least one 2 BR deposit within that period in question.

Perhaps, but that includes a lot of people (me among them) with very well-aged ongoing searches. The bottom line is that if you need a 2BR for some reason, you should absolutely have a backup plan that you can live with, because you will almost certainly need it.

Perhaps, but that includes a lot of people (me among them) with very well-aged ongoing searches. The bottom line is that if you need a 2BR for some reason, you should absolutely have a backup plan that you can live with, because you will almost certainly need it.
I don't disagree, I just don't think one can be absolute.

Hi! I've traded into DVC many times through RCI. The good news is that there is usually lots of inventory for September. We usually go every year at that time for my kids' fall break. We've stayed at BCV, BWC, WL, and SSR. I've passed on AKL. So yes it is very possible to get something other than SSR or OKW!!

I also haven't gotten a 2BR since Sept 14. Last year I was able to get two 1BR at SSR, which honestly worked out better for us so my in laws had a separate space. We loved SSR! We had an awesome view of DS right near the walkway and steps from the quiet pool. SSR called me and asked our room preference and we ended up being down the hall from our family.

I can tell you that deposits appear online around 10:30 am and 1:30 pm EST and occasionally overnight/early morning. You want to stalk the site beginning 5 months out (use to be 7) up until 2 weeks before your travel date. Lots of last minute deposits are for something other than SSR! Ongoing search matches may start to match before 5 months depending on how aged your search is.

Good Luck!!

Another option is to book a studio at ssr either through a DVC member or directly(I know you need to lock in your dates).

Then start a search at RCI for the exact same dates. IF you get the reservation at RCI then you could request a 2br with MS. It's only a request so no guarantees.

Imho that scenario is more likely to happen than a deposit of 2br units. I know it's a lot of IF's but maybe it could happen.

I can tell you that deposits appear online around 10:30 am and 1:30 pm EST and occasionally overnight/early morning. You want to stalk the site beginning 5 months out (use to be 7) up until 2 weeks before your travel date. Lots of last minute deposits are for something other than SSR!
Great information

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter