>> Using Pools at Other Resorts - FAQ and Questions Thread (No Debate) <<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to muddy the waters (haha) here, but about the DVC members/renting points thing:

In Spring of 2008, we (non-DVC members) rented points and stayed at OKW. From check-in to check-out we were treated as though we WERE DVC members, our KTTW cards even said DVC member on them. We didn't pool hop because we had no time, but it was explained at the desk when we checked in that we could if we wanted to (but not SAB) as DVC members.

Has this changed? Are non-DVC members staying on points handled differently now? Or were we just the lucky recipients of a happy mistake? I'm interested in a clarification.

Just got back yesterday from 10 days at AKV & BCV.

We are DVC members & were staying on points at both resorts. The KTTW cards no longer state "DVC Member" on them (even for us members). So to prove you are a member, you need to present your blue member card.

As a side note, I saw more people trying to get in (without having KTTW cards proving they were guests of Y&BC) at the SAB entrance by Beaches & Cream, than I ever have before. We always get one of those umbrella tables right there by the entrance, so I saw & heard people all day long.

People were getting turned away right & left. Oh, & some of the excuses...just hilarious!! :rotfl: Those cast members were NOT letting anyone in.

I don't want to muddy the waters (haha) here, but about the DVC members/renting points thing:

In Spring of 2008, we (non-DVC members) rented points and stayed at OKW. From check-in to check-out we were treated as though we WERE DVC members, our KTTW cards even said DVC member on them. We didn't pool hop because we had no time, but it was explained at the desk when we checked in that we could if we wanted to (but not SAB) as DVC members.

Has this changed? Are non-DVC members staying on points handled differently now? Or were we just the lucky recipients of a happy mistake? I'm interested in a clarification.

That was an error on the part of the CM explaining stuff to you. The member you rent from is required to notify Member Services that they have received compensation from your to use the reservation. Thus, you are not a guest of the member.

Since you compensated the member and are not a guest of the member (no compensation paid to the member to be a guest), you are not entitled to any DVC perks or benefits other than staying in a great villa at a good price. You still get all the Disney resort guest benefits like using WDW transportation, access to EMH and ME, ability to send your package back to your resort instead of having to carry them.

Just got back yesterday from 10 days at AKV & BCV.

We are DVC members & were staying on points at both resorts. The KTTW cards no longer state "DVC Member" on them (even for us members). So to prove you are a member, you need to present your blue member card.

As a side note, I saw more people trying to get in (without having KTTW cards proving they were guests of Y&BC) at the SAB entrance by Beaches & Cream, than I ever have before. We always get one of those umbrella tables right there by the entrance, so I saw & heard people all day long.

People were getting turned away right & left. Oh, & some of the excuses...just hilarious!! :rotfl: Those cast members were NOT letting anyone in.

I'm glad to hear they are cracking down on pool hoppers. It really is tacky, if it isn't one of your DVC perks. However, I think you owe it to us to post some of the more creative excuses you heard given. I know I'm very curious.:)

I'm glad to hear they are cracking down on pool hoppers. It really is tacky, if it isn't one of your DVC perks. However, I think you owe it to us to post some of the more creative excuses you heard given. I know I'm very curious.:)

I think this is one of them: 我不會說恩格斯 :rotfl2:

That was an error on the part of the CM explaining stuff to you. The member you rent from is required to notify Member Services that they have received compensation from your to use the reservation. Thus, you are not a guest of the member.

Since you compensated the member and are not a guest of the member (no compensation paid to the member to be a guest), you are not entitled to any DVC perks or benefits other than staying in a great villa at a good price. You still get all the Disney resort guest benefits like using WDW transportation, access to EMH and ME, ability to send your package back to your resort instead of having to carry them.

That's a very fine distinction and I think that you made it clear. The one exception is members renting/borrowing points from members. We do that. But we're still members and it doesn't matter on whose points we're staying. For instance, a couple of times we rented points from another member and combined them with our own to complete the length of our stay. Whether we put the points in our own account, or transferred our points to the other party's account (because theirs were not transferrable as they were banked) and reserved the reservation on the other party's membership... we're still members staying on points.

I really don't see the point in pool hopping most of the time. There just isn't enough time usually. We've pool hopped to the Grand Floridian to visit with friend's staying there (since we could hop and they couldn't), but that pool isn't anything special. We now have BLT points, and are planning next year to stay at BLT, but I probably would want to pool hop if possible to Saratoga (my other home resort) because I just like the quiet pool over there.

Not a debate, just an opinion. I think it is funny that there are people on this thread who talk "down" about people who choose to pool hop. Really?? It is a fun perk and we have always done it and have never had or caused a problem. JMHO.

I don't think anyone is "talking down" those people who are entitled to pool hop. The people who cause annoyance are those who are not entitled to hop, and for some reason think the rules that govern pool hopping don't apply to them.

Not a debate, just an opinion. I think it is funny that there are people on this thread who talk "down" about people who choose to pool hop. Really?? It is a fun perk and we have always done it and have never had or caused a problem. JMHO.

You just need to make it clear on this thread that you are a DVC member staying on points at a DVC resort and pool hopping is not blacked out. Not everyone is entitled to pool hop.

Does someone have a link on the "rules" of pool hopping?

Check out the first post in this thread. The link to Disney's site is in the first section of the FAQ.

If you're looking for the DVC pool hopping rules, you'll find them on dvcmember.com.

what if you truly are a GUEST of a member? in other words
you are staying on points, you are not a DVC member, but have NOT compenstated the member for points, they are friends or family.

I ask because every time a perk is mentioned, you always say the member is required to notify the resort if they have "rented" the points. what if you are really a GUEST?

We just got back from the Polynesian on Wednesday (7/6/11) and the staff was checking resort IDs at the volcano pool. All Poly guests were asked to wear a wrist band to identify themselves and so cast members didn't keep asking them for ID. It seems like most guests were happy to wear the wrist bands.

what if you truly are a GUEST of a member? in other words
you are staying on points, you are not a DVC member, but have NOT compenstated the member for points, they are friends or family.

I ask because every time a perk is mentioned, you always say the member is required to notify the resort if they have "rented" the points. what if you are really a GUEST?

DVC Members are asked to show their membership card, therefore guests aren't eligible to pool hop. Only owners.

not sure. member perks being used by renters has been abused a lot, so i believe they are requiring the blue DVC member card to access benefits more these days (and have taken the "DVC member" off the KTTW cards).

but i don't think pool hopping was ever supposed to be a perk for anyone other than the DVC member (and their guests in that villa) staying onsite on a points reservation.

not sure. member perks being used by renters has been abused a lot, so i believe they are requiring the blue DVC member card to access benefits more these days (and have taken the "DVC member" off the KTTW cards).

but i don't think pool hopping was ever supposed to be a perk for anyone other than the DVC member (and their guests in that villa) staying onsite on a points reservation.

I realize that pool hopping was never meant to be a "perk" for anyone except DVC members.

I was just wondering what the opposite of that statement was.:

Since you compensated the member and are not a guest of the member (no compensation paid to the member to be a guest), you are not entitled to any DVC perks or benefits other than staying in a great villa at a good price.

ie: since you did NOT compensate the member and ARE a guest of the member, you are.......

I was just wondering what the end of that sentance would be.

and if compensation is the issue, than what is the difference between those who did or did not compensate the owner?

and if their IS no difference at all, what does is matter if the DVC owner informs Memeber services that they were compensated?

Well don't forget when staying at sister resorts such as the Yacht Club/Beach Club, All Star Sports/Music/Movies and Port Orleans French Quater/Port Orleans Riverside, you are allowed to use any of the pools those resorts have available.

I guess there is also the fact that anyone staying at Bay Lake Tower can use the pool at the Contemporary, although it's not the other way around because Contemporary guests are not allowed to swim at the Bay Lake Tower pool.

ie: since you did NOT compensate the member and ARE a guest of the member, you are.......

...still not eligible to pool hop since you aren't an owner and don't hold a DVC membership card in your own name, which is required to be shown if asked by a castmember at a pool.

...still not eligible to pool hop since you aren't an owner and don't hold a DVC membership card in your own name, which is required to be shown if asked by a castmember at a pool.

sigh. you missed my point.

I'm not arguing for pool hopping. I'm wondering what the difference would be between those RENTING " points and those who did NOT compenstae the member for the points .
not necessarily for pool hopping, but.. anything. what's the difference? and, if none, what dif. does it make if the member is Supposed to inform member services that they were compensated for their points.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter