Using Points and $$$?

house_of_princesses

<font color=FF66FF>Has a multitude of DIS friends
I am a new DVC Member and have a question, please...

I want a two bedroom unit from Sunday (check in) through Saturday (check out). If I didn't have enough points, can I pay cash for the last night (Friday) and, typically, how much does a room like this cost? (I have an annual pass.)

We are going early November, my home resort is OKW.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me!! :sunny: :wave:

I assume you have no more points to borrow?

In value season, the cash price for a 2BR at OKW is $479 (less your DVC discount) plus taxes. If you need less than 48 points to add the Friday night you may want to consider a point transfer from another DVC member. Often, you can find points for $10 or less.

with your annual passport a two bedroom is $375 plus tax. A studio is $169 right now, and the one bedroom is $255. I always stretch my points by paying cash for a room on Friday and Saturday nights. It's cheaper to rent out your points and use the money to pay for the room on the weekends. At OKW a two bedroom costs 40 points during the week, so you can rent those points for $400, and pay cash on Saturday. It's like paying 40 points for a weekend night! It only works if they have the rates available, though. I called for August--I'm staying in a studio at SSR on August 20-22 for $169 per night. You have to call Central Reservations, not MS, to get these rates, though, because they are on the Annual Passport. I could have stayed at OKW for the same rates.:p

I got a 30% annual pass discount for a Friday night at OKW in May. Since I booked through CRO, the reservations could not be linked. I had to go to the front desk on Friday morning and get new keys and parking permit. I was no problem keeping the same room, they noted it when I checked in the prior Sunday. We got full housekeeping on Friday.

You can also check if a member discount is available. That is 25% off and the reservations will be linked, so you do not need to check in again. Housekeeping follows the DVC schedule.

Debbie,
You were robbed! They can(and do) link ressies all the time! What you do is have MS note that you have a cash ressie for such-and-such nights, and then call CRO and have them note that you have such-and-such nights on points. That way you don't have to go to the front desk at all, they do all the work. We didn't even have to get new keys this time!:p And we got our one bedroom for $255, which I think is more than 30% off. MS didn't have the room for cash when I asked, so I had to go thru CRO, and it worked out very well.;)

Originally posted by Cruelladeville
with your annual passport a two bedroom is $375 plus tax. A studio is $169 right now, and the one bedroom is $255. I always stretch my points by paying cash for a room on Friday and Saturday nights. It's cheaper to rent out your points and use the money to pay for the room on the weekends. At OKW a two bedroom costs 40 points during the week, so you can rent those points for $400, and pay cash on Saturday. It's like paying 40 points for a weekend night! It only works if they have the rates available, though. I called for August--I'm staying in a studio at SSR on August 20-22 for $169 per night. You have to call Central Reservations, not MS, to get these rates, though, because they are on the Annual Passport. I could have stayed at OKW for the same rates.:p
While it usualy works out, it is not possible to guarantee not having to move when cash through CRO and points.

Originally posted by Cruelladeville
Debbie,
You were robbed! They can(and do) link ressies all the time! What you do is have MS note that you have a cash ressie for such-and-such nights, and then call CRO and have them note that you have such-and-such nights on points. That way you don't have to go to the front desk at all, they do all the work. We didn't even have to get new keys this time!:p And we got our one bedroom for $255, which I think is more than 30% off. MS didn't have the room for cash when I asked, so I had to go thru CRO, and it worked out very well.;)

I did have both reservations noted but they said I had to return to the front desk on Friday. When I went to the front desk on Friday morning, there were others in line doing the same thing, getting new keys. It was only a few minutes, it wasn't a big deal. I noticed the new keys & parking permit I got for the last night did not have "member" on them. In May, it was regular season, I paid $270 plus tax (1 bedroom). I did get full housekeeping on Friday.

Last year I did the member discount through MS. I did get keys & the parking permit for the entire stay that time. No extra housekeeping, per DVC rules.

We are going in Nov. & staying in a 2BR from Sunday through Friday on points. I had a cash ressie reserved for $479 for the Friday night. I called back a few times to see if I could get a better rate & finally got $359 + tax the other day. I did it right through Member Services. Do you think I'll have to go get another key & parking pass on Friday morning?

Our other option is to move to the Poly, which I've always wanted to stay at, however, for the convenience of staying where we are for just a few $'s more & only one night (unless great AP rates come out) I'm planning on staying in the 2BR.

Originally posted by MELSMICE
We are going in Nov. & staying in a 2BR from Sunday through Friday on points. I had a cash ressie reserved for $479 for the Friday night. I called back a few times to see if I could get a better rate & finally got $359 + tax the other day. I did it right through Member Services. Do you think I'll have to go get another key & parking pass on Friday morning?

Our other option is to move to the Poly, which I've always wanted to stay at, however, for the convenience of staying where we are for just a few $'s more & only one night (unless great AP rates come out) I'm planning on staying in the 2BR.

If you got it from member services, it will be considered one stay and you will get keys for the entire time.

Originally posted by DebbieB
If you got it from member services, it will be considered one stay and you will get keys for the entire time.

Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter