1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Using phone as a hotspot

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by 4littleones, Sep 22, 2012.

1. 4littleones

4littleones DIS Veteran

Just got the option to use my phone as a hotspot. My plan is to use my phone for connecting my 3 android tablets while on our 16 hour drive so my kids can play games listen to ebooks etc. I know some games are stored on the SD card but I think somethings require wifi to work well. Do you think my phone with the hotspot will do okay providing this? I have multiple batteries and of course I can charge my phone in the car too.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. bdoyledimou

bdoyledimou Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in

it CAN do it -- but what kind of data plan do you have? that much data is going to suck up 1-2 gbs (and if one of the kids decides to watch a movie -------:confused3

4. Mr. Green

Mr. Green Earning My Ears

If you have unlimited data, it should work. If you connect a bunch of devices to it and have a Data Plan, you might run over real quick in a short time.

5. 4littleones

4littleones DIS Veteran

It is an unlimited Data plan.

Sounds like it will work! I don't think we will be running 3 tablets nonstop, just something else for them to do. I already have them and they don't take up a lot of room so I figured why not?

6. MickeyHereWeCome!

MickeyHereWeCome! DIS Veteran

We do it all the time with our four kids, and it was a lifesaver driving down to Florida in July. We don't have unlimited data, but we have never gone over, even in the months using it as a hotspot. I figure even if we do go over one month, it is worth it to save our sanity on a long trip!

7. 4littleones

4littleones DIS Veteran

THX! Makes me much less like a weirdo for asking :rotfl2:
    I tried it last night (taking my phone off wifi and taking the tablets off wifi and then just using my 3g with the hotspot) and it does pretty well. I read that it can be tough to charge the phone with the hotspot on because the battery can overheat. I hope I don't run into a problem with that.

8. sunshinehighway

sunshinehighway DIS Veteran

I use mine as a hotspot. It can overheat but the battery drains so quickly I have to keep it charging. In the summer I just keep a fan on it and its fine.

My phone is 3g and one thing I fine it too slow for is streaming tv/movies.

9. 4littleones

4littleones DIS Veteran

I bought 3 batteries for this trip so hopefully we can make it a half a days drive! Oh and my DD (5 yr old) is stringing applejacks cereal on a string necklace she will eat later. I totally forgot about the simple car activities to keep them busy.

10. MickeyHereWeCome!

MickeyHereWeCome! DIS Veteran

It definitely does drain my battery a lot quicker! I just keep it plugged in/charging in the car when I have it on. I notice my iPhone gets pretty warm, too, but it's never really overheated.

11. camlace

camlace DIS Veteran

Make sure your hotspot plan and your data plan are one in the same when you say it is unlimited. I have an unlimited data plan, but my mobile hotspot plan has a usage limit. You don't want that surprise on your bill!

12. heather13

heather13 DIS Veteran

We just did this on our last trip as a test (it was only a 4 hour drive).
    Worked well except the phone had to be plugged in the whole time, the phone tended to overheat unless it was being kept out of the sun, and if we got a call (or when DH tried to listen to music on his phone) the connection was lost. But it was awesome to have!