using old magic bands for a new resort to stay

iambrink

DIS Veteran
we have magic bands from a stay last December and have an upcoming stay in May. I would prefer to use the ones we have so I don't have another set of bands lying around the house. Anyone have any problems if they did that before?

I am pretty positive that you will be able to use your old ones as long as every MB is still linked in your MDE. We have a full set of the magic bands and bring them all every trip... LOL (to color coordinate with outfits!) All of my MBs unlock our hotel room door and have charging on them.

As long as they are still linked in your MDE they will work. Just decline new bands instead of customize them.

Fun! I'd love to reuse our old set, in addition to the new ones we'll get for our summer trip. I wonder if 9 months is too long for the battery charge to last?

All your magic bands will continue to work for any trip - they are linked to your DME account. We have a few sets now as my kids like to change out the colors on various days of the trips (and my niece changes hourly LOL).

If you really don't want another set don't customize them, you will likely be offered a set of grey bands when you check in but you can decline if you wish.

How do i know if they are linked? I did go on my disney account and it is showing that we have already customize magic bands from a previous trip, so is there anything i need to do to get them linked?

How do i know if they are linked? I did go on my disney account and it is showing that we have already customize magic bands from a previous trip, so is there anything i need to do to get them linked?

You should be able to see them in your MDE account. All of our old bands are still there and I believe you have to actually unlink them. So unless you've done this I'd imagine they're still linked to your account.

Just bring your old ones with you, and when you check in just show them your bands. They will make them work for your trip (providing the batteries still work, which they should for those). We've done it many times. Not an issue at all.

Just click on the magic bands and cards link in DME and you will see each person's name and band color. This way if you do decide to get new bands you can choose new colors. The only thing you would need to "link" in the future is park tickets if they are purchased separately instead of part of a package.

Sorry to jump in this thread but if your old MB will work and your new ones too, like other poster said to coordinate outfits etc, I'm thinking that when we go my MIL who is in a different room only meets us at breakfast in the park and then heads back to the hotel, could we use her MB/fast passes on her second MB while she's in the hotel?

Sorry to jump in this thread but if your old MB will work and your new ones too, like other poster said to coordinate outfits etc, I'm thinking that when we go my MIL who is in a different room only meets us at breakfast in the park and then heads back to the hotel, could we use her MB/fast passes on her second MB while she's in the hotel?

Theoretically yes, and morally it is up to you. She won't be able to get back into the park without it though, nor get into the hotel room.

Thanks. She would have the other band to get into to the room? I don't think she would understand that they both worK and only bring one on the trip.

Theoretically yes, and morally it is up to you. She won't be able to get back into the park without it though, nor get into the hotel room.

I dont think there is a moral issue. Each guest is entitled to 3 FP's, Just like the legacy FP if are entire party got FP's and two decided not to use, other might or might decide to use them.
The moral issue is when you have a MB not linked to current trip and try to get add'l 3 FP's for yourself. I have no idea if that is possible but know I read earlier threads about that.

Could ask for a room key as well.

Thanks. She would have the other band to get into to the room? I don't think she would understand that they both worK and only bring one on the trip.

Yes, her other band would be able to unlock the door to the room. And she could then re-enter the park with it.

As long as they are still linked in your MDE they will work. Just decline new bands instead of customize them.

How do I decline new bands?

We are about to visit WDW for the 5th time since last fall. We really don't need more than one set of Magic Bands!

Do not customize them and they won't ship.
Last time we didn't customize them and they handed us a box of grey ones when we checked in. They seemed confused that we didn't want or need them, lol.

Our old ones worked fine (we have multiples now) but I did worry slightly about "abandoning" the box we didn't use, since they would also have charging privileges and room entry(?) I really do wish they gave you a way to decline them ahead of time. This trip we just customized new ones anyway, but it just feels so wasteful. We were just there in March, and October before that, and July before that, etc etc. I think this is our fifth or sixth set--we've had them since at least Sept 2013, and maybe even the trip before that (can't recall).

Last time we didn't customize them and they handed us a box of grey ones when we checked in. They seemed confused that we didn't want or need them, lol.

Our old ones worked fine (we have multiples now) but I did worry slightly about "abandoning" the box we didn't use, since they would also have charging privileges and room entry. I really do wish they gave you a way to decline them ahead of time. This trip we just customized new ones anyway, but it just feels so wasteful. We were just there in March, and October before that, and July before that, etc etc. I think this is our fifth set--we've had them since at least Sept 2013, and maybe even the trip before that (can't recall).

Oh yeah that's right. I forget to mention that the night before we left I deactivated the uncustomized Magic Bands in MDE and they did not have any waiting for us upon check in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter