using DME when switching resorts

rvc

Disney is my happy place..
I have a few questions. Do you get one baggage ticket for your arrival and your departure? It is my understanding that the tickets state the resort you are going to but what if you’re switching during your stay?

Also, I am flying out from Atlantic City using Spirit. Is this an airline that participates? When does it matter if your airline participates arriving, departing or both?

What do the tags look like? I have a friend that received what they thought were the tags but it turns out they were the complementary tags with the castle. If you have never been to Disney you would never know. They were under the assumption that everything was in order. If you do not get a "receipt" after you give your baggage to the departing airline you would think the next step would get on the bus when you arrive. Meanwhile your baggage will be on the turnstile.

The luggage tags are for the arriving flight/arrival resort only. If you are on a partner airline you check in at your final resort where they provide the airline tag. I would guess that on a split stay it works as always with either bell services moving your luggage to the second resort or you taking the luggage there.

I will be arriving at BCV and leaving from POR. My special tags will say BCV on them. DME knows that I am switching resorts mid-stream. When I check-out of POR I should be given a voucher for my return trip to MCO (ORD). To the best of my knowledge, from what I have seen here, the tags are yellow and very similar to the routing tags that the airlines put on your checked baggage.

As far as 'participating' airlines go, this is where it makes a difference. Anyone, on any flight into MCO (ORD) can use DME. Same thing going back to the airport. But, if you are using a participating airline, such as Delta/Song as I am, you will be able to print out your boarding pass for your return flight right at the resort front desk when you check out. Your luggage will then go to the airport on a different vehicle than you are on. You return to the resort when it's time for your shuttle bus and when you get to the airport,you can go directly to security since you have already checked in!!!
If you are not on a participating airline, you still use DME for your return to the airport...you just have to take your luggage with you on the bus...just like the old Mears. Then you have to check-in at the airport and get rid of your luggage and then go to security. That's where the difference is.

A lot of people out there seem to think that only certain (participating airlines) are the only ones that can use DME...not correct. They are the only ones who can get their boarding pass at the resort and not have to lug their bags around the airport. Hope this helps a little.

BTW....when you change resorts, it's really quite easy. Just let bell services know that morning, early, or the night before, and they will get your stuff to the next resort. You may have to wait until late afternoon to get your stuff but it works quite well. I've done it several times so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter