Using a Magic Band if nothing is actually purchased from Disney?

EdgeOfGlory

Food & Wine Festival Addict
Hello,

I travel a lot for work and ended up getting five free nights at a Holiday Inn about a mile outside of the WDW entrances. So this obviously means we won't be staying in one of the resorts but would love to utilize the Magic Bands for everything else.

I'm also thinking of bypassing the tickets to the park though Disney and going through a site like Undercover Tourist to purchase them.

So, what is the process like for the Magic Band if you never actually purchased anything through Disney themselves? Is it difficult to get your tickets added on to your Magic Band this way? Do I need to go to the park to do so or is it possible to do it through the "My Experience" app? My understanding is I can at least buy them in advance from the Disney site for $12.95 each but want to make sure it won't be "useless" if I do decide to go this route.

I'm a fairly seasoned Disney traveler but haven't been back since the Magic Bands came into existence so I'm a little confused on how tying it all in works, given how I want to purchase anything. I figured this question was asked in some way prior to mine but I feel my question was unique enough to warrant a new thread. Thank you for any help you can give. :thanks:

You just need a my disney experience account, from there you can add on any bands, tickets, reservations, photopass/memory maker you purchased separately to the account and they will work together. you can then tie in fast passes, etc to the band also.

You just need a my disney experience account, from there you can add on any bands, tickets, reservations, photopass/memory maker you purchased separately to the account and they will work together. you can then tie in fast passes, etc to the band also.
Awesome, thank you!

I figured I was likely overthinking this but at the same time, thought maybe Disney would "punish" those that used the discounted ticket sites to purchase rather than directly through them.

Is the best bet on the Magic Band bracelets to just get them through the online Disney Store or can you buy someone's used on like eBay and repurpose it as yours to save a few bucks? I likely wouldn't do that but I am curious how that all works.

Is the best bet on the Magic Band bracelets to just get them through the online Disney Store or can you buy someone's used on like eBay and repurpose it as yours to save a few bucks? I likely wouldn't do that but I am curious how that all works.

You can NOT reuse someone else's magic band. It is tied to their MDE account, even if it is deactivated. It even states this in the auction.

Honestly, you don't need a magic band. The tickets have the RFID chip in them.
If you set up a MDE account, buy a ticket, link it to your account, then you can make your fastpass reservations and all.
I see lots of folks just using their tickets at the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter