USF Mummy Rumor. OH MY!

Originally posted by thedscoop

Frankly, this is as silly as if I were to complain that Universal is just basing their new attractions on existing TV shows or movies rather than creating new storylines. While that is true to a great extent (dueling dragons being the most obvious exception), that doesn't mean that the attractions are lesser because of it.

That would shoot their little advertising motto out the door uh? Universal Stuidos where you can ride the movies.

Oh, I certainly agree. The only reason I mentioned it is the complaint I've heard (but not necessarily agree with) that Universal is too top heavy on "licensed" attractions. Like I said, that is not a per se bad thing if the attractions are done well which, in the case of many of them, is true.
It's no more licensed than MGM.

No personal attack intended. Your statement was just incorrect.
I disagree Scoop. This is the second time you've tried to belittle my opinion due to my consumer stance that I will not spend another dime in WDW until I see some type of major change in philosophy from budget cut o Rama.

This made it personal

by a person so personally frustrated with Disney that the person gets the facts wrong

As for your attraction list, I submit that yes, those have no visible sponsor.

Originally posted by HB2K
As for your attraction list, I submit that yes, those have no visible sponsor.

Just a passing comment from someone with no axe to grind, but wasn't that the whole point of what thedscoop was saying. Criticisng Disney by saying they only build attractions (even only e-tickets) with someone else's money is factually incorrect, and therefore not a valid criticism.

Regards

Rob

I submitted to Scoop since I didn't have much time to properly respond.

Tower of Terror.

While it's at the back end of that time frame, I'll grant you that Disney built it without a sponsor (although I seem to remember reading that it was an olive branch of sorts to the then proposed CBS / Disney merger).

Kilamanjaro

My timeframe was meant to spell out park expansions, not things out of the gate (although I wasn't clear on that either). It would have been difficult for Disney to build a park themed around Animals and not have an animal attraction....but once again I'll conceed that it's got no sponsor. Also of note, this is probably the first of the recent attractions(in my eyes) which draws criticism of what should have been...not a lot of criticism, but a little started creeping in.

RnR

Once again, no sponsor but it's of note that there is more and more criticism of these additions (personaly I love RnR, but I can understand what the critics are saying).

TOT is a great attraction, but as far as attractions goes its years old and disney hasnt built anything up to that stanard since that would be considered great without a sponsor. Andf while RNRC is a decent coaster its is by no means GREAT and not up to the standards of coasters already built in the state of FLA.

The "Mummy" sure seems to have many of the same elements that we were hearing about with the long shelved BK dragon coaster project. Wasn't that also rumored to be a LIM powered, multiple stop, immersive effects, close encounter with large animatronics experience?

The hype sounds great, the only curious thing is the $40MM price tag (assuming $80MM is for two installations). I think MIB was well over $50MM and Spidey well over $100MM. Sounds like a pretty good investment is it really delivers.

Universal probably started out hoping they could be enough of a technological peer that the competition could be waged on who had the most interesting story to tell. Disney has given them an opening on the technology front and they seem willing to try to exploit it. From a technical complexity standpoint they win out in a number of different ride categories (BTTF, MIB, Terminator, Spider-Man), will the Mummy be next?

Now, more technologically complex is a negative (cost) unless the experience is better, but it can be a major WOW component. The omni-mover was a huge technology platform for Disney in the past. Interestingly, if there is one technology area Disney seems to own hands-down it is in creating weightlessness (TOT, M:S, Soaring?). Who would have thunk it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter