Use year for August trips

TwistGrl101

DIS Veteran
Really looking into buying resale...we always travel last week of August...what use year should we try to have??

Really looking into buying resale...we always travel last week of August...what use year should we try to have??
August is by far the best for your stated situation. It's also a fairly common one so that should help.

you never want to travel at the end of your UY. so for an aug UY, it's riskier if you travel in may/june/july and have to cancel. the biggest reason is that you will be past your banking window for current UY pts (which closes on march 31 for an aug UY).

ideally, it is better to travel early in your UY. so for an aug UY, travel in aug, sept, oct to give you the most options if you need to cancel.

if you never have to cancel, UY month will be a non-issue.

you might want to bookmark this thread for future reference:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1942668

Okay so to travel the end of August, the closer I can get BEFORE August (or August itself) is ideal?
I would not want a Sept, Oct, Nov UY if I want to travel in August.

Right?

Okay so to travel the end of August, the closer I can get BEFORE August (or August itself) is ideal?
I would not want a Sept, Oct, Nov UY if I want to travel in August.

Right?

yep. so a june UY would also work fine.

also, just keep in mind that UY month has nothing at all to do with when you can call to book. UY is about when you "use" the pts for a stay, but the booking window is all based on your home resort.

(BTW, there's no such thing as a July or Nov UY.)

the only other consideration, as dean alluded to, is that some UYs are more common than others, which can be an issue if you decide later to add-on (which requires that the UYs match).

We have an August UY and tend to travel in August (I'm a teacher).

Some other benefits of this UY are that points need to be banked by the end of March ... so Christmas/New Years and March Break trips are possible but if they need to be cancelled before 30 days out, points can still be banked. (And if cancelled within 30 days and points go into holding and are no longer bankable, there is the option of a trip in late June or July so the points don't go to waste.)

June UY was not appealing as points would need to be banked by the end of February ... which didn't leave me with many options of "recovering" from a possibly cancelled March Break trip. (Since buying in to DVC, we discovered we quite like trips in the fall and over Christmas and plan to do more as the school calendar allows.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter