Use old iPhone as iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by puffkin, Jul 22, 2011.

1. puffkin

puffkin DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

I have an iPhone 3GS and am coming up on my 2 year renewal with AT&T. My DS5 plays games and netflix movies on my iPhone all the time and is constantly drainging my battery. We do have Wifi at home.

My DH and I were just discussing the other night that maybe for Christmas we could get him a second hand Touch. But then I started thinking that I might want to upgrade my iPhone, especially if the iPhone 5 comes out in October (as rumored). Would I be able to just use my old iPhone with out the 3G/phone capabilities for DS? I am thinking this would be a big savings for us instead of buying him a Touch.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Al and Kate's Mom

Al and Kate's Mom DIS Veteran<br><font color=magenta>Thanks for shar

We did that when we upgraded to iPhone 4 - just gave the girls our old iPhone3s to use as Touches - works great. I do suggest investing in a case if you don't already have one...wish we had! :rolleyes1

4. jestagrl79

jestagrl79 Earning My Ears

You'll need to leave the SIM in for it to function at all - at least it's that way for the iPhone4. I'm not sure if that's going to cause other complications.

5. timmac

timmac DIS Veteran

Yes, you can do that. Once the phone is deactivated, just the "phone" functions of it won't work, but everything else will... works just fine :)

DGF gave her sister an old 3GS as a Christmas gift last year.

6. monkey30

monkey30 Dreaming of my next vacation!

We have done that as well our kids have ours, took the phone function off.

7. cinmell

cinmell <marquee><font color=blue>The first person to repl

We did this in our house. My daughter got my old iphone 3gs when I upgraded. Everything works except the phone function.

8. crazelion

crazelion <font color=blue>Form feet and legs...form arms an

Got my attention. Does it need a sim card to work as ipod touch. This my good way to buy old iphone off ebay just as ipod touch.

9. puffkin

puffkin DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

Thanks guys! I think this could make Xmas super easy this year! Now just to convince DH that I need to upgrade my phone :lmao: