USB Medical ID Wristband

tmt martins

DIS Veteran<br><font color=orange>Uses <strike>her
I just thought this was something that could be used as kids do travel over the summer .

DD is very healthy thank GOD but some of her friends that travel with us have some concerns .One a very bad Nut allergy and I'm sending this to her Mother as an Idea.

I think this could also be used for adults with records that need to be readily availible.

Just thought I would share.

USB Wristband

This is an interesting idea and might work for some people but I would not be comfortable letting my son use it. My son is allergic to latex. If anything happens to him that paramedics would need to be called, what would be the first thing the paramedics would do when they arrive – put ON the latex gloves. This would take place before they had a chance to get to a computer to download the information saved on the wristband. The same with any anaphylactic reaction to anything – that EPI Pen needs to be administered right away and not everyone would have access to read the information saved on this. My son will continue to wear a regular medical ID bracelet with his allergy and necessary treatment. I’ve noticed in the year that he’s been wearing it (he just turned 5) that all medical professionals seem to check for that as soon as they approach him.

I agree -- I'd be much more comfortable with a regular medicalert bracelet. On it you can write the 2 or 3 things the emergency responder needs to know right away (e.g. "NUT ALLERGY", "LATEX ALLERGY", TYPE 1 Diabetes") and then have a number to call. If you call that number they can provide you with lots of info -- child's name, parent's name, lots of contact info etc . . .

In addition, paramedics, ER physicians etc . . . are trained to look for a medic alert bracelet -- while they could easily overlook this as it's a different color and material.

The only exception to this would be if my child had something really complex that required a lot of "instruction". For example, I have a child in my school who is a bone marrow transplant kid, she had leukemia as a newborn. Our instructions are that if she's ever injured she needs to go to specific ER where they have information about he ONLY protocol for general anaesthesia that's safe for her. In that case, having a Dr. be able to download the whole protocol might make sense. However, I'd still put a regular medic alert bracelet on her too, instructing them to look for this one before administering general anaesthesia.

Mickey'snewestfan said:
However, I'd still put a regular medic alert bracelet on her too, instructing them to look for this one before administering general anaesthesia.
I agree that it would be more of an addition to a regular medica alert rather than a replacement for one.
I'd be concerned that it might come off of the child or be damaged in an accident -some things that won't happen to a regular medical alert bracelet.

Yes I was just thinking as a suppliment to the Med braclets .It has release forms,and other medical things needed if kids are traveling with others .My understanding is you can load insurance info and stuff like that as well.

I take a good bit of time off in the summer and take DD's friends up to five at a time all over the state to fairs ,Sixflags even up into PA. The ones with concerns I just thought it would be another tool if something happened.While waiting for the parents to show-up .The release form is something I carry now but I think this might be a nice addition

A lot of that info can also be loaded onto regular medic alert bracelets. A medic alert bracelet comes with an ID number and a phone number to call. If a medical professional calls that number they have access (either over the phone, or via fax) to a larger amount of info.

For my DS (who had the medic alert bracelet because he had a feeding problem that made it unsafe to feed him by mouth, and because he was on a medication that could cause life threatening interactions with certain other meds including antibiotics) I know we had insurance info, a lot of medical info, grandma's phone number, several neighborh's phone numbers, his godmother's phone info in another state etc . . . on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter