Upside/Downside to purchasing Sept UY?

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by goodtmz37, Feb 21, 2013.

1. goodtmz37

goodtmz37 Earning My Ears

Any thoughts?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. TSMMANIAC

TSMMANIAC Mouseketeer

Ideally UY is one that begins near the time you normally vacation. As vacation habits change over the course of years a perfect use year is impossible. Use year only comes into play if you cancel a vacation. We have owned for over 20years have taken over 30 vacations and have never canceled last minute. So a September use yr is no better or worse than any other just depends on your vacation habits and if it works for you.

4. a742246

a742246 And, and, and I caught a fish this big!

When would you do your travelling to WDW?

5. CarolMN

CarolMN DVC Co-Moderator Moderator

6. Minnies Dad

Minnies Dad Earning My Ears

I've given up on UY as a figure of merit, other than if you already own and are purchasing an additional contract - whereby it might make things slighly simpler for you.

7. Kidanifan08

Kidanifan08 DIS Veteran

Upside: Your a DVC Member!:banana: And, you only go to F&W every year!:thumbsup2

Downside: You only travel in June, July and Aug and you frequently have to cancel at about a 1-2 months before travel. Sept and Apr also constitute less than 10% of DVC UY points, so add-ons may be more difficult to come by.

8. Disneydad2311

Disneydad2311 Earning My Ears

Minnies Dad is correct in that purchasing additional contracts with the same UY simplifies things for you. All contracts (with the same UY) will fall under one member number, as opposed to having many. That's the only benefit we were told about.:firefight

9. chalee94

chalee94 <font color=green>I thought all sand was ground up

start by supposing that you have a sept UY and think about what happens if you have to cancel (40 days out or 5 days out) a reservation that is in august vs a reservation that is in september...

those 4 scenarios explain why it's better to travel early in your UY if there is a risk of cancellation.