upload photos to Kindle Fire HD?

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by My2Girls66, Nov 9, 2012.

1. My2Girls66

My2Girls66 DIS Veteran

Does anyone have a Kindle Fire HD? If so, do you know if you can upload photos from your camera to it? Will it read an external hard drive? It says it has a USB port. I am interested in getting one for travel, I know they don't have a ton of storage but I am more looking to use it to upload to Smugmug and/or my small external hard drive from it.

2. photo_chick

photo_chick Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about

I have the original Kindle Fire, not the HD. The usb port on the Kindle Fire is to hook it up to a computer or the charger. It doesn't have the software natively to read a hard drive (though I'm sure there are hacks out there to do it). To get images on there you have to either drag and drop the files to it from a computer or download them from the web , pretty much how you would with most Android devices. And not all sites work as they do on the computer in the Fire's browser. Smugmug is one of those.

The Fire is good at what it's supposed to do... be an e-reader, play games, keep a calendar, check your email, stream video from Amazon Prime... But it's not the best Android tablet out there.

3. My2Girls66

My2Girls66 DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info:)