Upgrading from Mod to Deluxe, worth it?

Mouseketeer
Well, I am booked at POFQ with free dining this September. I keep mulling over whether I should switch to the WL for an additional $800 for 5 nights. It's not that the extra $ would break the bank, but it's always nice to not spend it if you don't have to, right? Wondering if anyone has upgraded and looking back was happy they did, or thought they should have just stayed put and saved the dough. I hope this makes sense. Second guessing is driving me crazy. Have not stayed at either resort before, so am clueless a bit. It will be me, DH and two kids, 6 and 9. Thanks so much for any help!

Well, I am booked at POFQ with free dining this September. I keep mulling over whether I should switch to the WL for an additional $800 for 5 nights. It's not that the extra $ would break the bank, but it's always nice to not spend it if you don't have to, right? Wondering if anyone has upgraded and looking back was happy they did, or thought they should have just stayed put and saved the dough. I hope this makes sense. Second guessing is driving me crazy. Have not stayed at either resort before, so am clueless a bit. It will be me, DH and two kids, 6 and 9. Thanks so much for any help!

Worth is very subjective as it's different for everybody, but for us, it would definitely be worth it to upgrade. We have stayed at one mod (CBR) and while we loved the resort and had a great stay, once we tried a deluxe we haven't stayed anything else since. Only you can decide if a deluxe is worth the extra cost, but I would do it without hesitation. Good luck.

Both are great resorts, but I would say that WL is worth the extra $$$$. It is amazing and is excellent value for a deluxe resort.

To me, the deluxe is worth every penny. First, I like my door opening into a hallway, not the open air. Second, most of the deluxes are located very close to one or more of the parks. What does that mean for me? LESS BUSES TO RIDE!

Worth is very subjective as it's different for everybody, but for us, it would definitely be worth it to upgrade. We have stayed at one mod (CBR) and while we loved the resort and had a great stay, once we tried a deluxe we haven't stayed anything else since. Only you can decide if a deluxe is worth the extra cost, but I would do it without hesitation. Good luck.

I agree here 100%. I initially booked this year's trip at a moderate but from the moment I did, I second-guessed myself so many times that I eventually switched back to a deluxe. We too feel the extra $$ to upgrade to deluxe is well worth it for many reasons and like Mickeynut, we are now finding it difficult to stay at anything but. Good luck with your decision.

The boat ride to MK and CR are sweet. The resort is gorgeous. Rooms are bigger, beds are bigger than some mods (CBR)?, good dining,

I say go for it

How much time do you plan on spending at the resort and why are you considering an upgrade? We upgraded on my family's first stay from POP to CSR and while I didn't regret it, I found that we didn't utilize as many of the amenities as we thought we would. For example, we only visited the pool once. My kids just wanted to spend all of their times in the parks. The one thing we did enjoy was the queen size beds over the doubles. We liked the theming fine but we just weren't there too much.

For our upcoming trip, we are splurging and have upgraded from POR to CR-GW just because it is the least expensive resort on the monorail. Our primary reasons for this are convenience to MK and having a third daybed for DS12. We visit MK most often so being able to walk there will be nice. The theming of CR doesn't appeal to me too much but my kids recall seeing it off in the distance from the bus stops at MK and thought how cool it would be to walk back. I personally wouldn't consider upgrading to deluxe unless it offers added convenience to a park (which WL does have boat transportation to MK).

The boat ride to MK and CR are sweet. The resort is gorgeous. Rooms are bigger, beds are bigger than some mods (CBR)?, good dining,

I say go for it

The rooms are bigger but all of the rooms at POFQ have queen size beds. CBR is now the only mod that still has doubles.

We finally made the jump to deluxe in 2010 and haven't look back since :cool1: We had a quick family gathering this past June and stayed at CSR and I really missed staying in a smaller resort that the deluxe offers.

WL is a beautiful resort, I don't think you will regret it.

One of our split stays was POFQ/WL. The kids and I (6 and 12 at the time) went down a few days ahead of DH for the POFQ part of the trip. It was OK, in part because we were lucky with the weather so it didn't matter that we had to walk outside to get to the food court. Then DH joined us for the WL part of the trip. The day after he arrived, so did Hurricane Fay. I was grateful to be in a self-contained resort, where we could walk to food without having to brave the weather.

I like having a balcony for morning coffee, and I get that in the deluxes in which we've stayed. It also makes the room feel bigger to have that extension of it. I also prefer interior corridors.

If the money isn't an issue, I'd make the jump.

We are in the exact same situation - our trip is in October and we're booked at POFQ. We're just waiting for the fall specials to be released. I don't want to spend any extra money unless we have to but it would be nice to just be a boat ride away from MK.
We have stayed at POFQ before and loved it - found the buses to be very efficient and we enjoyed our stay. I've always wanted to try WL though so we'll see how the specials play out. :) Good luck with your decision!

To me its worth it if its not going to break the bank, the amenities, the locations the beauty of the deluxe resorts are amazing. Plus if your the type of family that likes to spend more resort time swimming or relaxing, renting bikes or boats deluxes are the way to go.

If you think youll be at the parks 70% or more then I would stick to your mod..

Those are our two faves. here's my take

If you want quiet- POFQ would be the best choice
If you are going to be at parks all day- POFQ
Also if you plan on spending alot of time at Disney village- POFQ

Otherwise, WL is your best bet.

We have split stayed here and it was the best of both worlds. Give me the cobblestone streets and boat to downtown's eateries for a few days, then give me the boat to MK and a signature, table service and counter service all under one roof for the remainder of my trip!

What is worth it for one person or family may not be worth it in the eyes of another; it's all relative. For $800 I would definitely upgrade to WL so long as WL falls under the free dining promotion.

The amenities offered at deluxe resorts as well as the bigger room size is, for me, "worth it". Not to mention that WL is a MK resort and while not on the monorail line, it is just a short boat ride away!

We've gone the other way from these posts...we were deluxe snobs... Even at the WL, over 10+ stays, over all deluxes 35 stays and the last 2 trips have been POFQ and up coming trip again POFQ....

We do enjoy the WL, cost has become an issue... less discounts for deluxe and higher room rack rates has out phased our need for deluxe ... It's like been there done that scenario ...

POFQ is compact, easy to get around without the need for interior halls... Must say the food court offerings are much better than most deluxe resorts, deluxe TS restaurants in my opinion are awful and we hardly used them when staying deluxe...

So bottom line, when push came to shove, POFQ getting queen beds ... Really saw no difference in room size over WL... money talked.... We now stay POFQ, no need to look further, don't like the size of POR, but like to stroll over and visit their pool and food court!!

We've gone the other way from these posts...we were deluxe snobs... Even at the WL, over 10+ stays, over all deluxes 35 stays and the last 2 trips have been POFQ and up coming trip again POFQ....

We do enjoy the WL, cost has become an issue... less discounts for deluxe and higher room rack rates has out phased our need for deluxe ... It's like been there done that scenario ...

POFQ is compact, easy to get around without the need for interior halls... Must say the food court offerings are much better than most deluxe resorts, deluxe TS restaurants in my opinion are awful and we hardly used them when staying deluxe...

So bottom line, when push came to shove, POFQ getting queen beds ... Really saw no difference in room size over WL... money talked.... We now stay POFQ, no need to look further, don't like the size of POR, but like to stroll over and visit their pool and food court!!

Nice point of view. Been there too. That $800 can buy my one college twin a whole new set of catchers gear :crazy2:

Going to jump on the bandwagon and say that it is absolutely worth it for all the reasons mentioned. Transportation's easier, the beds are comfier, the whole experience is just amplified. It was really brought home just how worth it the deluxe is when we did a split stay between POFQ and AKL. The second half of our trip was far and away more relaxing and more magical than the first half.

I've stayed at both both resorts, and while I'd rather stay at POFQ than not go at all, I'd sure as heck do everything in my power to be able to afford the deluxe.

Funny, because I moved from the POLY to PORS last december. My poly room was filthy. The common areas were filthy. PORS was just redone, so it was actually nicer in the room. The Poly is getting rehabed now, and I think everyone there had just given up because of that fact.

That being said, I have only heard great things about WL, and on my next trip I am doing a scouting mission there for a potential DVC purchase.

I think they are worth the $ if you can afford it. To me the accommodations are part of the vacation. If you are more "a room is just a place to crash" type, then probably no.

Well we've stayed at both and we absolutely loved, loved, loved the WL. POFQ not so much. For our family, transportation and the extra space in the deluxes are key. If you don't mind the buses then POFQ is fine, but it definitely can not beat the feeling you get when you walk into the WL lobby. Can't wait to be able to stay there again, unfortunately with 5 in our family it is out of the running.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!