Upgrading at port

trampslady

<font color=green>I stop and watch the Norway vide
From what I can gather, upgrading at the port all depends on availability. That stands to reason. My question is how much can I expect to pay for the upgrade from a CAT 9 to a CAT 6 or so. The price I was quoted by my travel agent right now is $900 for the two of us (total). I'm just not convinced that I need a verandah that bad. It's only a guarantee too, which means we won't know what cabin we are in until we get there. With the CAT 9 we have now, we are confirmed in stateroom 2600 on Deck Two.

We upgraded at the port. For our 3 night cruise, it cost us just under $500 to change from a cat. 11 to a cat. 5 for the four of us. The verandah is definately a great addition to a room! Just make sure you get to the port early (by 11:00) if your cruise is fairly full.
Ann

We upgraded at port for a family of 4- for a 4 night cruise. We originally were in a low level cat in outside cabin. We upgraded to a verandah that was located 3-4 levels above the original ressies. We only paid $200 total at the dock to upgrade. We found it was well worth it. It does all depend on the capacity and availability. Good- Luck!

It's only a guarantee too, which means we won't know what cabin we are in until we get there.

Once a category is sold out with all the rooms assigned, DCL then sells what is called a "guarantee category". That is based on the assumption that someone will cancel and open up a room for you to occupy. With the category 6's all sold prior to your cruise I would say there is not much chance of that particular category being available to upgrade to at the Port.

You may want to consider which category will truly be the right one for you. If you are desiring a verandah then it may be worth it to go ahead and book that prior to sailing. Good luck with your decision!

I am confused about upgrades. It seems that some people get upgraded at no charge and others pay for an upgrade at the port. can someone please shed some light on this. Of course, it would be great to be upgraded no charge. What are the chances. We are a family of 5 in 2 cat. 11 cabins on the Wonder in mid Sept. Thanks!

If someone happens to get a free upgrade (which doesn't happen often), it is by pure luck! Disney may call them or their TA prior to their cruise and upgrade them, probably to empty up some of the less expensive rooms for people to buy. If you want to wait until the day of your cruise, you can inquire at the port if there are any rooms available in a category that you are interested in. Usually it is cheaper than trying to upgrade just prior to your cruise. In my case, it would have cost me about 2000 to upgrade the week before my cruise but it only cost me about 500 at the port. But of course you are taking a chance that a better room is even available.
Hope this helps!

We just returned Thursday 1/30 from a 4 day Wonder cruise (it was NOT sold out). Two days before leaving for the trip our TA called and informed us that DCL has upgraded our Cat. 6 room (w/verandah on Deck 6) to a Cat. 4 room (w/verandah on Deck 8). We were thrilled and grateful for the extra space).

While we were checking in to the ship at the terminal I listened in to other passengers asking about free upgrades. The check in agents ALL said DCL doesn't give free upgrades (obviously they don't at checkin). However, they did say they could offer upgrades for a nominal fee. Here are some of the deals I heard or spoke with others about.

FROM CATEGORY TO CATEGORY UPGRADE $
Cat. 11 Cat 9 $200
Cat. 9 Cat 5 $400
Cat 11 Cat 6 $500

Obviously DCL will move high level category passengers to even higher levels if they can free up a cheaper room that they can sell at last minute (which is what I believe they did). Plus, our ship was not sold out so they had the flexibility to move some people.

I think if you are splitting the room with someone the extra money for a verandah is worth it (or if you have a full room of 4 people) especially if you are going for 7 days. Just my thoughts and observations.

Seems like a hundred dollars a category, in the brochure its a hundred dollars a category per adult. So it seems half price at the port, at least when you went.

DCL you can upgrade me from my cat. 5
Please feel free to.

Joanna

We got a free upgrade from cat11 to a 9 and I paid an extra $298 for a cat6 at port for the 1/26 cruise. I thought that was a good deal.

From the sounds of it this is probably very unlikely but.........

has anyone with adjoining rooms ever been upgraded at no cost by DCL? I'm guessing no and will be pleased with our rooms (category 10) in any case but just thought I'd ask the question. ;)

penny

We went from a category 9 to a category 4 on the 7 day western for $365.00, I think the magic number changes every cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter