Upgrade twice for annual pass

stubby

Mouseketeer
So we are wanting to get passes. However we would like to get the park tickets first to get the magic morning and then upgrade while there to a pass. We have five so that can be expensive. Thinking we would go with the pass that has all days but the couple weeks at Christmas included. Now with that being said, we may want to go during Christmas after all so I am wondering if we upgrade once can we do it again if we decide to go for Christmas? Or do they only let you do once and done and you are locked into that pass?

You can always upgrade to a higher tier pass, but note that it won't be prorated and you'll pay the full upgrade cost between the two tiers at the time of upgrade.

Depending on how many days you go during Christmas, it may be cheaper to buy tickets than upgrade.

Yes, you can upgrade several times. I just upgraded my daughter's AP for the second time. She had southern California select, then Deluxe and now Signature. It works out better for my budgeting purposes to upgrade when we are blocked. However, the lines are really long during the day to do that. So, be prepared to wait in line a long time unless you hit the booth right after the park closes.

I really encourage you to do the math on whether it is worth it to have more than the delux pass for everyone based on the days you expect to go. For us, it was cheaper to just buy tickets on the blacked out days (and we managed to work around them instead of shelling out the money when it came down to it).

I really encourage you to do the math on whether it is worth it to have more than the delux pass for everyone based on the days you expect to go. For us, it was cheaper to just buy tickets on the blacked out days (and we managed to work around them instead of shelling out the money when it came down to it).
How much are blackout tickets now? I think they used to be $50.

How much are blackout tickets now? I think they used to be $50.

I thought they didn't do blackout tickets anymore and you had to buy regular tickets. Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought they didn't do blackout tickets anymore and you had to buy regular tickets. Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

You're correct, there are no blackout tickets anymore. You just have to buy a regular one day ticket.

However, since the poster is looking at going during the two weeks at Christmas, it could be cheaper to just upgrade.

The OP, your plan sounds like a way to buy it on the layaway type plan. That was how I used to upgrade our passes. This works out great EXCEPT with renewals, as you will lose the renewal savings when you upgrade.

I would buy the highest pass you need for now, then upgrade as you need.I like the Signature passes as they have photopass and parking "built in".

Can't comment on upgrading twice and what is the better deal, but when we upgraded our PHs to APs I did mine on the first day to take advantage of the dining/merchandise discounts. When I did the upgrade the CM asked if we planned to do a MM. He gave me a paper MM pass, he even asked if we needed more than one, but DD and DH had 5 day PH so we just needed the one. We upgraded DD and DH on our last night (super last minute, we were the last ones in line!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter