Upgrade to different resort at check in?

karliebug

DIS Veteran
We are getting to POP very early for check in on our December trip. I'm wondering if I ask at check in for availability at other resorts could I be upgraded at a discount price? It is during a busy holiday time so I'm thinking no, but it wouldn't hurt to ask,right?:confused3 It would certainly be a great Christmas present ! Has anyone ever done this?

You would have to call central reservations.

I am curious about this as well since we are going on Sept 22nd. We booked through Southwest would we still call central reservations?

Has anyone done this? What was your level of success?

1) You do not have to always call CRO.
2) The local Front Desk or Concierge desk can help you.
3) They can search for open rooms for your resort choice and dates.
4) Then, it can be determined right then if you can switch.
. . . the next resort can accept your transfer
. . . if you have a package, it is up the the new resort to honor it or not
. . . worst case is you pay rack rate for open rooms

NOTE: This happens more than you could guess. The process is straight forward. The only thing that upsets guests is when the next resort will not honor a room discount or package discount. However, if the next resort is close to full, why should they give away revenue. After all, each resort manager is responsible for profits at his/her resort.

I've known people that checked into a resort, weren't happy with it and went back to the front desk to upgrade to another. They had to pay rack rate for the upgrade ( in this case an AS resort to the Beach Club). It seems that it's less likely to get a discount once onsite vs. in advance with one of the codes or promos which are usually sold out by the time you check in. Has anyone ever gotten a discount to move/upgrade?---Kathy

It seems the OP was asking about getting a FREE upgrade to a different resort. Maybe I misunderstood, but I don't think that is gonna happen. At ANY time of the year!

Transferring to another resort....sure...if there is availability and you are willing to pay the difference in price....that can happen for sure.......but not for free I wouldn't think.

I wasn't expecting it for free, but maybe at a discount. As a side note, when I was at WDW during Hurricane Charlie they needed to evacuate the FW campground. As we were checking in at POR, many campers were checking in also but some of them were sent to GF! Now that was an upgrade! Of course that was an unusual circumstance but I couldn't help but feel a little envious that I was still at the moderate and the campers were going to GF.

We checked in at Pop last April (it was Easter week) we were just staying there for one day, and they upgraded us over to POR. That was sweet, :goodvibes but we didn't ask for it, and it was more due to POP being booked up tight. We've been upgraded in the same resort before, but again, we've never asked for any upgrades upon checking in.

Southwest is firm on changing anything about their "package" I booked with them for 4 nights then tried to change to 6 nights. SHOCK! No way. So I cancelled got a full refund,because I had purchesed the pre-waiver for 96.00,and booked it my self.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter