**UPDATED Jun 7** ~Chestnuts Roasting on an open fire~ A Christmas Dining Review

Kona Cafe

We have eaten at Kona numerous times over the years and while this meal was ok, we have decided to take Kona out of our rotation for a little while. The key issue was that all three of us ordered the NY Strip Medium Rare and all three steaks came out at varying degrees of doneness. That is a pretty poor shoeing when a restaurant can't cook three steaks medium rare!

But anyways, on with the review!

The bread is one of my favorite items at Kona! It is so soft and perfectly sweet with the macadamia nut honey butter. I need to remember to try and make this at home!

To start we shared two sushi rolls. The volcano roll & the cali luau roll

Sadly, even the sushi was not as good as it has been. The rice was overcooked and very mushy.

Then there are the above mentioned steaks.

In the end we all got something closer to medium than medium rare. Ah well, at least it still tasted good.

The inconsistency of Kona is what keeps us away.

50's Primetime Cafe

It had been a while since we went to Hollywood Studios as a family and whenever we go we have to eat at 50's Primetime Cafe!

DDad swears they had a tree like this! LOL

We were seated at a TV table :)

To start we shared the onion rings and the breaded boursin cheese

Delicious as always. I loved the cheese and I was surprised that I liked the berry coulis with it.

DMom had the Chicken Caesar Salad.

DDad had the Chicken Pot Pie.

I had the sampler of Fried Chicken, Meatloaf and Pot Roast.

As usual, everything was tasty and comforting. I was wearing a Star Wars t-shirt and our server loved that! He was the perfect combination of interactive and respectful.

California Grill

California Grill is one of our favorite signature restaurants and we knew that we needed to dine there before it underwent the extensive renovations. We still aren't sure how we feel about the restaurant redo.

The main reason we visit California Grill is for the sushi! We shared two Shrimp Tempura Rolls and a Spicy Kazan Roll.

We also decided to share the feature flatbread - a smoked salmon and caviar version. Quite good!

This was DMom's entree which I believe was Swordfish with seasonal vegetables

DDad had the Rock Shrimp Salad

And I had the Chili-rubbed Roasted Chicken with Corn Puree

All the entrees were delicious.

For dessert we were intrigued by a new addition - Popcorn Creme Brulee!

It definitely tasted like popcorn popcorn:: just not sure that is a good thing! LOL The popcorn brittle was amazing though!

Garden View Tea

It is a tradition for DMom & I to go to the Garden View Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian. It is so fun and relaxing :)

I believe I had the Mad Hatter tea and DMom had the Harmony.

We both customize the sandwiches. I am allergic to blue cheese and don't like egg. So I ask for two cucumber, two chicken and one smoked salmon. Typically I also ask for 2 onion tartlets instead of the pate. Must remember next time!

Love these scones and I was so happy about the option of lemon curd!

For the pastries we both opted for pumpkin cheesecake. DMom had the berry mouse swan and I had the chocolate mousse eclair.

We have already scheduled a return visit for Sept! princess:

Jiko (Again!)

In October we had a bad experience at Jiko. We had been in contact with Jiko's management about our trip in December and they were eager to know when we would be dining with them again. Our first meal at Jiko (On Dec 14th) was unplanned. This was the reservation they had a note about.

We started with an amuse bouche. It was a spring roll with flavours similar to the bobotie roll.

We also received a palette cleanser - strawberry sorbet.

We also had a few of the same appetizers as the evening before.

DMom had the guinea hen with a reduction sauce and fried sweet potato chips.

DDad had the filet with ancient grain pilaf.

I had the Short Rib with Tomato Reduction and Peanuts

By this point we were full and planning on splitting a single dessert. However, we were EACH presented with these!!

A trio of mini desserts! The chocolate & tea safari, the pineapple cheesecake and the peppermint crunch creme brulee. It was over the top and wonderful.

I also ordered a Zebratini, my favorite after dinner drink on WDW property.

We absolutely love Jiko and are excited to return in September. Management more than made up for the issues in October.

Monsieur Paul

This was one of the best meals I've ever had on WDW property.

The restaurant is beautiful but we were surprised to see a table with multiple small children misbehaving. These children were running around and playing underfoot of the serving staff. Thankfully we asked to be moved to another table out of earshot of the misbehaving children.

Shortly after we were seated the amuse bouche was presented.

Escargot en Brioche (same as the Food & Wine Festival)

View from our table

After the amuse we were given the bread course with salted butter

We all opted for the Prix Fixe.

The first course was escargot ravioli. I expected several small ravioli but it was one large ravioli with three or four escargot inside. The sauce was parsley and garlic based and the cream was infused with parmesan.

Next up we all chose the Truffle Soup - a signature item from Chef Bocuse

This soup was divine and they were very generous with the truffle.

DMom and I split the Bone In Ribeye

DDad had the Lobster A L'Americane (a second course option) as an entree

We were quite full at this point, but who can resist dessert?

DDad had the Grand Marnier Souffle

DMom had the Creme Caramel

And I had the Chocolate Almond Cake - a molten cake

These were outstanding and despite feeling full when they arrived we each finished almost every last bite.

Throughout the evening we had glasses of champagne, DDad had a scotch and a grand marnier and we also had a bottle of red wine.

A lovely meal that we hope to repeat on a trip in the future! Who knows, maybe for DMom & DDad's anniversary in Sept?

Well, that's all for this review! Despite the lengthy delay I hope you all enjoyed :thumbsup2

I have started my September 2013 Review if you are interested:

First we eat, then we do everything else! A September Dining Review

We will be dining at lots of great WDW locations and a few offsite as well.

Here is a list to get you interested:

• Wolfgang Puck Express
  • Via Napoli
  • Tutto Gusto
  • The New Main Street Bakery (hopefully!)
  • Liberty Tree Tavern
  • Monsieur Paul
  • Sunshine Seasons
  • Le Cellier
  • Raglan Road
  • Boma (Breakfast AND Dinner!)
  • Roy's (Offsite)
  • Trail's End at Fort Wilderness
  • San Angel Inn
  • La Cava del Tequila
  • Tokyo Dining
  • Jiko
  • ESPN Club
  • Garden View Tea
  • Romano's Macaroni Grill (Offsite)
  • Columbia Harbour House
  • Chefs de France
  • AND SNACKS FROM....
  • Kringla Bakery
  • L'Artisan des Glaces
  • Aloha Isle
  • Thw Writer's Stop
  • Boulangerie Patisserie
  • Gaston's Tavern
  • And many more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter