UPDATE p. 37. I finally canceled. Too much uncertainty for us.

Not at all. I'm just a little sick of people whining about a system they have not tried out yet. It's Disney World. If you're not having a great time, Disney World isn't the problem.

I can assure you that I can read both the positive and negative "reviews", other posters ideas and take what I know about our family trips and make an inform decision about if the new system is going to work for our family. Isn't that what message boards are all about. After all, that is what I used to know that it was not a good idea to take my nervous DN on the Snow White ride. I took what others said here and what I know about my DN and made an informed decision. Then my DM took her on that ride 2 years later and she still came off crying and upset. My DM didn't listen to what I had to say about the ride and did it anyway.

If my favorite restaurant took my favorite steak dinner off the menu and replaced it with a hot dog plate, I don't need to step in there and spend my money to know I will not be happy with that change. For a family that rode headliners several times with a short wait using FP-, there is no amount of trying it out that is going to make us happy with only 1 headliner FP+ per ride.

I am NOT saying we will never try it out but I'm 99.9% sure it will not ever be something we will love.

BTW, please don't tell me it is still in testing. Being able to only get 1 FP+ per ride is something that has not changed since the testing started months ago. If Disney decides to change things, then I can do the same as I have now, make an informed decision. But as of this moment, I can only go by what has been done up to this date.

...I think the way to balance FP+ and park hopping is to reserve your FP+ times for later in the afternoon. Get up at the crack of dawn and go to your first park at rope drop, while there will be FP-s available (we hope, we hope, oh please...) or the lines are manageable. Once the lines are too long or your FPs are over, go back to your resort for a break. Go to the SECOND park of the day in time to enjoy your FP+. That's the only way I see park hopping surviving the FP+ stuff.

This is exactly how I use FP+ and it is awesome! I have always been a rope drop/park hopping kind of guy. It is so nice to have those FP+ in my afternoon park. And I don't even use the FP- in the morning. Just get there early and use my touring plan.

So my DW is looking over my shoulder and asking me why I'm reading the DIS. And I tell her I'm trying to find out what's going on with the new RFID system and FP+. And she asks why, and I say "well, one of these days we're going to go back."

And she says, "what makes you think THAT???"

So my DW is looking over my shoulder and asking me why I'm reading the DIS. And I tell her I'm trying to find out what's going on with the new RFID system and FP+. And she asks why, and I say "well, one of these days we're going to go back."

And she says, "what makes you think THAT???"

:rotfl2: Sounds like my wife, too.

I think we would have cancelled as well if we could have gotten our money back (not just over FP+; they also cancelled the cruise portion of our trip when they took away my Wonder 1/24/14 DCL sailing and I STILL haven't found a suitable replacement yet). But we rented DVC points, so bring it WDW! I don't have to go back if I hate it! :thumbsup2

Can anyone tell me how far in advance you can book your FP+? We had pushed our vacay back to Feb ( we usually travel in the fall) hoping this would all be sorted out but it isn't... and since plane tickets are no refundable we are gonna try & make the best of it....I've customized my MBs
But can't book FP+ on MDE. Called WDW & CM was clueless and kept saying the test wasn't extended past jam yet - which I have seen in other boards is no longer true. ent from my iPhone using DisBoards

Not at all. I'm just a little sick of people whining about a system they have not tried out yet. It's Disney World. If you're not having a great time, Disney World isn't the problem.

Did you actually type that with a straight face? :rolleyes2 As if it is impossible to not have a great time at WDW? Again, let me break this shocking news to you..... LOTS of people would not go to WDW if you gave them a free trip. They have no interest and know it is not suited to them. Others, having tried it ONCE, will say, "Once was enough." WDW is not Nirvana or Utopia. It's a theme park. A really nice one, I'll grant you. But that's it.

Some people could go there and be miserable under the best of circumstances because it's just not the type of vacation for them. I cannot imagine my BIL or my DBrother EVER being willing to go. Then again, I'd be miserable if I went on one of their dream vacations. Different strokes, you know. You do know, don't you?

I love going to Europe, but others would hate such a trip. I know people who would say, "If you go hunting/fishing and don't love it, then something is wrong with you." (Basically what you said, just a different trip.) But I promise you, I'd hate that kind of trip.

Is it really that hard to imagine that WDW is not for everyone? Or that even former WDWers have become disillusioned due to the changes? Can you truly not grasp that?

Can anyone tell me how far in advance you can book your FP+? We had pushed our vacay back to Feb ( we usually travel in the fall) hoping this would all be sorted out but it isn't... and since plane tickets are no refundable we are gonna try & make the best of it....I've customized my MBs
But can't book FP+ on MDE. Called WDW & CM was clueless and kept saying the test wasn't extended past jam yet - which I have seen in other boards is no longer true. ent from my iPhone using DisBoards

I think it varies. I was going for the last week of October, and got a message about two weeks in advance saying I was being "invited" to participate. It actually sealed me to staying on property for my entire visit. I was originally only going to do a few days on property then a few days off, but wanted to explore this whole FP+ and magic band thing.

OP here and I'll be as clear as possible. Had all this mess with FP+, tiered attractions, etc. NOT been going on and it had been WDW as usual, there is ZERO doubt in my mind that we would have taken the trip instead of cancelling it. We were looking forward to it and needed a fun trip after a fairly crappy year. We looked forward to our WDW fix and suspending reality for a week or so. WDW was meant to relieve the stress, but all the uncertainty and constant changes were ADDING to the stress. I don't usually pay a fortune to have stress added to my life.

So yes, FP+ and all it entailed actually DID directly cause us to cancel the trip. Maybe you don't see it as a valid reason to cancel, but since you're not paying for my trip, your opinion as to validity matters not at all. Not everyone thinks as you do. Maybe that's hard for you to grasp, but it's true.

I have also cancelled our trip scheduled for next month. I am always reading the disboards but for the past few weeks I just haven't had time. So yesterday I finally sit down to check things out and to help me get a better understanding of the magic bands and how the new fast pass system worked. I had been having an extremely difficult time coordinating the fp+ with those of my mother and sister and was looking for tips. Well, first I read about the tiered system and was immediately taken aback. A few threads later I see how those staying at POP will not be able to pull FP- tickets. At this time it is only those at Pop. This may or may not change by the time we go. I talked to my kids and we all agreed this won't work for us probably ever but certainly during the busy holiday season.

We like you ride only the headliners and multiple times. The disappointment in not being able to do so make it not worth it.

I too am not saying I will never go back but I can walk away without regrets. I am disappointed but do not regret cancelling.

I think it is still 60 days

Some people could go there and be miserable under the best of circumstances because it's just not the type of vacation for them. I cannot imagine my BIL or my DBrother EVER being willing to go. Then again, I'd be miserable if I went on one of their dream vacations. Different strokes, you know. You do know, don't you?

I love going to Europe, but others would hate such a trip. I know people who would say, "If you go hunting/fishing and don't love it, then something is wrong with you." (Basically what you said, just a different trip.) But I promise you, I'd hate that kind of trip.

Absolutely! I know people who are perfectly happy to spend a week at the beach but I would hate it. It doesn't matter how great the beach is, I'd be bored after 2 days. I also know a lot of people who went to Disney World once, enjoyed themselves for the most part, but never went back and probably never will. They just prefer a different type of vacation.

Everyone has a different opinion on what makes a great vacation. I went to Rome a few years ago and only did ONE tourist thing (visited the Colosseum). I'm sure some people would scoff at this and think I wasted my money. But I had a fabulous time and would have stayed longer if I could have. We all have the right to spend our own money on a vacation we feel is worth the cost, and if some people feel like WDW isn't worth it right now that's completely valid. It's not a low-cost vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter