Update on Target Debit card limit

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Tara619, Feb 10, 2013.

1. scrapbookmomma74

scrapbookmomma74 We love DCL!!!

I do this, too! I don't care that I don't get my 5% off...those gift cards were FREE with purchasing stuff I would buy anyway! :)
    Who doesn't love FREE money???

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. neg58

neg58 DIS Veteran

If you don't yet have a card, you can probably save 10% because when you open a new account, you get 10% off the first day.

Nancy

4. jmarsh

jmarsh Mouseketeer

I forgot about this. I may have to open a debit red card with my other checking account so I can save the 10% off the gift cards when I buy them for my May trip... That would be a great savings

5. mom2jcg

mom2jcg Mouseketeer

I opened mine Friday and did not get 10% off. Maybe that is a special they run occasionally?

6. IBelieveInTheMagic

IBelieveInTheMagic DIS Veteran

I also never received a 10% off after I received mine in November - nor did my friend who applied on Black Friday in the store :confused3

Heather

7. jlemieu1

jlemieu1 DIS Veteran

Neither me or my wife got a 10% discount when we opened our Red credit cards. They gave me a $3000 limit with a inital limit of $2000. 2 days later my wife got the full $3000 limit with no inital limit. They do some times mail out an additional %5 off coupon that you can use with the Red card discount.

8. violetmonarch

violetmonarch Mouseketeer

I DO get 5% off my other purchases that I made to get my FREE Target gift cards, tho...free works for me! ;)

THANK YOU!! I love saving this way! :cool1:

9. neg58

neg58 DIS Veteran

You get the 5% off the other purchase LESS the amount of the free gift card. I bought a $500 ipad and got a $40 gift card. I got 5% off $460, not off $500, plus the $40 card; I paid $477 plus tax, and got an ipad and $40 card. If I returned the iPad, I would have received a $437 credit to my red card and kept the $40 card.

Still a good deal.

10. mammacaryn

mammacaryn Don't be a JERK!

Don't think they do this anymore. They used to do this before they started the 5% off all purchases.

You would get 10% off your first day....then after you spent $1000 they sent you a 10% off coupon.

Now, from day one you get 5% rather than having to accumulate "points" to get a discount.

11. violetmonarch

violetmonarch Mouseketeer

Okay...what I mean is that I use stacked coupons to purchase items that give a Target gift card as promotion. I pay for those items with my Target Red Card, getting 5% off. The Target gift cards are then used (once saved to desired amount) to purchase the Disney gift cards in a separate transaction, making them FREE. FWIW. ;)

12. momtoleasawav

momtoleasawav Mouseketeer

just saw this thread yesterday. I had no idea about the gift cards. We are cruising on Saturday. I went to target yesterday and got 550.00 in gift cards! saved 27.50. I am calling today to have them added to my onboard account.
    Thanks so much for the tip!

13. NWmom

NWmom DIS Veteran

Just make sure you make that call at least 2 -3 days in advance. I made my call too late so had to do things on ship. Less relaxing

14. momtoleasawav

momtoleasawav Mouseketeer

Thanks! Just called so I am all set!

15. RGLakatos

RGLakatos Mouseketeer

Hello Everyone;

I just opened a debit Red Card account. Target told me that they do not provide a 5% discount on gift cards but many people in the forum said they do.

What exactly is correct? Has anyone about Disney Gift Cards recently and received the 5% discount?

Can you order the Gift Cards online from Target or do you have to go in the store to get them? Is there a particular time where you can only get the 5% discount on Disney Cards?

Any clarification or insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

RGL

16. jilljill

jilljill <font color=blue>Collects Disney men!<br><font col

Answers are in the posts in this thread that I've merged with your thread.

17. erionm

erionm DIS Veteran

Only Target Gift Cards are exempt from the 5% discount. Gift Cards for Disney and other stores don't really ring up as 'Gift Cards', they are treated more as merchandise and as such the 5% discount does apply.

18. neg58

neg58 DIS Veteran

In store only. You can't buy them online.

Nancy

19. RGLakatos

RGLakatos Mouseketeer

Thank you for the clarification on the gift cards....greatly appreciate it.

20. RGLakatos

RGLakatos Mouseketeer

Anyone know what denomination Disney gift cards Target gas at their stores??

21. jilljill

jilljill <font color=blue>Collects Disney men!<br><font col

Usually $25 and $50, the $50 is more common in the stores I've been to. Never seen anything over $50.