UPDATE!!! car is fixed! Ready to leave on Friday, BUT....

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
my transmission in the van DIED today! We leave Friday!!!!!

I am hoping I can get it in the shop (and Pray Lord I do not need a new Transmission) and have them get it in and out..not have it be a job that takes DAYS.

What to do? Please send PD my way, for a fast recovery of the van.

Our whole trip was planned on us driving.

UPDATE! Car is fixed! OMG! I called a service center that my friend recommended, and told them I wanted to aviod a middle man, so if they don't fix transmissions, could they give me a referral. They sure did! I called this transmission shop, and explained my problem, and that we needed to drive to Fla on Friday. Unfortunately, he told me IF it was a major repair job, the liklihood of having the car for Friday was slim. But, he offered to take a look at it, no charge (SWEET) and give me a quote and let me know what was going on. He called back around 2PM to tell me it was a shift switch that was broke, he was not going to condemn the transmission until he fixed the switch he knew was bad. He said it would be done by tomorrow, IF the transmission was fine after the repair (could still be looking at a major repair)....He called tonight, he stayed late 8PM, to get it done, and it is all SET! All fixed, no major repair, can pick it up first thing in the AM. HE says it runs beautifully! WOOHOO.

AND....I was expecting a major repair job ($1600) AND having to find alternate transportation to Disney (minimum $900) the grand total for the repair is a meek $350.00

I know, usually an unexpected $350 repair bill would have me on the floor, but looking at what I was expecting to have to pay, I am doing a pretty happy jig right now.

My DH was quite impressed with this transmission guy. Now THAT is customer service! He wants to send him a thank you with a gift certificate to a restaurant.

Good luck.

If you've got some spare time, start scouting for rental prices with unlimited miles. Try mousesavers.com for discount codes. I've seen $199 weekly van rental rates out of MCO, but don't know if you could get that good a deal from your local rental counter.

I've never had to pay for any major repairs like that, but in case the shop tries to hit you with any additional fees for expediting parts delivery, overtime, etc., you might as well have some alternatives ready.

Originally posted by tjkraz
Good luck.

If you've got some spare time, start scouting for rental prices with unlimited miles. Try mousesavers.com for discount codes. I've seen $199 weekly van rental rates out of MCO, but don't know if you could get that good a deal from your local rental counter.

I've never had to pay for any major repairs like that, but in case the shop tries to hit you with any additional fees for expediting parts delivery, overtime, etc., you might as well have some alternatives ready.

Thanks for the advice. I was getting quotes for a rental we can drive, and it would cost us for the amount of days we would need it, $668.00 that comes with 1100 free miles, so we would have to pay 1900 miles @ $.29/mile. So anther $530 some odd bucks.

With the amount of miliege we would be driving, I do not think renting a car would be uncostly. :eek:

:wave2: I don't know how many in your party, but have you thought about flying? We are a family of 3, and can usually get round tickets for less then $500. Also, if your car is in the shop, some garages will let you use a rent- a- car, through them. Also your car insurance may have one, with a deductible. Either way, may be cheaper than a normal Rent place.
Good luck! :sunny:

:worried: PD coming your way!! Wish I could lend you mine. Have you tried Verc and Old Colony? I see the Verc signs for van rentals a lot - I believe they have unlimited mileage but not sure, and I rented from Old Colony a few months ago and they were good (next to Sullivan Collision in Kingston). Would it help to rent from an airport location? Good luck and let us know.

Have you checked all the car companies? We have booked Avis and National not in FL with unlimited miles before. Keep checking and look here http://www.mousesavers.com/ for some discount tips. Sending pd your way. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Hi,

Just wanted to send you some PD!!! :wizard::wizard: Keep us posted!!!

Allison

I'm so glad it all worked out! Have a WONDERFUL trip! (keep the transmission guy's card in your wallet!)

I had a similar instance happen two days before I was scheduled to drive to Iowa for my grandmother's memorial service. Hopped in the (new!) van one morning and the entire electrical system was hosed....no spedometer...no lights...no power anything (except the radio...oddly enough!).

The dealer was less than supportive (though they were trying). I asked them to give me a loaner van, considering the circumstances. They danced around that one for a while...and then decided they would rent me a car...yeah...for a family of give on a 12 hour trip...NOT! I bought that in-vehicle DVD player for a reason, you know! I got on the phone with Dodge/Chrysler and they were WONDERFUL! I couldn't have asked for better service. They OK'd a rental van for me...unlimited timeframe...and kept the dealer on their toes the whole time. They Delta-Dashed the part (the controller for the whole electrical system...sorry...can't remember the name now) and got it fixed before I had to leave.

Wow! I am so happy that you did not have to do some major transmission fixing! $350 repair is so much nicer!

Have a safe drive down; we will be flying out on Friday and our bags are NOT packed and the house is not clean and I still have to get traveller's cheques!

I went back to work last week from a year off LOA from a back injury and I have not gotten my act together to get anything done in a timely manner! Oh well, it will all get together somehow and soon we all will be having a grand time at the most happiest place on earth!

So glad it worked out, I was kind of worried...

Have a great trip!!

My DH was quite impressed with this transmission guy. Now THAT is customer service! He wants to send him a thank you with a gift certificate to a restaurant.
Would love to know who that was for future reference.

Pea n Me...he is in Weymouth if you are in the area. GREAT guy!

Just picked the van up, it shifts so smooth now! Anyway, I am getting this guy a GC to maybe the Outback. He quoted us $350.00 yesterday before he did the work, the final bill was $297!

He stayed late to get it done last night, and didn't even charge us a whole hour of labor .90 was the labor time.

Anyway, Ted's Transmission in Weymouth. On Pleasant St. Pleasant St is the street that runs behind So. Shore Hospital. 1333 Pleasant St is the address. I hope you never need to use him, but if you do, he the guy! He's really young, too, surprised me a little. LOL

This was a wonderful outcome! Hope the rest of your trip goes as well!

***"My DH was quite impressed with this transmission guy. Now THAT is customer service! He wants to send him a thank you with a gift certificate to a restaurant."***

You may want to wait until AFTER you're home before sending a gift cert.

Actually, I'm only half-way joking. I don't know what the trans failure was so I have no idea what he did for $297.00 but that sounds way to cheap. Hope everything works out well for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter