UP- 3D worth the extra money?

mominwestlake

DIS Veteran
My kids really want to see UP. I know some of you thought it wasn't really a kid movie but we are still going to give it a try. Their are ages 7, 11,12, and 14. Our theater shows it in 3D for $2.50 more than a regular matinee price. Do you think the 3D effects would be really good in this movie? We saw Bolt in 3D and I didn't think it was all that great.

Anyway, what do you think?

My kids, 14 and 17, thought the 3D wasn't worth worrying about. I thought it was very cool, but they didn't throw things at you or anything. The picture just looked deeper than with a normal film.

This movie is way better than Bolt!

I saw it in 3D on the Disney Wonder, and while it was a nice perk, not worth the extra money IMO (obviously we didn't pay for it, it was being shown on the ship). The glasses actually started bothering my eyes after a while.

The movie was great, though! We loved it!

I wondered about those of us who wear regular glasses for watching movies. Do the 3D glasses even fit over regular ones? We saw the regular version and thought it was lovely. No where near us has it in 3D, but I was curious for future films. The glasses at WDW fit OK, but I assume the ones in a theater are not the same.

I personally wasn't willing to pay the extra $$$$ to see it in 3D. I really enjoyed the movie in regular vision. *sniff* Really made me miss my Gamer tho... I was misting up at the end of the movie... :lmao:...I'm such a dork.

I personally think it is worth it. We always choose to see the 3d version if there is one. The picture is so rich and dimensional. And yes, the glasses fit fine over regular glasses. This is just our personal opinion of course.

We saw the regular version, not the 3-D version, and we really enjoyed it. (I think you will really enjoy it even if you *don't* spring for 3-D.) Our local newspaper review said that the 3-D version was well done, but that you lose some of the brightness of the colors, etc, in the 3-D version. He actually recommended seeing it both ways. I'm not sure if we'll go back to see the 3-D version in the theaters (doubt it), but I hope they put both versions on the DVD or Blu-Ray.

I saw it in 3D. I've never paid $11 to see a movie. Sheesh!

The graphics were really good period. But it is Pixar and that is to expected. After a while I forgot I was watching a 3D movie and just thought "wow, this is a good movie."

My 47 year old mother thought the 3D movie was pretty much the coolest thing ever.

I think it would have been just as good as a non-3D movie. I could have saved myself $4.50.

We saw it in 3d only because the time worked better with our schedule & while everything was really made sharper with the 3d I really don't think it was worth the extra $$. I felt so bad for my DS4 because the glasses come in one size & his kept falling off so he ended up leaving them off for a good part of the movie. When I took mine off to see how it looked to him it was so blurry--poor kid! They definitely need to have a kids size in those glasses! I have prescription glasses & I had no issues putting them over the top.

Whether you decide on 2d or 3d, go see the movie--it was awesome! Definitely make sure your there on time to see the Pixar short clip at the start of it! Have fun!

We saw it in 3D, but I had movie cash. I only had to pay an extra dollar for mine and dh tickets, as the movie cash covered the total cost of the kids 3D movie ticket. If I was paying out of pocket I don't think it would have been worth the additional 3.50 per ticket that they charge. It was a really great movie and you will love it even without the 3D.

I wondered about those of us who wear regular glasses for watching movies. Do the 3D glasses even fit over regular ones? We saw the regular version and thought it was lovely. No where near us has it in 3D, but I was curious for future films. The glasses at WDW fit OK, but I assume the ones in a theater are not the same.

My DH has "Big" glasses and they fit over fine.

For us I LOVED the 3-D it isn't in your face 3-d it's just movie enhancing 3-d. You feel like you are in the movie. Oh and those balloons.
My 4 year old had no problem keeping the glasses on. But we have seen other 3-d movies before.

After listening to the Peter Travers podcast from Rolling Stone, we went with the regular version. He agreed with a PP and said you do miss some of the depth of color in the 3D version and recommended you save your money.

I was worried aobut this too, but the glasses are actually nice (you will look like Buddy Holly) and fit well over regular glasses. I really liked the film as did my 2 grandkids. The effects are not extreme, as the OP said it just added depth..very well done. But if you don't want to spring for the extra and your theater offers both the regular movie and the 3D you could easily skip the 3D version.
It was charming..very well done and both GK said they wanted to see it again.

Am I the only one who can't afford to take my kids to see this movie? It's 13.25 for adults and 10.25 for children. If I take my kids (DH wouldn't come) that would be $70.50. Is it worth it?

Am I the only one who can't afford to take my kids to see this movie? It's 13.25 for adults and 10.25 for children. If I take my kids (DH wouldn't come) that would be $70.50. Is it worth it?

We must be lucky, our theaters don't cost as much! I guess if I had to pay that I might think twice. We saw a matinee and it was $40 for 5 of us. $6 each for the movie and an extra $2 for the 3D.

Our movie wasn't that expensive either. We saw a weekend matinee for $7/each. (We went to the regular version. I think 3-D was a couple bucks more.)

Movies are super expensive...but we go to the matinee and don't buy snacks, so we can get out of there for under $40. We only go to a few movies per year, but IMHO, this was one I'm glad we saw.

We saw it in 3d only because the time worked better with our schedule & while everything was really made sharper with the 3d I really don't think it was worth the extra $$. I felt so bad for my DS4 because the glasses come in one size & his kept falling off so he ended up leaving them off for a good part of the movie. When I took mine off to see how it looked to him it was so blurry--poor kid! They definitely need to have a kids size in those glasses! I have prescription glasses & I had no issues putting them over the top.

Whether you decide on 2d or 3d, go see the movie--it was awesome! Definitely make sure your there on time to see the Pixar short clip at the start of it! Have fun!

Ditto on this. 3D time slot was better for us. I paid an extra $4 to see it in 3D, per person, x5. (20 bucks!) My 4 year old took off the glasses and so did my MIL. Good movie but not worth the extra for 3D.

Oh yeah it was a matinee so the "dicounted" price for the regular movie (not 3D) was 7.00 per person and then $4 per ticket extra for 3 D. We were 5 people so $55 for the movie. I bought snacks at Target but still those were $10 and I had a B1G1 free popcorn coupon so I "only" paid 6.75 for 2 large popcorns. Total it still cost me over $70 for the 5 of us to see a movie and that was with cost saving efforts. If I had bought a drink for each of us, some candy and a few popcorns to share at the theater we easily could have spent over $100.

If you have younger kids, then I don't know if the 3D is worth it. My 7 year loved it, but my 4 year old took the glasses off and watched it without them.
We went to a matinee and it was $10.50 per person. The only good thing was that I used my movie rewards card for the theater and got a free ticket to use on another movie.

We saw it yesterday at DTD. Cost was $7.00 for kids under 12 and $10 for adults. It was after 4pm prices. Large popcorn was $6.75 and fee refill so we shared and had plenty.
Very good movie that we all enjoyed and we skipped the xtra $3 for the 3d

It was myself and 3 boys under 12 so 4 of us for less than $40 bucks so I thought that was pretty good for being at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter