Unofficial Pin Traders at the Parks

robndani

DIS Veteran
When we were there in the Spring, there were some unofficial pin traders in Epcot (not Disney cast members). My niece (who is 5) got SOOOO excited because she just started trading pins but they wouldn't trade with her and weren't nice about it.

I know it's not Disney's fault and that everyone has a right to trade or not trade, but with those HUGE books FILLED with pins, couldn't they just have a little section in the book for little kids who run up all excited?!? Or maybe a sign stating that they are serious traders looking for hard to find pins or whatever?

It was just one of the most un-Disney like things we've ever experienced there... anyone else ever deal with that?

I had one of those "hardcore pin traders" refuse a trade with me because, according to her, the pin I had was a scrapper - except that I got it out of a retail-purchased Hidden Mickey mystery pack.

After that, I don't bother with those folks.

There are some that are nice, but unfortunately the ones that are not are the ones that most people hear about. I've also come across the "professional" traders that are out to get the most valuable (in terms of money) pin possible. I've even heard more than one ask a guest to go buy multiple pins from the shop and bring those pins back to trade with them. For a lot of them, this is a business and their goal is to make money. Disney has tried to discourage them from being in the parks, but not always successfully.

I've never pesonally dealt with "hard core" traders since I'm a collecting only pin fan but, I've heard plenty of stories about them. Sorry your daughter had to deal with them but you guys lucked out, those types of traders especially one so rude would probably try to scam you out of nice pins. Hope the rest of your trip was magical thoughprincess::tink:::MinnieMo

My daughter recently finished the college internship program there. She and all the cast members are encouraged to wear pins for trading as long as they were not in safety critical roles. They are given pins to trade and cannot turn a child down. The cast members participating are wearing the lanyards and usually loaded down with pins (sometimes unique pins you don't often find in the parks). My daughter LOVED getting approached by the kids and half the time wouldn't trade - she'd just give them the pin they wanted because she couldn't bear to see them struggle to give up one of their pins. Encourage your daughter to approach cast members to trade. It makes the cast members' day and your daughter is always "princess" to them. You can find a way to deflect your daughter from those professional pin traders by using whatever stranger danger teaching techniques you use.

I'm more a collector than a trader, so I've never encountered one of these folks. But, you've given me the idea to make sure I've got some set aside for kids I encounter who do want to trade. Looks like I'll be making a stop at the shop for that when I get to the park!

When we were there in the Spring, there were some unofficial pin traders in Epcot (not Disney cast members). My niece (who is 5) got SOOOO excited because she just started trading pins but they wouldn't trade with her and weren't nice about it.

I know it's not Disney's fault and that everyone has a right to trade or not trade, but with those HUGE books FILLED with pins, couldn't they just have a little section in the book for little kids who run up all excited?!? Or maybe a sign stating that they are serious traders looking for hard to find pins or whatever?

It was just one of the most un-Disney like things we've ever experienced there... anyone else ever deal with that?

I'm sorry, that stinks. I personally don't have a special marked kids only page in my book, but I love interacting with the kids who come up and ask to trade. I usually get compliments on my disney tattoos as well. most of the "professionals" are nice, but they can lose their patience for people who are casual traders. Some pins are highly collectible or rare, and they'll get 20 people in a day offering a common or scrapper pin, when it's not equal value. Kids don't know better, of course, that their pins aren't equal.
My best trades were with little kids, i'm only in it for the fun of it, so except for my first page, all pins are kid friendly. My first page is for the "professionals" who might have my favorite character. Stitch of course. He's pretty hard to trade for too. I have much better luck buying them on eBay, but again, i just find trading fun. I'd just tell her that those people spend A LOT of money and are only looking for certain things, and steer her to the nearest happy cast member. :)
And next time, hopefully you'll run into me, and we'll have some fabulous trading! :)

Ive struck up conversations with some of them and some of them are nice. Some of them not so much. All of them are VERY serious though. I've never traded with them because they only want my most amazing pins. "No I won't trade that one! That's why I have it because I want it!" They're a different bunch that's for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter