Universal's attendance down, profits up

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by crazy4wdw, May 12, 2007.

1. crazy4wdw

crazy4wdw DIS Veteran

UNIVERSAL'S OPERATING PROFIT RISES

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. swilphil

swilphil Feels trapped in a Brady Bunch episode at the Poly

I wonder if their resort occupancy is up this year, along with getting extra from people who buy the Express Pass. I've only been to Universal once, and we spent most of our time at the Resort Pacific Resort instead of in the parks, as originally planned. I thought Disney deluxes were pricey until I went to book at the Royal Pacific. It was a lot of $$, but I do have to say it was so much nicer than any of the Disney resorts.

4. ToddS

ToddS Mouseketeer

It's funny... the tone of this story seems to imply that this is a good news/bad news type of situation for Universal. But isn't this really a win/win? If they can increase revenue while park attendance decreases, don't the less-crowded parks create a more pleasant experience for the visitor? I'd love it if Disney could find a way to reduce park attendance while increasing (or at least maintaining) revenue. Aside from increasing admission price, of course. ;)

5. Peter Pirate 2

Peter Pirate 2 <font color=red>I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I

The Royal Pacific is much nicer than AKL, The Polynesian or Grand Floridian??? I beg to differ. It's a quality hotel but the AKL experience blows it away, IMO. Now the Hard Rock is nicer than Royal Pacific but still no better than the three I mentioned (I haven't stayed at Portofino), of course we all certainly get to have our own opinion.:cool1:

USO just pulled 'an Eisner' in the last couple of years and cut, cut, cut so even though attendance is down profits were still up. This can't continue though and is why we're hearing rumblings of grand additions to Universal...We'll see.
    pirate:

6. G8RFAN

G8RFAN What were we talking about?

The analysis is volume variance versus $ variance. When looking at a company's revenues, you always want to see growth however not at the expense of your margins. When you analyze an increase in volume and attendance being down, the trend could be alarming if the decline in attendance continues. The market needs to know if the $ variance is due to an increase in ticket prices, cross marketing, expansion into a difference line of business or a repositioning of pricepoint up market for everything. Generally, if the market expected the decline due to an event consistent with the industry, or market, or a direct result of a repositioning of the "product" the corporation is not penalized.

But I agree, I love it when the parks are empty.

7. ToddS

ToddS Mouseketeer

Very true -- good point.

8. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

Harry Potter will reverse that, if only they'd get busy.

And yes, Peter Pirate, it is a matter of opinion. I love, love, LOVE AKL but I would never consider it as luxurious as any of the three Universal hotels. The Polynesian is an old, overpriced favorite of mine and to me the Grand Floridian is a poor copy of the Hotel Del but these are just my opinions. I think that Loew's is just simply good at that luxury stuff.

By the way, Portofino is the best of the lot but way too quiet for me. You should meander over there sometime.

9. Peter Pirate 2

Peter Pirate 2 <font color=red>I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I

I've been there (to Portofino), just never stayed and it does seem more luxurious but I just can't see RPR as more "anything" than the AKL (So I guess it's AKL that I'm still so impressed with) ... As I said I can see the argument for HRH but yes, opinions are just that. RE: The Polynesian, I agree, but I'm always a little scared to say anything bad about it around here. Shhhh. ;)

I agree that HP would be huge, especially if they attack it with the same vigor they had when they built IOA initially.
    pirate: