Universal Yesterday...

BuckeyeGuy28

"Why So Serious"
Anybody have pics, stories, memories, or fun stuff that regards Universal back in the day (from 1991 when it first opened to 1999 to when it became a resort to the last time you remember something changing;) )? If so, post them! I just realized how much the place has changed, so let this be a sort of time capsule. It'd be kind of funny to see what we'd do with or without some of the things that were only back then...

i went in june 1992.

still have the ticket and parking stubs from the first trip.
we took a day off from the disney parks and hit universal.

it was so thrilling for us, we ended going back for 2 more days that week.
we were hooked from the start for that place.....

the tram ride through parts of the park was a highlight for us.
we were so sad when that was discontinued.

some of the shows of the past we still miss.
Murder She Wrote, Ghostbuster show, the orignal HRC, Wild West show and the lagoon water show at the end of the night........

(i have found some of the original shows on you tube recently.)

The original entrance for the studios had large plants on each side.
each year i would take pictures of my 3 sons by them.
each year my kids would grow and so would the potted plants there.
that's one personal memory that will always stay with me.

and.....i still can remember the prices at RPH when it was $89/night and HRH at $112 a night.

those days are long gone........

I remember the old psycho house, when Monster Cafe was the Commissary, and the old Phamtom of the opera set up inside the Horror make-up show. I remember the trams and back lot tour. I also remember part of "The Wall" and I had my picture taken in front of it with my Pink Floyd shirt on.
here is an old picture with my DD in front of the globe. (the blonde) I believe it was taken a couple of months after the Studios first opened. DD is 27 now. :) we have been going to Universal every year since it first opened. usually, 2 or 3 times a year with our last visit during horror nights 2008.
SundaySeptember172006.jpg

My first visit was when they had the 2nd Halloween Horror Nights back like in 1992.The event was nothing compared to what they do with the event nowadays,but I thought it was the coolest thing ever.Back to the Future was the "IT" ride and I remember waiting like over an hour for the ride,which I also thought was the coolest thing!All the classic attractions that are gone now were there and there are still some that I miss like King Kong and Hannah Barbera.It's amazing how it's all changed over the years.

I remember the old psycho house, when Monster Cafe was the Commissary, and the old Phamtom of the opera set up inside the Horror make-up show. I remember the trams and back lot tour. I also remember part of "The Wall" and I had my picture taken in front of it with my Pink Floyd shirt on.

What was "The Wall"?:confused3

A part of the Berlin wall. It was next to the Beatles Magical Mystery bus that was parked outside the original Hard Rock Cafe.
The basic park structure has not changed much with the exception of Fievel's Play land and the Barney/Curious George area. CW used to be the parking lot

A part of the Berlin wall. It was next to the Beatles Magical Mystery bus that was parked outside the original Hard Rock Cafe.
The basic park structure has not changed much with the exception of Fievel's Play land and the Barney/Curious George area. CW used to be the parking lot

WOW I remember that..I know I got a picture of that.Just finding it in one of the 20 albulms I got..A needle in the haystack!

I remember our first visits, before IOA, when the parking garages didn't exist. Ah, those were the days!

Does anyone remember the Star Trek movie attraction they had? You could go in, they'd dress you in Star Trek uniforms and you would 'act' out scenes in front of a blue screen, and then you could buy a tape of it with the background, special effects, and other actors added in. I did this with my DH and mom (I think it was 1994 or 95), and it was hilarious. I was the captain and my mom was the Vulcan, I think DH was an extra or something. Very embarrasing blackmail material to watch now!!

Yes it was in the area that is now the entrance to ROTM and it was the IOA preview area prior to that.

I've always regretted not getting the chance to ride Kong. It was back in the Mummy building wasn't it?

I've always regretted not getting the chance to ride Kong. It was back in the Mummy building wasn't it?
Yes...the whole queue area looked like the subway tunnels in NYC. I was completely shocked when ROTM first opened and saw the difference in the queue. It was a fun ride.

Kong ruled.......

:sad1:

I remember several years ago at Horror nights, they had a walk through area inside Kong and we got to walk through the inside street under where the trams would go. I remember how neat it was to stand at the bottom and look up at Kong and see how huge he really was.

I miss Kongfrontation. :sad1:

Kong was so awesome! Mummy is good, but that ride with the giant ape was so...different, I guess, and fun that nothing will ever come close to it. Back to the Future was also a favorite of mine...gone!:sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter