Universal to take on Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by rascalmom, May 31, 2007.

1. rascalmom

rascalmom <font color=purple>Business trips should include a

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. crazy4wdw

crazy4wdw DIS Veteran

Harry Potter coming to Orlando's Universal Studios

4. EUROPACL

EUROPACL DIS Veteran

Really what areas would you say are lacking in theming and attention to detail?

5. ChrisFL

ChrisFL Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

6. crazy4wdw

crazy4wdw DIS Veteran

Appears we're off to a great start this morning! Please remember the board guidelines about posting comments which are personal attacks. Here's the link: http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

I do not want to close down this thread before a discussion on the topic can begin.

7. eeyorethegreat

eeyorethegreat DIS Veteran

My family has never been interested in visiting Universal/IOA. It just doesn't have an interest for us. My husband asked the kids if they wanted to take a day or two on our trip and go to Universal and none of them did it just doesn't peak their interest or mine.

I know folks who really enjoy it but I always said that we would probably never go and spend the money because we just didn't seem to have a level of interest or curiousity to make it worthwhile. This however puts a whole new spin on things.:banana: I would gladly take a day away from my WDW vacation to go to IOA if for nothing else but to spend the day in an area entirely themed to Harry Potter!!:woohoo: I am sure that The powers that be at Universal know this too. I think that with this addition they will not only get a population of folks like my family who wouldn't otherwise visit Universal/IOA and repeat visits from people who already love these theme parks.

I told my kids this morning "I'm going to say something that you never expected me to say. After we get back from WDW in August, we are saving for another trip and next trip we will be making a visit to IOA" They stared at me blankly not impressed with my idea then I told them WHY. They are all for going now! It'll be interesting to hear about the progression and development of this area. And Now I can say that I really am looking forward to IOA and have no issue about it being worth the $$ for our family.:cool1:

8. ADP

ADP <marquee><font color=red>I'm a huggin' fool</marqu

IOA has been considered the best themed amusement park in the world. This will only make it more difficult to catch.

The only complaint over the years has been its lack of new and fresh attractions. This announcement will help put that complaint to rest for a while.

9. 2Xited4Disney

2Xited4Disney DIS Veteran

Anyone else agree that this is the BEST thing that has ever happened to Disney?

Now that Universal will be creating this Harry Potter Enviornment, HOPEFULLY, Disney will pour huge amounts of money into Walt Disney World to compete

10. rwrocksme

rwrocksme <font color=green>I turn towards the wall and moo<

I am incredably (sp?) excited! My girlfriends and I practically have our bags packed already... :)

11. Killer Fish

Killer Fish Mr. Hospitality

This is big news and it might actually get me to go back to IOA one day. About time that they spent some money in their parks. I have not been in years because absolutely nothing has changed.

12. Barb

Barb A DIS Original!

We love US and IOA! It's always a must do on our trip to WDW/Orlando. So we are thrilled to hear this news. It's going to be hard to wait! :thumbsup2

13. JakeJoshMom

JakeJoshMom JakeJoshMom

I am so excited about the HP themed LAND at US. I have never been to US. Now I will consider going to US for 1 day to see HP Land.
    I just love the books and movies - i was hoping Disney would get to do the LAND since they purchased the rights to the movies for TV.

14. GinnieCricket

GinnieCricket Earning My Ears

Well good for US! I went there a great deal as a kid, but have not had any desire to go there since high school. I am a HP enthusiast and can't wait to see what IOA does with the theming. I can already see the rides and shows in my head. The Sorting Hat Dinner show, the coaster ride based on Gringotts and the ride to the vault, the Quidditch ride, etc. There is so much for them to work with. I hope they do it right...

15. crazy4wdw

crazy4wdw DIS Veteran

16. DisneyTones913

DisneyTones913 Stay as you are!

i just got an email about this from Universal Orlando so it must be very official. I am excited, being a recovering harry potter addict:lmao: haha. But, i do hope it makes disney want to work on their own parks to compete with this!

17. YoHo

YoHo If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

The problem with IOA's themeing is that they don't actually understand what themeing is. It's themed like a Vegas Hotel, not in the traditional Disney sense. This project is the first that may overcome that.

And I'll say that the best outcome of this may be that it forces Disney to spend significant cash in Florida's parks something they've been distinctly unwilling to do.

Of course, they probably will just cheap out, but hey, The odds went from 1:1000000 to 1:100000 that they'd do something right.

18. EUROPACL

EUROPACL DIS Veteran

I'm sorry to disagree...The Lost Continent, Port of Entry, Toon Lagoon, Jurassic Park, Seuss Landing....are themed as well as anything done by Disney...the only low spot is Marvel Super Hero Island and Spiderman more than makes up for the Rockin Roller Coaster type of cutouts found on the Island.

19. ChrisFL

ChrisFL Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

What do you mean by vegas hotel theming? Im not saying youre wrong, I just dont understand it.

20. YoHo

YoHo If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

Hmm, I could write a thesis on this, and I will at some point. AV could write it too, but the short short version is this.

Vegas is trying to "Celebrate" a location. Disney Themeing much more literally puts you in a place and time. Also, Disney themeing is done to support a story that Disney is trying to tell. There's more to it then just "Hey Dinosaurs" or, "Hey Superheros."

I promise I'll put something more complete up fairly soon.

21. MJMcBride

MJMcBride Barely lost is barely found