Universal tickets

r5moores

R5moores
I know.....Iknow........ Don't hang me. Does anyone know of any discounts on universal tickets? We are once again making our yearly trip to see the Mouse and decided to throw in some universal . Was NOT even going to try and attempt last year with the opening of Harry Potter. Thanks :thumbsup

Costco offers a 3-day ticket that doesn't expire until 2013 or 2014, so you could use one or two days on multiple trips if you visit Orlando yearly. The tickets are 139.99 at our warehouse. They are park to park tickets.

UCT offers discounts like a PP posted. Depending how many days you are going and whether or not you are staying onsite at Universal (highly recommended :)), an annual pass can be a good deal. Non-resident preferred APs are about $250 with tax, but Universal offers great AP rates on their hotels. We bought one AP last year for a 3-night stay and more than covered the cost difference from the tickets we had (from Costco) and the AP cost (and I was able to convince DH to go back again this year since I have an AP and we got great rates on the hotel again). It's probably not worth it for a one or two night stay, though, although you do also get food and merchandise discounts. You also get discounts on tickets you purchase for your family.

You can buy online from Universal - it is $10 cheaper per ticket than buying at the gate (for multi-day tickets).

Some employers offer Universal discounts. DH's employer offers Universal tickets for a great rate, so we got tickets through his employer for everyone but me, since my AP is still valid.

Enjoy your trip to the Dark Side. We love Universal and Disney!

Costco offers a 3-day ticket that doesn't expire until 2013 or 2014, so you could use one or two days on multiple trips if you visit Orlando yearly. The tickets are 139.99 at our warehouse. They are park to park tickets.

UCT offers discounts like a PP posted. Depending how many days you are going and whether or not you are staying onsite at Universal (highly recommended :)), an annual pass can be a good deal. Non-resident preferred APs are about $250 with tax, but Universal offers great AP rates on their hotels. We bought one AP last year for a 3-night stay and more than covered the cost difference from the tickets we had (from Costco) and the AP cost (and I was able to convince DH to go back again this year since I have an AP and we got great rates on the hotel again). It's probably not worth it for a one or two night stay, though, although you do also get food and merchandise discounts. You also get discounts on tickets you purchase for your family.

You can buy online from Universal - it is $10 cheaper per ticket than buying at the gate (for multi-day tickets).

Some employers offer Universal discounts. DH's employer offers Universal tickets for a great rate, so we got tickets through his employer for everyone but me, since my AP is still valid.

Enjoy your trip to the Dark Side. We love Universal and Disney!

Can I ask your opinion :flower3: If you were just visiting Universal for first time for 1 day (possibly part of 2nd day) with 6 year old would it be worth purchasing the line bypass feature ? I see it on their website, I know it doesn't cover all attractions but I think it is probably worth the money, even though the trip would be in middle of September which could be a lower crowd time.

Many thanks for your suggestions :)

Another vote for Costco. We bought tickets before our trip last month. We used 2 days and each have a day left for our trip next year. They do not expire till 2014. Im considering buying more tickets from Costco to put up for our 2013 and 2014 trips. With the price increase Im willing to bet that eventually the Costco tickets will have an price increase. $139.99 for 3 day park to park tickets is a great deal.

Can I ask your opinion :flower3: If you were just visiting Universal for first time for 1 day (possibly part of 2nd day) with 6 year old would it be worth purchasing the line bypass feature ? I see it on their website, I know it doesn't cover all attractions but I think it is probably worth the money, even though the trip would be in middle of September which could be a lower crowd time.

Many thanks for your suggestions :)

There are two different express options - the one you can purchase on the website, which allows one-time express access for each ride that has express, and the express access for staying onsite, which is unlimited express for all rides with express as well as early entry into the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Depending on the number of people in your group and the lodging you have planned, staying onsite might be a better option.

Running the numbers:

September is a low crowd time. Express passes are currently priced at 19.99 per person for one park and 25.99 per person for both parks (if you hop in one day, not for two days). If you wanted to buy the express pass for three people for both days, it would be $120 (assuming three people since you mentioned one child - your numbers may vary). A room at the Royal Pacific Resort is $219 (I picked a random weekend day in September for the quote - this is the seasonal rate) and it gives you unlimited express for the check-in and check-out days, so it is a better deal to stay onsite if you are paying more than $100 for your room that night (unless you are in the middle of a WDW package). AAA rates are usually available at the hotels, but you have to call - you can't book them online.

Benefits of the purchased Express pass:

You can decide when you get there if you want to buy them at all - you might not need them in September.

You can buy only one day if only one day warrants them.

Cons of the purchased Express pass:

The current price of 19.99 is likely to be higher if you buy them when you arrive.

If you buy them in advance, you can't get a refund if the park is not crowded that day.

If your 6-year old wants to ride One Fish, Two Fish twelve times in a row (I know this from personal experience ;)), you could use express once, but you would wait in line the other 11 times. The purchased express pass is good one time for each ride.

Benefits of the on-site express access:

Unlimited use of the express lines - 12 rides on One Fish, Two Fish means twelve times through the express line with little to no wait.

Early entry to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (very valuable since Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is one of the few ride without express access, and if you want to do the show at Ollivander's, it is best to go first thing since the line is very slow).

All three hotels are AAA four diamond hotels - as nice as the Disney deluxes for a much better price.

You can walk or take a boat from the hotels to the parks - it is very easy to take a pool break in the afternoon.

One night at the on-site hotels gives you unlimited express for your check-in and check-out days.

Cons of the on-site access:

None except the price of the hotel room, which is more than a Disney value or moderate but is definitely worth the price if it is in the budget.

The only rides without express access are Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (48 inch height requirement), Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket (I think it is a 52 inch height requirement, but it might be 54 inches) and Pteranodon Flyers (child must be between 36 and 56 inches. Anyone taller must have a child meeting the height limits with them. My DD8 loved this ride, but she ony did it once since it loads slowly).

The express pass is a very nice perk, whether it is purchased separately or comes with an onsite room. It is very possible to do the parks without the express pass, especially since you are going at a slower time. For us, it is worth it since we love the onsite hotels and since I know my kids will want to ride certain rides over and over again.

Hope this helps! :goodvibes

Thank you soooo much StitchAndPooh'sMom !! Your reply is very informative and will help a great deal with the decision :goodvibes

We just got all 4 of our Universal passes for free using our Chase Rewards. If you have time before your trip, it might be worth looking into the Chase Ultimate rewards Visa. Saved about $450 that way. :thumbsup2

Something to consider with the Express Pass feature (sorry I do not know the formal name)...when we were there last October, it was VERY crowded at Disney but we walked onto everything at Universal, with the exception of the Harry Potter ride. And even that was only a half hour wait. We saw lots of people walking around the the passes around their necks but they were totally unnecessary when we were there. I don't think we waited more than 5 minutes for any ride, even though we were waiting sometimes 60 minutes at the Disney parks. Maybe it was just a fluke but I'm glad we didn't spend the extra $$$.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter