Universal Studios - Hollywood

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by Lollipop's Mom, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Lollipop's Mom

Lollipop's Mom <font color=teal>Special trip with your little one

Is it worth it? We love thrill rides and everything to do with movies, but the price is a bit steep - is it worth it? How long do you think is needed to see it? Is about 5-6 hours enough? And also citywalk - how is that?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Horizons16

Horizons16 <font color=navy>Is experiment 626<br><font color=

Great, I was just about to ask that same question!
    :)

4. daannzzz

daannzzz OMG...Theres my favorite scrambled

Universal Studios Hollywood is way different than Orlando.
    The one in Orlando is a great Themepark but not as interesting as far as it being a movie studio.
    In Holywood it is a movie studio that has partially turned into a theme pakr. As a theme park it isn't quite as good but if you love movies it is great as you get to tour "Old" hollywood soundstages and backlots. It used to be better IMHO with much more history but it is still pretty cool to see a lot of this stuff.
    As far as thril rides go they only have the new Mummy Coaster and Back to the Future and Jurasic Park.
    If you are expecting lots of rides you will be disappointed. If you want a few rides and some shows and the history of a movie studio where there are movies and TV shows always being filmed you will probably like it. You will need at the very leat 6 hours. It is best to take a whole day.

5. iceskatejen

iceskatejen <font color=0000CC>I did it 4 times during my trip

I agree that it's best to take the whole day. Also, try to go on a weekday--it's much less crowded and there's pretty much always some sort of filming going on during the week.

6. lap3

lap3 DIS Veteran

Regarding City Walk, it's like an outdoor mall with a lot of very good restaurants and many concept stores. It's definitely worth checking out. However, keep in mind that the weekend evenings can get really crowded! If you do decide to go, keep a look out because stars have been known to frequent the area.

7. Horizons16

Horizons16 <font color=navy>Is experiment 626<br><font color=

Great, thanks! :)

8. pamkass

pamkass Mouseketeer

If you like all the live shows. The front of the line Pass is great. You get to meet the actors after the show to ask questions, plus the tell you how alot of the stunts are done. Plus the will hold seats at the best shows, so you don't waste time waiting for the shows to start. We went in Nov of 2003, and at one show we walked in right as it started and got Great seats. I would do it again.

9. JKJK

JKJK Disney Mom

We went last year and I thought it was a waste of money. I hadnt been for about 19 years. I have a 15 year old daughter who is way into drama and a 13 year old daughter. The older one felt like I did; that it was kinda cheesy. The younger one thought it was ok. My husband was sick that day so my mom came in his place. She thought it was a rip off.......and she didnt even pay for her own ticket! Im really into film locations so I took the girls on my own tour of Hollywood and famous locals. We spent an entire day driving around while I showed them all kinds of cool places. We ate at the Tail O the Pup, went to the Chinese Theater, I took them to the house that was used in the movie E.T., the house from the movie Father of the Bride, showed them a couple of the studios, ect. This year we, we are going to a whole new set of actual film locations and possibly a film museum in Hollywood. My kids told me last year that my tour blew the doors off the one at Universal. Thats when I knew I was cool mom for a day!

This is just my opinion.

10. mommy2mrb

mommy2mrb Mama to a Princess - But I'm A Scrap Princess!

I wouldn't recommend it especially if you have small children, not a lot of rides, the music is blasted throughout the whole park and City Walk. I suggest going to Knotts Berry Farm instead, has great coasters and a whole area for small children, is cheaper, very easy to do in a few hours amd is only about 20-30 minutes from DL where Universal is at least an hour or more depending on traffic.

11. Lollipop's Mom

Well we have FREE passes! So I guess it is worth it. We are spending 2 days in Hollywood at the end of the trip - so I am going to go on a Friday and spend the day, then we can have dinner at citywalk. My daughter is 8, but a very mature 8 (is more 12/13 in how she thinks/acts), and this place is probably right up her alley.
    One question - what are the rides we want to have ponchos on for? I know that its going to be cool in January and I am not into getting wet and cold! I figure the Jurrassic Park ride is one. What about the waterworld show? Isn't there some sort of Jaws thing that sprays water too? Thanks.

12. almostGoofy

almostGoofy Mouseketeer

You don't have to worry about the Waterworld show. It's in a big stadium so you can certainly avoid any water by sitting up in the middle or higher. You may not even get wet down at the bottom but I don't quite recall. As for Jaws: there might be a little splash but not much of one. I wouldn't worry about getting wet with Jaws; besides, that happens during the tram tour. I don't think you really want to wear a poncho throughout the entire tram tour anyway.

13. iceskatejen

For Waterworld, there are specific marked "soak zone" seats. Just stay away from those and you'll be fine. I agree that the spray from Jaws isn't worthy of a poncho. I would recommend the poncho for Jurassic Park, though.

14. Lollipop's Mom

Thanks for the replies! I will pack the ponchos for Jurrassic!

15. SillySymphony4me

SillySymphony4me Earning My Ears

Backdraft hasn't closed has it? If not, my kids and I spent a couple hours going from soaked on Jurassic to dried out by Backdraft many times in a row!

(1st post - just found the board, learning loads!)

Lisa

16. iceskatejen

Yep--Backdraft is still there.

17. vjc715

vjc715 Mouseketeer

If you have never been...I suggest going. I like it better than Six Flags :cool1:

18. missmulan

missmulan DIS Veteran

There are techs that can lower or raise the water pressure on the JP ride depending on the weather out there. They don't want people to get too soaked on those cooler days but a poncho would be great to wear.
    USH is a really "behind-the-scenes" working studio theme park. Not too many 'repeatable' rides. Most of their attractions are the 'seen-it-once, done-it-once, no need to do it again' type attractions.

Soooooo.....if you haven't done it before, then it might be interesting. As long as you don't have high expectations, then you'll have a good time.

19. lap3

lap3 DIS Veteran

I heard on the radio and found on their website that Universal Studios is offering a buy 1 day ticket this year and get the rest of 2004 AND all of 2005 for free! Of course, blackout dates will apply. For further details, click here. Enjoy!

Edit: Here are the actual blackout dates:
    Nov '04 26, 27
    Dec '04 26 - 31
    Jan - June '05 No Black-out dates!
    July '05 2-5, 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, 24, 30, 31
    Aug '05 6, 7, 13, 14, 20, 21, 27, 28
    Sept '05 3, 4, 5
    Oct '05 No Black-out dates!
    Nov '05 25, 26
    Dec '05 26 - 31