Universal for under a $1000, it can be done.

Discussion in 'Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums' started by kimmyann, Feb 15, 2013.

1. kimmyann

kimmyann DIS Veteran

Just wanted to give hope that a trip can be done on the cheap. I've got ours planned for a family of four for under $1000 for four nights & three days.:banana:

First night- cheapo hotel (Rodeway Inn Maingate) just for sleep since we won't be getting there until evening after a 12 hour drive. $28 with tax.

Second night- Onsite at RPR just so we get the perks. $286 + $18 parking = $304 with tax

Third & Fourth night- Country Inn & Suites Calypso $45 a night + resort fee = $132 with tax (it's a whopping $30 resort fee, but it's still the cheapest I could find for a one bedroom suite)

Two day tickets to Universal from Undercover Tourist $511 with tax

Grand Total: $975

Now we will be doing Universal for two days & our third day we will go to Sea World (we have season passes), But I think I did pretty good to be able to stay onsite for a night. We don't mind switching hotels. Plus, I'm aware this does not include food & gas. I can't wait until May:cheer2:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. damo

damo Proud Redhead

Sounds wonderful!!!! That one day at RPR giving you two full days of perks will really make a difference!!!

4. kimmyann

kimmyann DIS Veteran

The perks are the only reason we are staying onsite. I'm always trying to score a deal on trips (I think I enjoy it as much as the vacay itself), so when I booked RPR, I almost cried at the price. But it worked out. I figure to leave the cheopo hotel at 6:30 to check in at RPR & be ready for Harry Potter early entry by 8:00. Hopefully we will be able to wrap up the park pretty early so we can enjoy the resort that evening. Second day is for Studios.

5. davedmaine

davedmaine DIS Veteran

Smart planning.. Nice job..

6. buckeev

buckeev RedNeck Mouseketeer

Sounds like a plan!
    What date are y'all staying at that Rodeway. My date is coming up more.
    I'm still "fine tuning" our trip details to save some $ and maximize the available entertainment time to squeeze into a 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 day period.

7. damo

damo Proud Redhead

If you are looking for some good deals for food, try the volcano nachos at Margaritaville. They are absolutely humongous and cheap---great for sharing!!! Also, Sal's Pizza at PBH is cheap and excellent.

8. kimmyann

kimmyann DIS Veteran

Thanks!
    We will be at Rodeway on 5/11, RPR 5/12 & Country Inn 5/13 & 14.
    Thanks, I've always wanted to eat at Margaritaville, I need to check out their menu. I also have AAA so maybe I can get discounts on food? Are reservations a must or can you just wing it that time of year? Good pizza is always good, which I'm planning on pizza the first night so we can just eat it for breakfast too on the way to RPR for early check in.

9. TheAviator

TheAviator <font color=blue>I don't always live dangerously,

I hear ya, but I always spend about double that on just food, gas, drinks, seems it was nothing to blow 100 a day on food, of course I like to eat at the nice places

10. ky07

ky07 <font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=teal>

Your drive sounds like ours cause we will be going in June and we have a almost 13 hour drive ahead of us

11. damo

damo Proud Redhead

As long as you are in a slow time, you can wing it. Remember to show your room key...it will get you preferred seating, ahead of the normal wait list.

12. indimom

indimom Are We There Yet?

We found a way as well!
    We are using rewards from Amex to cover two nights onsite at RPR. :banana:
    Three day tickets for the 4 of us were $600. :yay:

We are sooo excited to be going back and can't wait.
    You will LOVE the on-site perks! They're priceless! We felt a "little" guilty going through the Express lane over and over again on MIB while bypassing the same people in the standby line, but... we got over that pretty quick. It was just awesome to be able to repeat our faves an unlimited number of times!!!

13. gordigor

gordigor Earning My Ears

I always feel bad seeing those people walk from hotels on IDrive to Universal Blvd.

14. ky07

ky07 <font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=teal>

I was one of those people lol
    But not this year cause we will be at our favorite onsite hotel the RPR

15. cbsnyber1

cbsnyber1 Baxter the zzzzzzz Corgi Wonderdog

Agree absolutely on the VNs - just don't down four margaritas with them or your value meal just went out the window.