Unfriendly Skies for Family

Reading these posts I do not see where it would be worth the possible problems to fly. This would be our first family vacation like this and first time flying

Parents getting seperated from their kids is not the norm. It is not like it happens on every flight, or even every other flight. I wouldn't let it the possibility of it keep you from flying.

It is advisable to keep an eye on your flights after you have purchased tickets. Times can change, and the type of plane can change. If you check on your flights every few days you will notice if either things happen, and then take care of any problems that may pop up.

Jaymie said:
I can't help but wonder why airlines allow to assign seats in advance, if the chances of losing those seats are so high.
Nobody said the chances are high - but they exist, and it makes more sense to make as many people as possible aware of the possibility.

bdhore said:
Just because the airlines have a rule, doesn't mean it's right.
The rule is right as far as the business owner is concerned. It's not even a rule, it's merely fact - your plane ticket guarantees you only passage from point A to point B on a given day (and even then, only if events beyond the airline's control do not intervene). Seat, time, equipment, route, stops - all these and more are subject to change.

No need to worry about my kids, they live perfectly full and happy lives. They learn plenty from teachers, coaches and friends in their lives.
Getting away from the specific topic, but any one of these people is more likely to assault a child than a stranger on a plane.

And, these people aren't strangers. What would your life be like if you never spoke to strangers? That would have to include store clerks, telephone operators, police officers, flight attendants...

We are planning a trip for August 2010. At first my wife wanted nothing to do with flying. After quite a few hours it would be nicer to fly down to get there quicker and not be stuck in the car with 3 ids(10,7,5) itwould be worth it.

Reading these posts I do not see where it would be worth the possible problems to fly. This would be our first family vacation like this and first time flying

Message boards like this can be a wonderful tool to learn so many things. It can also scare the heck out of new travelers. My kids are 10 and 13 and have been on 6-10 flights in their young lives. We have NEVER been separated from them. I am very diligent at watching my flights and making sure we are at the gate in plenty of time.

The key here is to be educated on what to do if an issue arises. Too many people go into things blindly and when something doesn't go as planned they come on the DIS and bash the airline.

The airline industry moves millions of people all over the world. 99.9% of it void of any drama. The DIS and other message boards would make it sound like there is drama on every flight.

To me, flying is a very enjoyable, fun experience that everyone should try. I have flown since I have been a kid, heck I flew to Japan at age 10 and Europe at 13, 15, and 17, so I have had to sit on very long flights. I still think it is fun.

Best bet is to be informed and enjoy the ride.

Travel safe.

Duds

Speaking of seat assignments.... I am booked in first class in April. I have 1 flight on a smaller plane that doesn't have first class, but I do have a seating assignment. I checked my seats today and had been moved. I was moved up 2 rows and my seat was given to someone else! No biggie, but it can happen. By the way, the plane is basically empty, so it is kind of weird that I was moved.

My thought... oh well, not much I can do about it.....

Duds

How sad for your children. They are missing out on a wide world out there of people with wonderful experiences and stories to share. My kids talk to everyone always have and they have learned some very varied facts and trivia that I would never have been able to tell them. At airshows my DS has talked to WWII vets and pilots and now knows things that aren't written in books and luckily will have a young person to retell as these vets pass away. My DD has learned facts about shells from University professors who also happen to be collecting shells at the Jersey shore. They have learned about customs and foods from visitors from other countries as we ride the monorail or wait in the terminal. Or sit next to on the plane! The list goes on and on.

Our rule has always been and will always be Talk to who ever you want to BUT go no where with anyone!

Thank you!! I was so shocked and saddened by that poster too.

A question for the parents - and I don't mean our regular parent posters but the ones posting on this thread who don't regularly post here...

If you did find yourselves seperated from your children on a flight, and couldn't get seats together, would you deplane and take a later flight potentially at your own cost to ensure seats together?

I definately would deplane if either my wife or I could not sit along side of our kids. We would not have to all be together but 1 of us with two of the kids and the other with our Autistic son to keep him calm. I am sure this will be something different and strange for him. My kids safety and happiness is more important than an airline employee not asking some one to move because they made some kind of mistake.

Thank you for answering - you are one of very few who has said 'yes' to that question over the years. I myself have deplaned or changed flights many times at my own cost if I cannot get a seat which 'works' for me.

Now, another question for parents, especially those concerned about being seated next to their child. Would you change seats and sit away from your child so that another parent could sit next to theirs? Would you move away from you child so that Jaymie or bghore or any other poster could sit next to their child, while you sat apart from yours?

If you reserve a seat that "works" for you and that seat is not available when you board, then you should upon your request be flown on a different flight for no additional fare or fees.

Yes, persons with temporary handicaps such as a broken leg have been able to get temporary handicapped stickers for their cars. Airlines may have special qualifying procedures you need to follow in advance.

This last point is debatable but IMHO getting the person from point A to point B includes doing so in a proper and decent manner including without significant physical discomfort.

If you reserve a seat that "works" for you and that seat is not available when you board, then you should upon your request be flown on a different flight for no additional fare or fees.

Maybe in an ideal world (and that is debatable), but not in the world we actually live in. You are NOT guaranteed any given seat on the plane. The most you can expect is to get credited for anything you may have paid to select your seat (i.e. over and above what you paid for your ticket).

Air Canada actually clearly seats this during seat selection (on the very few fare classes where seat selection is an additional fee), I'm not sure about other airlines.

We would not have to all be together but 1 of us with two of the kids and the other with our Autistic son to keep him calm. I am sure this will be something different and strange for him. .

I just wanted to encourage you- sometimes these threads get a little crazy....and needlessly instill fear in a newbie like yourself- When you buy your tix,buy with seat assignments,and check periodically for any changes- if there are any,call and make it right for you right away, and when you get there,be there early,make sure you board on time or when you're allowed,and be nice. It does wonders for FA's and other passengers helping you out. I've never been on a flight where at least one of us wasn't with the kids. (usually me,my dh was happy to find another seat...:laughing:)
Get there early! wait at the gate- be polite, you will likely be just fine!
any minor hassles we encounter are small potatoes compared to 24 hours in a car driving down.....:scared1:

Really...the DRAMA on these pages.

I fly about 8-12 flight segments to various places every month, and have done so for the last 4 years. I have seen families need to have people move for them only a handful of times (3 or less), and have never seen people come to blows or have the major issues described here. Not saying it doesn't happen from time to time, but it is the EXCEPTION, not the rule. As a PP said...watch your flights, get checked in to your flight early/on time at least, work with the gate agent if necessary, board on time. And be nice!

jeez....

and yes, I'm back in coach...where I could see if these issues unfolded.

The fact that a news article got written about a child separated from her parents, goes to show how rare it is. If it was happening on every flight, no one would be writing an article about a single incident.

On the few occasions that I've seen parents still not sitting with their children after boarding, someone has always moved so at least one parent was with their child.

People are less likely to move when (for example) mom is already sitting next to their child, and dad is trying to also move into that row. People may move, it is less likely. Especially (as happened on my recent flight), the dad is asking the woman in the aisle seat of the bulkhead (lots of leg room) to move into the middle seat of the row behind. The woman said no (nicely) and the father was still sitting directly behind his wife and daughter (where he could speak to and touch them).

On the rare occasions that you lose your selected seats, I always suggest that people try to fix it before getting onto the plane (depends on when you figure it out).

I've posted this before, but my suggestions of the steps you can/should take:

1) If there is a flight/equipment change and there are no seats together, try calling the airline. Airlines hold back some seats and may be able to open up enough so that all children are beside one adult.

2) Keep checking - people cancel flights/change seats. For people in the "single seats", choose ones that other people may want so that you have good seats to trade (i.e. aisle seats near the front of the plane).

3) Do online check in at the 24 hour mark. The seats that are held back are now opened up plus some people may have been upgraded. You have a good chance of moving to seats that are together.

4) Get to the airport early and ask the check-in agent if there are together seats that you can move to (again, people may have moved/upgraded/canceled).

5) When you get to the gate, talk to the gate agent. Changes are still happening and they may be able to help you.

6) If all else fails and you get on the plane and you have all single seats, nicely ask people if they would mind trading (but know that they have every right to reject the request). You have much better odds if you are offering your "better" seat. For example, if one seat is in row 5 and the other seat is in row 32, you'll do much better asking the person beside you in row 32 to move up to row 5 (and you and your child sit in row 32) than the opposite.

7) If you are still separated, you can choose to deplane and take a later flight. Before considering this, make sure you know if there are still together seats available on a subsequent flight.

I have NEVER seen anyone get to step 7 (not saying it doesn't happen, I've just never seen it) and rarely step 6 (generally only on holiday flights with lots of families none of whom want to sit split up or even go one adult/one child one place and another adult/child somewhere else.

Wait a minute; I thought that every flight in DISworld is peppered with bad parents, evil single adults, nasty FAs, and the occasional pedophile. Certainly from reading here that seems to be the expectation.

It isn't the case in my parallel universe, yet reading here people seem to be so scared about these things, and seem to enjoy tossing out insults and barbs rather than listening to reason.

I will gently suggest that the likelihood of not getting seats together is increased on carriers which charge or credit for seats, like AirTrain, Spirit, Air Canada, etc if one chooses not to pay for seats. And the likelihood of having aircraft or seats increases when one books so far in advance, as many here seem to like to do. (edited to add also on airlines like United where much of the cabin is premium seating, resulting in fewer preassigned seats for those unwilling to pay for premium seating or without status)

The reason why so many of us try and explain things in a rational fashion is to help posters to understand why things happen, and what can happen, and how to best deal with it.

But when readers come charging in throwing out insults and calling names and threatening others, the drama tends to overshadow the fact and the reality.

Now, maybe everyone should just toss back the Koolaid and vodka that pr surfer is pushing on another thread... it may do everyone some good.

I fly about 8-12 flight segments to various places every month, and have done so for the last 4 years. I have seen families need to have people move for them only a handful of times (3 or less), and have never seen people come to blows or have the major issues described here. Not saying it doesn't happen from time to time, but it is the EXCEPTION, not the rule.

Agreed.

Except that I have NEVER seen such a situation. I don't fly nearly as much as some here do, but compared to many of my friends I've flown for a long time and relatively often, and while I have had my seat changed after choosing it, it was no biggie, and I've never seen people have a problematic situation where they were separated from their kids.

I have seen calm situations where someone wanted to move, and someone always was OK moving (I think I was a mover once), but those situations were long ago; I haven't seen one since before '05, at least.

As crash said, since it made the news, it's rare.

seashoreCM said:
Wrong. Again, all your ticket guarantees is passage from point A to point B on a given date, and even that can be affected by conditions beyond the airline's control. EVERYTHING else is merely a request.
seashoreCM said:
Yes, persons with temporary handicaps such as a broken leg have been able to get temporary handicapped stickers for their cars. Airlines may have special qualifying procedures you need to follow in advance.

This last point is debatable but IMHO getting the person from point A to point B includes doing so in a proper and decent manner including without significant physical discomfort.
Airlines do have special procedures for disabled or otherwise physically-in-need passengers - they assign bulkhead seating only on the day of the flight, at the airport. To state anything about handicap placards (not stickers, as a sticker has NO legal standing) is merely a red herring.

But all this doesn't apply. Adults separated from children due to seating issues is not a physical discomfort issue, so your entire point is moot.

hsmamato2 said:
I just wanted to encourage you- sometimes these threads get a little crazy....and needlessly instill fear in a newbie like yourself-
In fairness, it's articles like the one that started this thread - very, very, very, extremely, ultra-unique exceptional experiences - that tend more to needlessly instill fear in potential and inexperienced airline passengers :teeth:

A question for the parents - and I don't mean our regular parent posters but the ones posting on this thread who don't regularly post here...

If you did find yourselves seperated from your children on a flight, and couldn't get seats together, would you deplane and take a later flight potentially at your own cost to ensure seats together?

Hey Bavaria! :wave:

Of course, I'd deplane! But only 1 of us has to sit with our children. The other gets the vacation! ;)

A few years ago, somehow my (only at the time) dd's ticket didn't get scanned on the flight down (though she was on it). We discovered doing online check in the night before the flight home that she was dropped from the return flight (naturally). Continental immediately rebooked her, but on a separate reservation. She was silver status (moved from lap during the year), while I was gold, and my husband was platinum. You know what happened. He and I got upgraded, my dd did not. :lmao:

So, we waited and waited and waited in our (former) coach seats with our daughter who still had the 3rd seat. Waiting for the new occupants of 11 B & C. They were the last people to board the plane. It turned out to be a young couple, college age, possibly brother and sister. I told them we'd like to switch seats with them. "Ours are 2A & B." They actually hesitated. I said brightly, "Or, you can sit here with our daughter for the flight. She's traveled over 25,000 miles last year, so she does know what she's doing and shouldn't be a problem." They looked at our 3 yr old in the window seat and grabbed the tickets and ran to our seats before we could change our minds!

Now, if they had insisted upon keeping their seats, I'd have told the flight attendant we were deplaning and we'd have dealt with the consequences from there. I don't think every other passenger on board had to deal with this. It was a freak situation and deplaning is an obvious choice. There's always another flight :goodvibes (unless the airline is going under in the next few hours).

nono said:
Now, if they had insisted upon keeping their seats, I'd have told the flight attendant we were deplaning and we'd have dealt with the consequences from there.
Truly, I don't see why. If they had declined the offer/request to change seats, why would you not have moved up to the front seats with your daughter and let your husband stay in row 11?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter