Unemployment question

You might want to check to see if DD can get SSDI - depending on what is wrong with her then she will have Medcaid

I looked into it. She doesn't qualify for Medicaid because in IL, it's based on parental income and assets. We can only have one vehicle so we'd have to sell one of ours plus DH cosigned for DD's car. There was also something about DH's 401K needed to be spent down first.

Also, if your daughter is under 18, private insurance companies can no longer deny her insurance. If I am correct about when it went into effect (I think Sept. last year) Under the new Health insurance reform, private companies can no longer deny children under 18 coverage because of pre-existing. Unfortunately, that isn't the case for everyone yet but if your daughter is under 18 she would benefit from that. They will still probably jack up the premiums (In California, with any of the companies that would actually insure me, I was quoted about 2-3 times the "regular" premiums...so a $150 plan would be between $300-$450/month) but it should be cheaper than cobra.

However, make sure she is on anyways cobra because I think they can still pull the whole if not insured fro the past 6 months crap where they wont cover for a certain amount of time if not insured for the past 6 months.

I'm going to do some checking for private. The problem is that we use our insurance quite a bit. I looked into Kid Care (the state program for children). It sounds good but none of her doctors will take it because they are not getting paid by the state. :headache:

I trying to stay positive but trying to plan just in case.

Thanks again everyone!

That is nice that some states have UI benefits direct deposited. I wish Ca. did. I have no idea why they don't.

Currently collecting $341 per week since Sept 2010. CA EDD was to offer direct deposit starting in Dec 2010. But, there is a glitch in the system. :confused3
It would be sooo much easier since I NOW live in TX.

Don't forget, you still owe taxes on unemployment income, I believe in IL you can choose to either have taxes withheld or take the full amount and pay taxes when you file your return. If you suspect you'll be on UI for an extended amount of time, you should have them take the taxes out, so you don't owe a big $$$ next April at a time when you really can't afford it.

No, $2200 can't be right. I'm collecting $388 per week right now with a working spouse and no dependant children.

Starting a new job soon and very happy that I only collected for a few weeks. Hope he finds something quickly!

The $2,200 is per month, not week. Sorry it wasn't clear.

It looks like DH is going to loose his job after 27 years. The dealer was bought out and they will probably close the Lincoln store. Anyone know what the max benefits are in Il? Our DD is disabled so we need to keep the insurance. COBRA is almost $900!

Wow! 27 years?? That must have come as a huge blow..:(

No advice, but I hope you're able to find some sort of help with the medical insurance.. Hang in there..:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter