underwater cameras

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by days-going-so-slow!!, Feb 20, 2004.

1. days-going-so-slow!!

days-going-so-slow!! Mouseketeer

Can anyone who has used an underwater camera at Castaway Cay PLEASE tell me which is best. I am buying the film this weekend and I want to make sure we get great underwater pictures while snorkling etc. Thanks!!!! Kelley:crazy:

2. minniemouse1

minniemouse1 Member of the Grand Slam Club!

We used a Kodack max and the pictures turned out well. The quality of the pictures depends on how close you are to your subject and also if it is a sunny day. Our best pictures were on a day when there wasn't a cloud in the sky and we weren't too deep in the water. WE have also used fuji before and had success but they are a little pickier with need for more sunlight IMO. Good luck and have fun!

3. karebear1

karebear1 <font color=purple>BL II - Purple Team<br><font co

I was just gonna ask the same question. May I add one more? Where is the best place to buy these? Is there an online site that would have the best price?

4. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. DMS_cruisers04

DMS_cruisers04 S@H DAD

minnie's right, the disposables work best on sunny days and you get the best colors with closer shots.

karebear1 - Sam's, Walmart, Target, Meijer, K-Mart. Not sure about online. The last one we got for DD to use was from Walmart.
    Just a thought, we've got a Canon 35mm Underwater camera also. And the pictures don't turn out any better if the conditions aren't right.

6. prymsu

prymsu <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

I have always had good luck with the Fuji disposable underwater cameras, and you can get those at walmart for around 7.50 for 27 exposure.

7. jrabbit

jrabbit DIS Veteran

Many months ago there was a thread on this subject. Several people had purchased underwater cameras that were NOT disposable and had a flash. They even posted some of the pic's and they were fantastic!! I have given up on trying to take pic's underwater - none have come out very good. I have used Fuji and Kodak and the results are similar. I will take one of these cameras on our next cruise for pictures while at the beach and playing in the water - because I don't want to hurt my "real" camera.

8. balbrec

balbrec Earning My Ears

something to consider.kodak film emphasizes greens and blues
    while fuji tends to emphasize the reds . so if your goingto do underwater the pictures will be more true to life with kodak. on the other hand if your are shooting fall foliage then fuji is better

balbrec:cool:

9. LindaBabe

LindaBabe DIS Veteran

Balbrec, I thought it was just the opposite? Fuji for the blues and greens? Where can we check for sure?

10. karebear1

karebear1 <font color=purple>BL II - Purple Team<br><font co

I just read it on a search I did- it is Fuji for greens and blues.

11. dzneprincess

dzneprincess This page intentionally left blank

12. prymsu

i have to say, i have used both kodak and fugi, and i won't go back to kodak again. The colors of blue and green are much better with the fugi cameras, and i have snorkeled all over and had very good results. Just my two cents...

13. slabeaume

slabeaume Mouseketeer

You don't have to go down too far before color disappears in water (about 5-10 feet). If you have an underwater camera with a flash, the flash will bring back the color. If you use the disposable cameras, shallow pictures will turn out great in clear water. I've used both and only notice a difference below about 5 feet.

Sue L

14. NYDisneyMom

NYDisneyMom I need to have a vacation planned at all times...

15. dzneprincess

Is it? I thought it was reusable, and that it just came preloaded with 35mm film? Darn

16. mobetsy

mobetsy <font color=FF0066>I tend to be just a teeny bit o

We have the flash one from Target that is re-useable...I think it was $20 including a roll of film. I was happy with the results we got from it on vacation last summer, although we didn't put it to any great tests; however, the underwater pics were clear and the flash seemed to add a little illumination. Besides underwater use, the advantage is that for relatively few $, you have a camera that is protected from splashes and sand around water, and can almost certainly be used more times than the comparable cost in disposables (don't the underwater ones run about $10?). We are keeping ours in a ziploc bag, because if the plastic case gets scratched in front of the lens, that blurring will always show up on your photos. For casual photographers on a wet vacation, this seems like a good choice!

17. dzneprincess

18. balbrec

balbrec Earning My Ears

hey what do i know. use both and decide for yourself which is better for the different colors

balbrec:smooth:

19. musicgirl

musicgirl <font color=coral>Pooh lover<br><font color=teal>M

We will be using a digital in an underwater box. The box was about $40. We've tried it at the pool and are anxious to see how it does on the cruise.

20. prymsu

I have tried using a camera that wasn't disposable for taking underwater photos. I personally don't like them, as you have to get out of the water to change the film, and i don't like that when i am far out snorkeling...

21. dzneprincess

Where can you buy one of these?