Unbelievable... Passport proccessing

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by mickeyschickie, Dec 22, 2012.

1. mellyp

mellyp Mouseketeer

Last year we go it in 1 weeks too with the regular service.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

You always have to have new pictures.

If your BCs don't have parent names or the official seal or stamp that shows they are certified, they aren't currently valid BCs. And you need the official ones to board the ship with, as far as I know.

You are going to have to order a new certified BC from the registrar of the county in which you were born. ASAP, too. Just use that (assuming you are on a closed loop itinerary) to board the ship; I think you would be pushing your luck to assume you can get the BCs and then the passport that quick.

ETA...even though your current certified BC doesn't have parent names, all states have now changed format to include them, as far as I know. remember all the kerfluffle about a certain state changing from long to short format, and how a certain important someone had people wanting to see the "long form" and all that? That's because states can, and do, change format of their BCs. NOW a legal certified BC *has to have* the spot for parents' names. If it doesn't, it's not legal. Now I don't know about getting on the ship with it (call Disney Cruise, I would suggest), but to get that passport you HAVE TO HAVE the LEGAL birth certificate. What you have now is not going to get you a passport, if you're explaining it and I'm understanding it thoroughly.

4. Plaid Princess

Plaid Princess Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Wow! Amazing! :thumbsup2

5. tryin

tryin Mouseketeer

Ugh! Thanks Bumbershoot so much for this information. I have always had this birth certificate since infancy so never knew that I needed an updated version. I will try with what I have and if not, I'll order a new copy. At least, my children will be able to get their passports. Since my appt is the day after Christmas, there is no way I'll be able to do anything before then.

Okay, I just read this:
    Secondary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

If you cannot present primary evidence of U.S. citizenship, you must submit secondary evidence of U.S. citizenship. Determine what form of secondary evidence is most appropriate for your situation based on the descriptions below.

Early Public Records

If you were born in the United States and cannot present primary evidence of U.S. citizenship, submit a combination of early public records as evidence of your U.S. citizenship. Early public records must be submitted with a birth record or Letter of No Record. Early public records should show your name, date of birth, place of birth, and preferably be created within the first five years of your life. Examples of early public records are:
    Baptismal certificate
    Hospital birth certificate
    Census record
    Early school record
    Family bible record
    Doctor's record of post-natal care
    Early Public Records are not acceptable when presented alone.

So, do you think my two documents, one "official" bc with raised seal, but no parent names AND the hospital birth certificate which does include both names will be acceptable for the passport application? Will it make the process longer? I guess I can apply for the long form while I wait for the Passport (if they will accept my two documents) and if nothing else, I'll have the long form birth certificate for travel.

I LOVE disboards! I would have been soooo upset if they wouldn't let me travel because I don't have an updated bc. I'm going to give DCL a call too. I'll know in the next couple of days whether or not, I'll be allowed to apply for the passport. The state vital records website says that the original bc IS still valid. But maybe it is not valid for international travel. They do offer expedited service online so I'll be using that. To make matters worse, I'm far away from my birthplace so I cannot go in person. It says it takes about 22 days. I have 50 days for travel.

Wow, OP, thanks so much for this thread. I never would have known this info.

6. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

If it's the original one you had, and if it doesn't have both parents' names, I am not sure that's going to work. I would wonder what the wording of your state website is.

I hope yours is valid, I really do. But I hope you go to that appointment with the expectation that it's not going to work, so you can either feel ecstatic if it works, or just "yeah, thought that would happen" if it doesn't, rather than be disappointed.

It's amazing you still have the first certified copy! I'm on my 3rd. The ones they give in San Francisco County are printed on rather flimsy paper, it seems!

I would probably call the registrar's office in the county of your birth to *talk* with them about what's a legal BC nowadays. If your passport appointment is later in the day, at least you would know. And it might be long form that they are doing now, or maybe short...or maybe just different.

I have NO idea if that secondary ID thing will work. I've only ever thought of it in terms of people who are 95, born in rural Montana on a farm, married young, never divorced, and just never had the need for a more modern b.certificate. After all, things have changed a LOT since 9/11.

Side note, it's amazing how different each state's BCs are. When I saw my husband's WA birth cert I thought it was a fake. Given his family, I wouldn't have been surprised that they would give him a fake (for instance, they kept his BC, refusing to let him have it, until he was around 29, which felt like a red flag to me, LOL). Then we had DS, and his WA b.cert. is just the same as DH's. They just look fake fake fake to me. My CA b.cert. looks real, LOL. Mine looks business-like, and theirs look like someone just typed on a pretty piece of paper. It's so weird. And then I have a raised seal, but WA uses a multicolor swirly stamp.

7. tryin

tryin Mouseketeer

By valid, I meant that it was "real", but I'm certain that doesn't matter when applying for a passport. Rules are rules and all that. I am sure that I could still use it for other things, that's what I took the valid thing to mean. After all, it is still the certificate provided at the time of my birth, signed and sealed. I never thought it would matter that my parents' name wasn't on there. It has never come into play and I never had any desire to leave this country for any reason. Upon further research, it seems, many people from my home state have run into this problem. I will update tomorrow.

OP-I did not mean to high jack your thread!