Ugh - Marathon help!

Discussion in 'Events/Competition' started by Cruz91, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Cruz91

Cruz91 Always at Disney in my mind...

So I procrastinated way too long and both the half and full are sold out. Do I have any other options to get in the race? I don't know if some groups/places have a travel package I may be able to do that includes admission to a race... Crap! Please help!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cewait

cewait DIS Veteran

Go to runDisney's website. There are a list of tour operators and charities who you can contact to see if openings still exist/

4. Cruz91

I checked the sponsors, all appear to be sold out. What happened this year? I didn't sign up last year till November or December?!?!

5. DisneyRunnerGirl

DisneyRunnerGirl If you see me sitting in a rocking chair, it's bec

I think the 20th anniversary for the full kicked registrations into overdrive - as I read these boards I can see that there seem to be a number of people (me included) who are trying a full for the first time with the inducement of anniversary medal.

6. cewait

cewait DIS Veteran

They actually filled closer to the normal time this year.

I am not a proponent of bending race rules but the remaining alternative would be through Mr Craig or Ms Bay

7. Cruz91

Love your ciruitive routing, cewait... I think maybe no need. I did find a travel partner with availability. Just have to book 3 nights with them at a rate slightly higher than what I'd pay with my AP discount, but they're not killing me too bad on the markup of the full marathon entry. :-)

8. Weluvdisny

Weluvdisny <font color=red>I'm alot calmer than I thought I w

Does anyone know if WDW has a waitlist for the 1/2 Marathon?

9. twalton

twalton Mouseketeer

You could still get in through the Runners World Challenge. Granted, it's pricey, starting at $450, but includes a bunch of stuff besides a spot In the race - Pasta in the Park ticket, entrance to the runners retreat, private packet pick-up (whatever that is), training plans, a book and t-shirt, etc. I'm thinking about doing it, depending on how finances look in mid-November...

10. princessallegra

princessallegra They call me Mrs. Disney

Wow that's seriously awesome! I'm more scared by the 26.2 than the price tag! Thanks for the info!

11. cobbler

cobbler <br><font color=blue>Tag #1: (Under Construction:

I've heard via twitter that the Runners World challenge is sold out as well.

12. rocio

rocio DIS Veteran

Is Marathon Tours out too? That's who my friend used.

13. mking624

mking624 DIS Veteran

I just checked their website and they are indeed sold out. Both the full and the half are sold out as of October 11th. The Goofy was sold out as of September 20th.

14. mking624

mking624 DIS Veteran

It is. Right on the Runners World Challenge page, it lists the full, half, and Goofy as being sold out.

15. DisMar2011

DisMar2011 Earning My Ears

I missed out on signing up for the marathon via MarathonTours by a few hours. If anyone finds any other sign up opportunities- I'd love to hear about them! (Looked into charity options, but not a big fundraiser and it's a big chunk of $$'s). Still training like I'm going to run... Thanks!

16. jmasgat

jmasgat DIS Veteran

I know of one travel company that has still spots for the 1/2 marathon. One of the agents is a WISHer.

Won't pass the DIS filter,so PM me if you want the name.

Maura

17. DisMar2011

Thanks Maura! It's marathon or bust for me. MarathonTours is still saying the "may" get some additional entries.

18. Cruz91

Marathon Tours is the one I ended up going through. Guess I made it in just under the wire. I hope everyone who wants in can find a way! Happy training! Today is 15 miles for me... It's raining and horribly windy, though, so looks like I'm on the mill for a long time this morning!

19. DisMar2011

Arrghh! You're the one who got my spot! jk.

Hope you had a good 15 miler! Still crossing my fingers for an entry. Running 14 miles tomorrow on hope!

20. Cruz91

I got in about 3 weeks or so ago (Oct 9).

21. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein DIS Veteran

Just out of curiosity, how much did Marathon Tours end up charging? More than the minimum fundraising requirement of a charity? I am guessing that they made you buy a package that included the room, etc.? I just ask because I wonder if they are a lot more affordable for the WDW Marathon as opposed to the London Marathon where it is incredibly pricey to participate in a race that your only option is a tour package with them.