UG mentions new country for EPCOT

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by WickedWench, Mar 18, 2007.

1. WickedWench

WickedWench Ruthless Pirate turned Polynesian Princess

I was reading the Unofficial Guide to WDW today, and in the World Showcase section they had a 'peek behind the scenes with Jim Hill' that said Disney is in negotions to create a new country that would include a new thrill ride for Epcot and an interactive area designed for 17-24 year olds. Supposedly this country is in Asia. Anyone know anything more about this rumor?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Uncleromulus

Uncleromulus <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

That would be nice--but "new country at Epcot" rumors have been around for years.

4. DisneyGirl4188

DisneyGirl4188 <font color=purple>Mike's Princess<br><font color=

It seems odd that they would do another asian country. The already have China and Japan, plus in AK they have Asia.

5. Disneybag

Disneybag The suits won't allow it.

I'd find Spain or Australia more believable.

6. doconeill

doconeill Fastpass Jedi Master DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Russia has long been rumored...I think I remember that they couldn't get any backing from the country though, so it fell through.

Africa as a whole also had been planned, but that kind of went to AK when it was built.

Just thinking off the top of my head of "cultural" centers that are not represented currently:

Russia
    Spain
    India
    Brazil (or other South American representation)
    Greece
    Southeast Asia (perhaps Thailand? Vietnam?)
    Carribean

Of those, I'm not sure if you could unify "Carribean" or "Southeast Asia" as a single entity, so some particular country may need to be the representative.

Thinking in terms of foodstuffs, I think India or Greece might be good popular choices. I'm also partial to Thai food.

Brazil certainly has its share of visitors - it seemed like half of all visitors last July were teens from Brazil... :)

7. Wick

Wick DIS Veteran

If it is indeed in Asia, my guess would be India. It has a rich cultural history, it is both unique and flashy in style, its got one of the fastest growing economies and developing industries in the world... Also would make sense due to Disneys recent introduction to the Indian markets.

8. thefirebuilds

thefirebuilds Mouseketeer

9. LisaS

LisaS DIS Veteran

I agree! Every time we go to Epcot, my DH mentions that Epcot needs to add India to the WS. It's primarily because he would love to see a good Indian restaurant in Epcot, but we're also interested in the culture.

10. Another Voice

Another Voice Charter Member of The Element

Actually Disney is in constant talks with any company about sponsorships. There's nothing really new here. Disney is trying to expand into India via television and some extremly limited retail. So far I haven't heard of Disney being able to partner up with any large Indian company, one that would be willing to sponsor a pavilion.

Disney was also in talks with Singapore about opening up a Regional Entertainmnet Center in the city-state. It's the multi-story glass pavilion shown in the annual report that everyone was buzzing on for a while. That project has fallen apart, but Singapore is very active in the tourism industry.

11. tomandrobin

tomandrobin DIS Veteran

I would love to see Brazil too!

India

South Pacific Region

Australia

Russia

African Country, not from the north, already have Morraco

12. doombuggy

doombuggy DIS Veteran

The Unofficial Guide is not one of my favorites, but let's hope that another country is coming someday - I would love to see an India pavilion!

And I can't beleive you are from Kingston! My cousin lives on Pierce and her parents on Westmoreland! My other uncle lives by the armory!

13. WickedWench

WickedWench Ruthless Pirate turned Polynesian Princess

Normally, I wouldn't give it much thought, but it was in a blurb by Jim Hill, and I thought he was a good source? Not so sure. The blurb did mention that the country was rumored to be in Asia with a thrill-ride based on that country's mythology. Sounds like India to me, but who knows?

That's cool! It's a small world after all! :thumbsup2

14. dkostel

dkostel DIS Veteran

I'd love a great Indian or Greek restaurant - um I mean thrill ride.:thumbsup2

15. TheRustyScupper

TheRustyScupper Good Sailing Master. Average Banjo Picker.

1) I could see how India would be a good fit.
    2) The food could be lively and the scenery novel.
    3) They could even do computer programming and phone calling from there.

16. tomandrobin

tomandrobin DIS Veteran

LOL.....

I thought I had read that China and India were target counties for expansion of Disney products, including parks?

17. Ron from Michigan

Ron from Michigan DIS Veteran

It would be nice, but I won't hold my breath waiting for this to happen. There have been rumours like this for years.

18. annie1995

annie1995 <font color=FF0066>I have not used mine outside th

Ohhhh, I would love to see Australia!

19. MJMcBride

MJMcBride Barely lost is barely found

The one thing about Australia is that it seems to be the favorite for an eventual land at DAK, maybe with the Nemo show as a jumping off point

20. wildviper

wildviper Mouseketeer

A thrill ride would be a welcome addition to Epcot.

21. raidermatt

raidermatt Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggressio

Like Mission Space? ;)