U8 Soccer

DopeyDame

DIS Veteran
Help! My husband and I have ended up being the soccer coaches for my son's team. (After four pleading emails from the commissioner saying that his age group desperately needed a coach.)
Sadly, I've never played soccer even once in my life, and the only soccer I've ever watched has been played by children no older than seven. So please - give me whatever advice, tips, and resources you have! If you've coached little kids before, what has been really helpful and useful? If you've been a parent, what did you like or dislike from the coach? If you know anything at all about soccer, what good resources are out there for learning skills?
(The league did give us two books and a DVD, so that's a start...)

Thanks!

What a great thing you guys are doing by stepping up for the kids!!
My ds plays soccer, but I don't know anything about coaching it LOL.
Does your club offer any training classes? If not maybe see if there are any offered in your area?

Definitely find out if your club offers any training classes. If not, is there a "select" (travel) team associated with your club? Can you reach out to their Director of Coaching for some tips (maybe suggest having a coaching seminar for rec coaches).

Random thoughts...
1) Come up with a plan for each practice. You can google "youth soccer drills" or "u8 soccer drills" for some examples.
2) See if you can get one of the other parents to coordinate snacks (if they do that for that age group) for after each game.
3) Make sure any running you have the kids do (I know some coaches have kids run the perimeter of the field for warm ups), they do with a ball at their feet.
4) Focus on foot skills (using the inside/outside and top/bottom of their cleats, NOT the toe). Spend just a little time on "strategy" (what's a goal kick, what's a corner, how to do a proper throw in).
5) Rotate the players through all positions (including GK if you use them). Yes, you'll probably have one stand out who is fast, great with the ball and can score all of your goals, but let them play at least 1/2 of a game on defense.
6) Try to teach the players to spread out. If a teammate has the ball, they should be "finding space" and getting open for a pass.

Good luck!

Help! My husband and I have ended up being the soccer coaches for my son's team. (After four pleading emails from the commissioner saying that his age group desperately needed a coach.)
Sadly, I've never played soccer even once in my life, and the only soccer I've ever watched has been played by children no older than seven. So please - give me whatever advice, tips, and resources you have! If you've coached little kids before, what has been really helpful and useful? If you've been a parent, what did you like or dislike from the coach? If you know anything at all about soccer, what good resources are out there for learning skills?

Thanks!

Thanks for stepping up!

The best coaches our kids had (from our perspective) were ones that communicated in a timely fashion with all the parents. Get good email and text lists. Let parents know when games or practices are changed in any way. Assign some additional duties on a rotational basis for the parents, such as setting up the field, bringing water, snacks, etc. Let all the kids play and have fun (your league may have rules on playing time), encourage them, just work on simple fundamentals in practice using fun activities as appropriate. Mostly, have fun!

Wanted to also add, make sure the players (and parents) know criticizing team mates will NOT be allowed. When my oldest was playing U8, she tried being goalie. When she let a couple goals in, one of her team mates started yelling at her.

I am an executive board member of a youth sports league (not soccer) in our community and was the assistant coach to the 7th/8th grade girls team until last week when a couple of my coaches bailed on me, so as of today I am the head coach for our 5-7 year old girls team. I've set up the practices/games so that I can still assist DD's 7th/8th team. I've been her coach since she was in 5th grade. DH is also on the board as director of coaching and player safety. We have tons of experience here.

I am actually really excited to have the little girls! After dealing with a sullen 12 year old middle schooler all summer, I can't wait to hang with my little k/1st buddies! They are so adorable and sweet!

• Advice: no matter what the sport or age, treat it seriously. Take the kids seriously. This doesn't mean to be the raving lunatic coach/parent who is just out for the win! It means treat every decision you make with care and concern about the development of the player and of the team, and of the league. Put the good of each child first - ask yourself, does my decision benefit the child and his/her development as a person and player, or does it benefit me/my kid/my record?
  • Make the game fun. They are 7-8 years old. It's unlikely any of them will go on to play professional soccer, so have fun with it! Teach the fundamentals by using games and activities that include the drills - don't just make them stand in a line waiting to take their turn. How boring!!
  • Take the stance that you have *NO* star player on your team - embrace this philosophy. No matter if one kid stands out or is the only one who can dribble to ball down. I am assuming this is a rec league, so if the superstar wants to be the superstar, he can go play travel. Every kid on a rec team is important! They are there to LEARN, not to be the star almighty!
  • Unless you get a whole group of amazing people, your biggest problem will be the parents. Establish the ground rules from day one. Set up the expectations you have of the kids, the team, and the parents' behavior. I strictly enforce a 24-hour "cooling off" period if parents are mad about something, and I require the player to be present because 99% of the time, the kid is either fine with something the parent is mad about, or the kid *is* the problem on the team and is lying to the parent about what has happened.
  • I also set the rules with the kids. On my teams, there are three rules:
  • 1. Be respectful of your team, your coach, and of yourself - No backtalking, no goofing off when you are supposed to be listening, no teasing, bragging, or putting anyone down. There is no such word as "Can't". Always say "OK, I'll try"
  • 2. Give 100% effort - I'm not looking for the girls to be the best and do everything perfect. I just expect them to try their hardest and give me 100% effort.
  • 3. Stay Positive - this means no complaining, no moaning/groaning, and no getting down on yourself or your teammates, win OR lose. Be a good sport. Celebrate the small victories and the big wins the same way.

At this age, keeping track of wins/losses is a touchy thing. Of course the kids know who won the game even if there isn't a score, and so do the parents! But really, as a coach, you'll learn that it isn't so black and white. Your kids may have played the game of their life when one little kick from the other team could send the ball flying into the net and the other team wins. That should NOT be the focus of your after-game talk! Stay positive and build upon the the skills that are being learned daily - don't put the emphasis on the W/L record.

Little story -
My husband coached a 8th grade "B" team football team last year. The kids had two weeks of evaluations before being "cut" from the Gold team and were sent over to DH with their heads down in shame. Our own kids were not even on this team - DS10 was in 4th grade and DS16 was in high school. DH was coaching to help this league out. He saw the dejection on these kids' faces and knew he had to do something. He told them to take a knee and the first thing he said was "Listen Up! WE - ALL of us - are second to NOBODY!" The kids' eyes lifted and he knew he had their attention. He continued "I din't care what the other coaches say. I don't care what our team name is called. I don't CARE that the guys over there are celebrating their "Gold" status and think they are better. I can't promise you wins, but I can promise you that I will teach you everything you need to know for high school football and I can promise that if you don't quit, if you stay and work hard, that Those Who Stay Will Be Champions!"

He stuck to that promise the whole season. These boys bought in and believed him and started to believe in themselves. They went 10-1 for the season, losing their only game by a late-game touchdown by the other team. They were in the 2nd round of the playoffs, and ended up losing the lead with less than a minute to go because of a freak fumble that the other team ran back for a touchdown. Our season was over, the winning team moved on to the Superbowl.

DH addressed the kids after the game. He told them that he never promised them wins, that he never promised a trip to the super bowl game. He said they would never be defined by one play in one game. He promised them that if they stayed, they would be Champions, and their play, their attitudes, their will to fight their way through the negativity and rejection of the first few weeks has not only made them Champions in his eyes, but in life where it is important. There was not a dry eye in the entire stadium. Even the coaches came from the other team and told the kids that they were worthy opponents and the coaches had followed our team all season and were very impressed by the boys and their teamwork.

In the end, these kids grew and learned and gained confidence. THAT is what youth sports are all about.

As for the "Gold" team, well, they went 1-8 for the season. No playoffs, no fun. The "daddy ball' mentality ruined the team - the coach's kids were playing the skilled positions when there were other better kids, the coaches were constantly yelling and making the kids run and do drills for punishment, and above all, they were TICKED that the Silver team was winning and they were not. Kids from that team saw their "Silver" team friends having fun, winning, happy...and parents were asking for their kids to move "down" to Silver to be with my husband.

These boys started high school this week. The starting QB from the "Gold" team is the backup freshman QB to my husbands Silver Team starting QB :)

We have moved on to help start up our own league in our own town. The guy who started our new league heard about DH and stopped at nothing to get him to move leagues (seriously...he was a total PITA until DH said yes LOL I love the guy now, but there was a time when I was about to tell him off and leave us alone!). As I said, DH is now the director of coaching and player safety, and he is also coaching the 8th grade Varsity team. We will see how it goes. Sometimes you only get a team like that once in a lifetime. But maybe not.

Good luck to you and your team! Coaching is so rewarding - I wouldn't stop doing it for anything!

Last edited:

• I also set the rules with the kids. On my teams, there are three rules:
  • 1. Be respectful of your team, your coach, and of yourself - No backtalking, no goofing off when you are supposed to be listening, no teasing, bragging, or putting anyone down. There is no such word as "Can't". Always say "OK, I'll try"
  • 2. Give 100% effort - I'm not looking for the girls to be the best and do everything perfect. I just expect them to try their hardest and give me 100% effort.
  • 3. Stay Positive - this means no complaining, no moaning/groaning, and no getting down on yourself or your teammates, win OR lose. Be a good sport. Celebrate the small victories and the big wins the same way.

Thanks everyone! We're excited, but a little overwhelmed/nervous. Based on last year's experience with this league, I think we'll have a pretty good set of parents and kids - I didn't really see too many crazy soccer parents on the sidelines at the 1st grade clinics, but maybe everyone gets insane once they start playing other teams :-)

Lilacs4Me - I love love love these rules. Do you mind if I blatantly steal them? You articulate what I've been trying to figure out how to say perfectly.

Thanks everyone! We're excited, but a little overwhelmed/nervous. Based on last year's experience with this league, I think we'll have a pretty good set of parents and kids - I didn't really see too many crazy soccer parents on the sidelines at the 1st grade clinics, but maybe everyone gets insane once they start playing other teams :-)

Lilacs4Me - I love love love these rules. Do you mind if I blatantly steal them? You articulate what I've been trying to figure out how to say perfectly.

Not at all! Steal away!

Wanted to also add, make sure the players (and parents) know criticizing team mates will NOT be allowed. When my oldest was playing U8, she tried being goalie. When she let a couple goals in, one of her team mates started yelling at her.

This is a great point - thanks for the reminder! Last year (coed) the boys started a "boys were better than girls" thing, and fortunately the coach shut that down fast. I think it might have been avoided if he had focused a little more on the "we are a team" aspect from the beginning. (He did really focus on that a lot from then on).

DH has been coaching rec and travel soccer for 14 years now (currently coaching GU14 and BU14). I don't know much - just s spectator - but definitely get cell phone numbers. It's a fast way for last minute cancellations (DH still uses email - drives me nuts), plus contacting those parents who forgot to pick up from practice. Every game, find a parent to be in charge of subbing in - give them a pen and clipboard. It's very hard to coach and keep track of who played what.

Thanks!

How many kids get to play at once? U8 at a national level is supposed to now mean 4 players on each side with no goalies, but some local organizations still insist on putting 6 kids on the field with a goalie which leads to clusters on the field.

Rule #1 for recreational soccer IMO, is the score doesn't mean anything. This game is fun, kids at this age hate failure and especially it being pointed out. Install the mentality from practice 1 that it is okay to fail, and that you want them to try new things and to have fun. Nobody is allowed to point out failures on your team, reward effort and trying new things.

Practice schedule that will work

First 5-10 minutes- Warm ups, don't waste time stretching or old style of warm ups, let the kids jog around the field for 1-2 minutes to get the blood flowing, then setup cones and let them dribble the ball back and forth for another few minutes, then separate them into 2 lines and allow them to pass to the other line and then follow their pass to switch spots in line for a few minutes

Next 5 minutes- work on technique, dribbling and passing in soccer are done with the inside and outside of the feet, not your toes. Work with the players on dribbling back and forth between cones, watching for proper technique.

Next 10 minutes- Setup games of sharks and minnows, this is a game designed to teach control and movement to the players, but in a fun way. Build a 20 X 20 field and each player is a minnow who needs to "swim" with their ball and keep the sharks away from their balls. The coach should start as the shark, then once the minnows are gone let one or two of the kids be the shark next, rotate until everyone gets to be a shark. Make sure the kids keep moving and watch where they are going. Encourage players to use the outside and insides of their feet to control the ball, not the toes.

Next 5 minutes- work on shooting/passing- place a ball 10 feet away from the kids on a cone- place the players in a line, have each player pass/shoot at the ball in attempt to knock it off the cone. Work with the players to have them use the insides of their feet to pass/shoot rather than their toes.

Next 5 minutes- use the same drill, but make yourself the target, turn your back to the kids and have them try to hit you with their pass/shot

Next 15 minutes- setup a small field and have the players play a scrimmage- 4 players on each side without a goalie is ideal. Work on keeping the players spaced apart (don't cluster) and reward passing and teamwork, the goal of soccer is to get the ball into open space and to have time on the ball/avoid pressure. A variation of this game can be to make 2 goals on each side of the field, players can score in any goal. This can help teach spacing of players instead of focusing/clustering around a single target.

Final 5 minutes- talk to the kids, thank them for working hard- talk to parents about the next practice or game information

Finally

You can get a US Soccer "F" license, basically it's a 2 hour online course that is intended for those parenting or coaching youth players, for $25, but this is probably overkill for what you are doing.

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/coaches/Education/

How many kids get to play at once? U8 at a national level is supposed to now mean 4 players on each side with no goalies, but some local organizations still insist on putting 6 kids on the field with a goalie which leads to clusters on the field.

Rule #1 for recreational soccer IMO, is the score doesn't mean anything. This game is fun, kids at this age hate failure and especially it being pointed out. Install the mentality from practice 1 that it is okay to fail, and that you want them to try new things and to have fun. Nobody is allowed to point out failures on your team, reward effort and trying new things.

Practice schedule that will work

First 5-10 minutes- Warm ups, don't waste time stretching or old style of warm ups, let the kids jog around the field for 1-2 minutes to get the blood flowing, then setup cones and let them dribble the ball back and forth for another few minutes, then separate them into 2 lines and allow them to pass to the other line and then follow their pass to switch spots in line for a few minutes

Next 5 minutes- work on technique, dribbling and passing in soccer are done with the inside and outside of the feet, not your toes. Work with the players on dribbling back and forth between cones, watching for proper technique.

Next 10 minutes- Setup games of sharks and minnows, this is a game designed to teach control and movement to the players, but in a fun way. Build a 20 X 20 field and each player is a minnow who needs to "swim" with their ball and keep the sharks away from their balls. The coach should start as the shark, then once the minnows are gone let one or two of the kids be the shark next, rotate until everyone gets to be a shark. Make sure the kids keep moving and watch where they are going. Encourage players to use the outside and insides of their feet to control the ball, not the toes.

Next 5 minutes- work on shooting/passing- place a ball 10 feet away from the kids on a cone- place the players in a line, have each player pass/shoot at the ball in attempt to knock it off the cone. Work with the players to have them use the insides of their feet to pass/shoot rather than their toes.

Next 5 minutes- use the same drill, but make yourself the target, turn your back to the kids and have them try to hit you with their pass/shot

Next 15 minutes- setup a small field and have the players play a scrimmage- 4 players on each side without a goalie is ideal. Work on keeping the players spaced apart (don't cluster) and reward passing and teamwork, the goal of soccer is to get the ball into open space and to have time on the ball/avoid pressure. A variation of this game can be to make 2 goals on each side of the field, players can score in any goal. This can help teach spacing of players instead of focusing/clustering around a single target.

Final 5 minutes- talk to the kids, thank them for working hard- talk to parents about the next practice or game information

Finally

You can get a US Soccer "F" license, basically it's a 2 hour online course that is intended for those parenting or coaching youth players, for $25, but this is probably overkill for what you are doing.

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/coaches/Education/

This is fantastic! Thanks so much.
We are still 6+goalie on the field. The larger organization voted last year when they changed the age divisions, and they decided to stay at 7v7 rather than going 4v4. I honestly don't have enough experience to know if that's a good or bad thing.

Thanks for the practice outline! That's hugely helpful.

Make no mistake, the parents are crazy.

This is what our club hands to parents every season...

Each parent is expected to...

Be cheerleaders.

Please refrain from sideline coaching. The game is challenging to learn and difficult to play. Directions from parents are a distraction. Only one coaching voice/coach is needed.

No coach can compete with a parent, nor should they have to.

Encourage the whole team. Every player needs encouragement throughout the game.

Allow the game to be the kids’. On the ride home from practice or a game, please avoid coaching in the car.

Please remember that every player is someone’s child. Treat each player, on both teams, as you would like your child to be treated.

Encourage their player(s) to build a relationship with the coach.
Help your player address concerns directly with their coach whenever possible. No child will ever be penalized for asking questions or expressing concerns.

Address concerns with their child’s coach, yet never right after a game.
Emotions can run high after a game, especially after a tough loss. Allow some time to pass before discussing a situation with the coach.

Do not address the referees.
Referees never change their minds.

Referees know the game and are in a better position than parents to make calls.

A referee’s job is very difficult and disrespect makes it worse. We need referees in order to play games, please do not drive them away.

Allow players to make mistakes.

More learning happens through failure than success. Allow your player, and all of the others on the team, to make mistakes.

Fear of failure destroys development and the passion for learning.

Let it be the kids’ team.

Your goals and aspirations may have nothing to do with why your child plays soccer. Please let them enjoy their experience.

Have players at practices and games BEFORE the scheduled start time.

Have your player at games 20-30 minutes early and practices 5-10 minutes early and ready to go. Start times are when activities begin, not when shoes should be put on, jerseys changed, or water bottles filled. Minutes equal teachable moments and small teachable moments matter.

If you know you will be late, please communicate with your team’s Manager and Coach.

Allow your player to determine if you are going to discuss their practices or games.
Children do not need, nor do they enjoy, dissecting a game or practice once it is over. The only thing a child needs to hear from their parents is, “I love you and enjoyed watching you play today.”

Encourage an honest effort, a positive attitude, and a focus on the team.

This is fantastic! Thanks so much.
We are still 6+goalie on the field. The larger organization voted last year when they changed the age divisions, and they decided to stay at 7v7 rather than going 4v4. I honestly don't have enough experience to know if that's a good or bad thing.

Thanks for the practice outline! That's hugely helpful.

You are welcome, that's a lot of chaos on the field. What kids need most at this age is time on the field and touches as much as possible, 7v7 is a bad thing, but so many parents hate the idea of 4v4 with no goalies. Young kids should have the chance to get the ball and not be swarmed by 5 other kids all at once. No goalies and less players means more touches, more goals and hopefully more fun. But, you can't control the organizational body.

The best coaches our kids had (from our perspective) were ones that communicated in a timely fashion with all the parents.
Just a couple ideas on this point... we have used GroupMe (a group texting ap) and TeamSnap (a website w/email and text messaging) for our travel and school teams. TeamSnap may be too much (they do have a free version) for rec, but GroupMe would probably work.

You have received some really good advice here. Let me toss in a couple of things that coaching soccer for 10+ years taught me. Coaching your own children can be tough, they have a hard time telling the difference between parent and "coach" . I used the if I'm wearing cleats I'm the "coach" anything else I'm Dad. Takes a bit of doing on both parts but is worth it in the end. Encourage sportsmanship teach them early and it will stick with them the rest of their lives. One that took me a while to learn was you don't need to yell to get your point across they are just kids and it is supposed to be fun. It took watching a video of a game I was coaching to realize what I was doing. I think it is a great thing you are doing have fun with it.

Make no mistake, the parents are crazy.

This is what our club hands to parents every season...

Each parent is expected to...

Be cheerleaders.

Please refrain from sideline coaching. The game is challenging to learn and difficult to play. Directions from parents are a distraction. Only one coaching voice/coach is needed.

No coach can compete with a parent, nor should they have to.

Encourage the whole team. Every player needs encouragement throughout the game..

Some of the leagues here are into "silent soccer". No cheers, no boos, no groans for anyone and if you do, you are asked to leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!