Typical Cast Member Reaction After Safety Incident?

I think if you refused the paramedics, you are saying that you are ok. So I guess there is no need to take information down at that point. It could also be that the paramedics are the ones who take injury reports, therefore by refusing the paramedics, there is no injury.

The gate not having a latch sounds dangerous to me. If it is deliberately left open, it probably needs a sign, "Do not lean, open gate" or something. Seems like something better should be done there, I'm sure you weren't the first person to do that.

Glad you are ok!

the only time we have had an injury at disney was at fort wilderness campground.My daughter cut her chin on the playground pole thing while waiting for hoop dee doo.There was a report filled out but it was by the paramedics they called who got there so fast I was amazed.They cleaned her up put those strips on it too hold it togather and we finished just in time for the show where they had saved us a spot up front .The manager checked on her twice and also got her a tshirt to change into since hers had blood on it.She still to this day when she gets hurt will say its better to be hurt in disney.

I don't think Disney did anything wrong. I think if you had asked for medical assistance things would have been escalated and handled differently and reports would have been filed. I imaging folks go into first aid/guest relations all day long with minor injuries and complaints like headaches, blisters, cuts, scrapes, nausea, sunburns, aches, pains, etc. They probably can't file official paperwork for everything.

I would think they would either fix the latch or put a sign saying "do not sit or lean on fence" just to cover themselves though.
A latch isn't designed to hold an adult's weight. I agree with PP that the rails weren't meant to be leaned on. A sign is a good idea, although I think it's kind of implied you don't sit on someone else's fence. There may be a sign, it just may not have been immediately in front of that spot on the rail. I imagine that in addition to all of the headaches and blisters the CMs have to be very careful about what they say to someone coming to report these things. As OP said, she was hoping to get an FP. What they could offer was medical attention, which she declined. Maybe had she asked for an incident report or some documentation they would have some form and confirmation number, but if you refuse what they offer, what else are they supposed to do?

I am sorry you fell, but I don't see what they did wrong.

If you thought the gate was unsafe, you could have taken a photo to show guest services to drive the point home.

But if you were utilizing something not as intended, that is not Disney's fault.

Last year I injured myself at a business. I was only offered an ice pack. I immediately knew I needed medical attention and called my husband to pick me and the kids up. The only additional thing they did was let my husband keep his car there until we could make arrangements to pick it up. (I could not drive.). The thing that puzzled me was that no accident report was ever completed and when I called and asked, they spouted off about their release form I had signed. No big deal for me, but all I could think of was how they were a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Somehow, I don't think Disney would have neglected a report if you responded yes to needing a paramedic.

I guess a report would have made them realize that additional signage may be necessary alerting guests to not lean on the temporary railings.

Last edited:

My daughter got hurt on a ride once, the ride lurched as she was getting off and she hit her nose causing it to bleed profusely.

They called the medical team but we declined because the bleeding stopped. They did get her replacement clothing and they did have us fill out a report and they did call to check on her several times through the trip. I imagine because it was obvious she was injured that is why a report was filled out. I imagine since you originally declined assistance they didn't need a report.

I have to agree that if you weren't hurt you should have reported it then just dropped it.

The fact you went back later to check means it was on your mind your whole vacation. Yikes.

Sadly in a legitious society, where people exploit it, that's where they have had to go. But it definitely flies in the face of their 'we take care of you' 'customer service' mantra.

I think there is a fair amount of distance between saying "we take care of you" and "we will admit liability for negligence whenever a customer demands it." Even taking an entire cruise ship hostage with obstinate demands cannot bridge that distance. Frankly your father is lucky he didn't spend six hours in an empty room while Homeland Security goons went through every file in his phone.

I am not sure why people assume a decorative railing will support their weight, bad luck picking a broken gate to lean on........"Stay hydrated" maybe they thought you were dizzy from the heat???

Alvernon, Whatever dude. Everyone had already disembarked and left. We were just the last ones to check thru the terminal. No one would give him an incident report. Homeland had nothing to so with it and neither does his phone. It was all with customer service.

I don't know what the laws in Florida are, maybe a lawyer that practices there can clarify, but in Michigan a report for this incident (and most others) would be completely unnecessary. Essentially, we, as human beings walking around in the world, make assumptions of risk merely by leaving our homes. Tripping on pavement, slipping on a tile floor, etc, are all risks we assume by visiting places. Leaning on a gate would fall into that category. An injury that might happen is just part of the risk of being out in the world. I would also be willing to bet that the terms and conditions for your tickets (pages long that we all skip reading, but check that we did) includes the release of liability for injury at the park. Additionally, while it's true back issues can show up after an fall, since you refused treatment twice, the responsibility for proof of injury occupancy would fall on you. It would be very difficult for you to prove in court that any back problems you experienced after-the-fact were a result of that particular fall, and not because of riding several rides at Disney during the week, tripping at home, coming to a sudden stop in your car at home after your trip, etc. once you refused treatment, there was nothing to report.

A conglomerate like Disney is ultra careful of documenting such incidents, so I am truly surprised this was handled the way it was. This is not about Disney "magic", but more about the liability they could face if this was not such an understanding member. The CM in this case may not have been properly trained, cause I think any manager would have taken this much more seriously.
Glad no one was hurt.

In their post the OP reports that they refused help offered by the CMs twice. That is the crucial thing here, Disney CMs offered assistance and were refused. Treatment cannot be forced on someone who is capable to make decisions so when the refusal of aide is made that ends what the organization can do. Disney staff went as far as they legally could as far as the fall itself is concerned. I see no basis for complaint when they tried. The stay hydrated comment is of no consequence. You should do that in Florida in a any event.

My daughter fell while exiting the Buzz Lightyear ride and suffered a profusely bleeding cut in her eyebrow. paramedics were called but a quick cleanup and bandaid was all that was needed. The paramedic too a report - standard for paramedics responding to a call. We received a voucher for a new (bloodless) outfit.

Two days later, same daughter tripped while walking down the sidewalk at the resort. Had a nasty cut on her lip. We went to the front desk who managed to supply a bandaid after much searching. No report was taken despite the blood. As far as I was concerned, no report was needed. I probably wouldn't have been all that surprised if they wanted to take one for their records but I didn't need one.

Yeah OP I'm not sure what your getting at here you were asked numerous times for assistance and then denied it.

Then you went to guest services for what reason if you still didn't want assistance...?

she went to guest services thinking they would make out an incident report and look into what she thought was an unsafe gate.

Typical reaction? I hope so. They asked you more than once if you were ok or needed help. To me, that is a good reaction. Not sure what else they should have done.

the initial CMs reaction was not what she was wondering about.
it was the CM at guest services that did not document what she was concerned about that she thought may not have been a typical response.
when i've gone to guest services with an issue they document it. (for example when my sister's MB suddenly stopped working last summer we went to guest services and they decided it could not be fixed and linked a new one for her and they documented what happened)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts