Tyler's Wish Trip - Nov. 20-25, 2009 / Dream Factory

I will try to briefly recap the Wish situation with Tyler. First, he could not stay at GKTW and I will not go into the reasons for why. So, his Wish organization was going to put him up in a condo in Orlando that was donated. Then they were going to rent us a mid-size sedan. A family of 5 and a double stroller will not fit in a mid-size sedan. Then I assumed that they would provide us with about $50 a person per day for food. The total for those two items alone was about $1,600. I received a special email offer from Disney for Free Basic Dining plan in November during our dates. I sent the info. to the Dream Factory and I was told that they were still putting us up in the condo even though the offer I sent them was all inclusive and much cheaper. I knew that they were trying to save money to be able to grant more wishes. Then about a week later I received a phone call telling me that we were staying at All Star Sports with free dining. Our trip is still one day shorter than most trips. I guess I assumed since I knew other people that went on trips through the Dream Factory that we would still have an expense check to cover checked luggage, tips and meals to and from Disney while traveling. However, they had other ideas. It will be fine. We will make it work.

The important thing is that I made reservations for Tyler to have breakfast with Stitch and he can ride the Dumbos on his own without Stitch. We will make sure that he has the trip of a lifetime that he will never forget! The members of Disboards have already made our trip planning so much more magical than we could have imagined! We will enjoy the time we have together as a family!
:grouphug:

I'm sorry things didn't happen the way you had thought they would. That must be pretty shocking so close to your trip! Did they tell you they would be paying for your tips and baggage too?

No matter what, you are going to have a WONDERFUL time!!! If you are like us, you will have so many snack credits left over, you will fill a carryon with snacks!!! We had a lot of fun at the Goofy Candy store at DTD using up credits the day before we came home. At Pop, they let us convert some of our counter service credits to three snack credits each. That was so fun!! We missed our bus back to the airport because we were trying to spend all the credits! :scared1:

There is hope yet........

The Dream Factory scheduled Tyler for a pirate make-over, but they are so confused. They made it for the 23rd at the castle? Pirates do not get made-over at the castle. So, I canceled that appointment. I still have both appointments on the 22nd that a wonderful disboards member is paying for for us. Anyway, I asked if it was pre-paid since I canceled it, but I did not tell her I canceled it. I knew from talking to the person at BBB that it was not pre-paid. The reply from the Dream Factory was that the money to pay for it comes out of our expense check???? I sent a new email asking if that was something we were supposed to have already. Now we will wait and see!
popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn::

Wow! Such excitment so close to your going on your trip! I hope they realized that they forgot to include the expense check and that you'll be getting one. Remember that God answers prayers! I have faith that things will work out just fine. Your family will have a wonderful time of great memories either way.

:hug: Sorry you've had such stress going on! It seems like a lot of the wish organizations don't send out expense checks until the very last minute. At first I kind of wondered why, but it occured to me. 1. There are some families that would prob spend a lot of the money not on the trip if they got it far ahead. 2. There has been at least one family that I know of that got the check, then ditched the trip. I know that doesn't seem like something people would do, but apparently it happens. Wait and see how they reply, but I would bet you'll get it 24-48 hrs before you leave.

Wow! Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing over there:confused3 How frustrating this process has been for you:sad2:

When I talked to our MAW rep today she said they generally don't give or even reveal the amount of the check until right before the trip (when they give you everything else) but she made it sound like it was because they wanted to 'surprise' the family. I get her point but from personal experience now I know how hard it is to plan the extras if you don't know how much you're working with.

I'm glad it looks like perhaps you will be getting something after all. Keep us posted please:):)

Pamela :santa:

Matty's Wish Trip http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2325607

yeah...this is a whole different trip...

Most of our trips were sponsored by MAW.

But judging by the reply you got...it sounds like she DID think you have a check... does that make sense? Like...yeah...that should be in your budget??

Hopefully they'll get this confusion cleared up quickly. MAW did our trip and they didn't pay for our lunch with JoJo (which was DS's actual wish) but I just allowed for it out of my pocket (ouch!). They didn't pay for baggage either but there was enough in the "gas & parking" to cover it. GKTW gets you free parking with your button so I used that to pay for baggage. We flew AirTran and round trip was $105 for baggage so check the airline website if you have to pay any of it.
Lots of prayers that this will ease up early in the week and you can plan more stress free! :hug:

I'm sorry that you are having a difficult time with your wish organization. As Maroo said, many of us here are MAW beneficiaries and therefore do not know much about how Dream Factory works.

Although it may be an akward conversation, I think your best bet would be to call either your wish granter or the Dream Factory and directly ask them if you will be receiving an expense check. Explain to them that while you are extremely grateful for giving Tyler his Wish to go to Disneyworld, that you do have concerns about the extra expenses that are not included with your lodging and free dining plan.

Tactfully remind them that there are many costs including, but not limited to baggage fees, tips (inform them that these are not included with the Disney dining plan and can add up quickly), souveniers (not necessary, but seriously who would expect to grant a child's wish and not allow them to buy a souvenier or two?), and other odds and ends. If possible, give them an estimate of what you expect to spend.

After explaining what you would need an expense check for, then stress to them why you need it. Monthly medications, tons and tons of copays and deductibles, etc, etc add up quickly. Additionally (and I don't know if this is the case with you), many parents of special needs children cannot work or are very limited to how much they can work because of the child's appointments and illnesses. I know that our budget is tight because I am unable to work and Bella's medical expenses (even though most is covered by insurance) add up quickly. If this trip were to cost us anything, we would not be able to go. Tell the Dream Factory the same applies to your family for Tyler's trip. Simply say something like - If I had known that we would be responsible for the extra expenses, I would have scheduled the trip at a different time so we would have time to save up for it. Even a couple hundred dollars makes a big difference in our household and with Christmas coming up, I had not budgeted extra expenses from the trip.

It does sound like there is some confusion within the organization as to whether or not you should receive an expense check. It seems as if some people think you are getting one while at the same time others don't. I do hope you get some clarificaiton soon. You certainly don't need that type of stress on top of everything else!:hug:

Wow! Such excitment so close to your going on your trip! I hope they realized that they forgot to include the expense check and that you'll be getting one. Remember that God answers prayers! I have faith that things will work out just fine. Your family will have a wonderful time of great memories either way.

Thank you for the support!

:hug: Sorry you've had such stress going on! It seems like a lot of the wish organizations don't send out expense checks until the very last minute. At first I kind of wondered why, but it occured to me. 1. There are some families that would prob spend a lot of the money not on the trip if they got it far ahead. 2. There has been at least one family that I know of that got the check, then ditched the trip. I know that doesn't seem like something people would do, but apparently it happens. Wait and see how they reply, but I would bet you'll get it 24-48 hrs before you leave.

Unfortunately, no check is coming.

Wow! Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing over there:confused3 How frustrating this process has been for you:sad2:

When I talked to our MAW rep today she said they generally don't give or even reveal the amount of the check until right before the trip (when they give you everything else) but she made it sound like it was because they wanted to 'surprise' the family. I get her point but from personal experience now I know how hard it is to plan the extras if you don't know how much you're working with.

I'm glad it looks like perhaps you will be getting something after all. Keep us posted please:):)

Matty's Wish Trip http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2325607

This organization is very confused and it is difficult when my Wish volunteer keeps having to go to higher-ups to ask questions.

yeah...this is a whole different trip...

Most of our trips were sponsored by MAW.

But judging by the reply you got...it sounds like she DID think you have a check... does that make sense? Like...yeah...that should be in your budget??

No expense check is in the budget.

Hopefully they'll get this confusion cleared up quickly. MAW did our trip and they didn't pay for our lunch with JoJo (which was DS's actual wish) but I just allowed for it out of my pocket (ouch!). They didn't pay for baggage either but there was enough in the "gas & parking" to cover it. GKTW gets you free parking with your button so I used that to pay for baggage. We flew AirTran and round trip was $105 for baggage so check the airline website if you have to pay any of it.
Lots of prayers that this will ease up early in the week and you can plan more stress free! :hug:

I'm sorry that you are having a difficult time with your wish organization. As Maroo said, many of us here are MAW beneficiaries and therefore do not know much about how Dream Factory works.

Although it may be an akward conversation, I think your best bet would be to call either your wish granter or the Dream Factory and directly ask them if you will be receiving an expense check. Explain to them that while you are extremely grateful for giving Tyler his Wish to go to Disneyworld, that you do have concerns about the extra expenses that are not included with your lodging and free dining plan.

Tactfully remind them that there are many costs including, but not limited to baggage fees, tips (inform them that these are not included with the Disney dining plan and can add up quickly), souveniers (not necessary, but seriously who would expect to grant a child's wish and not allow them to buy a souvenier or two?), and other odds and ends. If possible, give them an estimate of what you expect to spend.

After explaining what you would need an expense check for, then stress to them why you need it. Monthly medications, tons and tons of copays and deductibles, etc, etc add up quickly. Additionally (and I don't know if this is the case with you), many parents of special needs children cannot work or are very limited to how much they can work because of the child's appointments and illnesses. I know that our budget is tight because I am unable to work and Bella's medical expenses (even though most is covered by insurance) add up quickly. If this trip were to cost us anything, we would not be able to go. Tell the Dream Factory the same applies to your family for Tyler's trip. Simply say something like - If I had known that we would be responsible for the extra expenses, I would have scheduled the trip at a different time so we would have time to save up for it. Even a couple hundred dollars makes a big difference in our household and with Christmas coming up, I had not budgeted extra expenses from the trip.

It does sound like there is some confusion within the organization as to whether or not you should receive an expense check. It seems as if some people think you are getting one while at the same time others don't. I do hope you get some clarificaiton soon. You certainly don't need that type of stress on top of everything else!:hug:

Here is the response I received today: Okay ........... In the paperwork that I sent you is the time of day and day of the pirate party.
The Dream Factory did not give you folks any expense money because everything was already paid for.

Have a great trip and I hope the weather is good for you.

I think at this point I am done trying to explain that the pirate makeover, the tips and the airport baggage fees are not covered. We will find a way to cover it. I do stay at home with my 3 kids. However, I also do mystery shopping as a side job. It does not pay much, but I can pick up a few extra jobs over the holidays to cover the extra expenses and we will make it work! Tyler will never know the difference! :grouphug:

I was inspired by the Big Give. I went to the fabric store yesterday since I wanted matching outfits for MVMCP. However, I took Breanna and Tyler with me. The two of them could not agree on any fabric, but we finally found some. Then last night at 7:30 PM my husband discovered a $10 coupon off of a $10 purchase at Kohl’s. Bre and I went and found shirts to wear with the shorts and skirts. None of the shirts match each other, but they are all Christmas related and the bottom halves will all match. Then I purchased material to go with their safari Mickey and Minnie shirts from the Big Give. Tyler picked a giraffe pattern for his shorts and Bre picked a leopard pattern. Then I really wanted to find some Belle material so we went to a second fabric store. I did not find what I was looking for, but Tyler found a bolt of Handy Manny material, took it off the shelf and carried it around the store. Bre found High School musical material. I have finished all of Tyler’s shorts. I have made Hayley one skirt. I had a basic skirt pattern that I shortened the length of and it is still long on her and then I made a little ruffle. I attached the ruffle with my serger. I guess it can make things other than weighted blankets. It is so cute. Here are some pictures so far. Now, I need to get back to sewing while Hayley takes her nap and the other two are back at school!

DSC03300.jpg

DSC03299.jpg

DSC03301.jpg

:cloud9: :woohoo: :cheer2:

Too cute! I'm hoping after Christmas I can start doing a few small things for Piper. I can sew, but I'm still learning to do clothes, so it takes me a while. I have done some AG clothes for her & my nieces dolls, so I'm thinking if I can do clothing that small, her should be easy! I love the shorts and skirts :)

Just a few more days now!! WOW!!!!!!!!:dance3: You must be SO excited. Love the new outfits you made, how cute!! You are so talented, I wouldn't even know how to use the machine!!!!:laughing: Hope your packing is going well!!!!

The shorts and skirt are so cute! You did a wonderful job!

I'm sorry to hear of the disapointing outcome with your expense check.

hey sorry i have been mia! so sorry to hear of your troubles with this company! while it's awesome they are doing this, what a pita and needless worry! don't they know you are already stressed!

Just 4 more days now, here's hoping for excellent news!

Thank you! I must admit that I am not good at sewing. I had to rip the seams out of the first pair of shorts since I made the waist into the legs. However, as long as the waist is elastic I can make them. I don't do zippers. The skirts are the easiest. It is just two pieces of fabric that you sew together at the seams. Then you add elastic as for the waist and sew a seam at the bottom. I just made a long stitch for the ruffle and pulled the bottom thread to gather the material and I cheated by folding the fabric for the bottom seam of the ruffle. Then I just serged the bottom of the skirt and the ruffle together. It took less than 30 minutes to make a skirt with a ruffle and I have never made one before. I also only had the pattern for the straight skirt. I examined the ruffle on Hayley's Big Give Tinkerbell skirt to figure out the best way to add a ruffle.

Here is the last one for Hayley:
DSC03302.jpg

Just a few more days now!! WOW!!!!!!!!:dance3: You must be SO excited. Love the new outfits you made, how cute!! You are so talented, I wouldn't even know how to use the machine!!!!:laughing: Hope your packing is going well!!!!

Thank you! I just purchased a sewing machine when Bre was little and a sewing manual. I have no training. I am making progress on packing. I am done sewing for Tyler and Hayley. I just need to make a few skirts for Bre. I will sew a little more today and then after I pick Bre up from school, I will gather everyone's outfits for the week! It is so close! :banana:

The shorts and skirt are so cute! You did a wonderful job!

I'm sorry to hear of the disapointing outcome with your expense check.

Thank you for the compliments on my sewing!

hey sorry i have been mia! so sorry to hear of your troubles with this company! while it's awesome they are doing this, what a pita and needless worry! don't they know you are already stressed!

Just 4 more days now, here's hoping for excellent news!

We will have a fantastic trip just being able to spend time together as a family! :wizard:

they are all adorable! where did you find the Handy Manny fabric!! I need some of that for sure!!!

Have a WONDERFUL TRIP!! Did you pack yet?
I have not packed yet, but outfits are laid out all over my bed. I needed Bre to come home to finish her last 3 skirts. My pattern only went to a 6x so I have had to extend it to a size 12 and before I cut the fabric, I wanted to hold the pattern up to her. The Handy Manny fabric is at Hancock Fabrics. They actually had two different Handy Manny fabrics and a Princess and the Frog fabric. All of the licensed character fabric is also 50% off this week! :woohoo: However, there were no princesses to be found anywhere! I have some Cinderella fabric and some purple princess fabric from when Bre was little, but they don't match with the shirt. Let me know if you can't find the Manny fabric and I will pick some up and send it to you!

Now, I am really off to finish packing before Aaron gets home! I have an hour! :rolleyes1

Hey.....what a great job!! They look terrific. I can sew home goods (window treatments, tablecloths etc.) but not clothes. I was thinking of trying to do a fleece blanket or two (Disney themed of course) for whoever's riding in the stroller on those chilly mid-December nights at the park. You've inspired me to get movin':thumbsup2

I'm glad to hear you are no longer stressing about all the shenanigans with your Wish organization. It's getting close :yay: I'm excited for you.

Matty's Wish Trip http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2325607

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter