Two unplanned expenses; damaged children

It is also a law in our state; however, I see tons of kids not wearing helmets. The police just drive by and do nothing to enforce it. Sad....

I'm so glad to see this post because I actually have a related post. From the time my DD got her tricycle she's had a "bike hat". Well she's 3 1/2 now and her 3+ bike helmet is too little but the next size up (Like 5-7 or something like) is too big. I have read the instructions and it says to use additional pads to get the helmet to fit but I can't find them. Now I haven't made it to a bicycle shop yet....but Walmart, Target, etc doesn't have them. I have not allowed DD to ride because her helmet is way too big. So is a bicycle shop in the only place to get these? It probably isn't a bad idea for us to try and find one a make a special trip with her helmet so she can be fitted properly too. I never wore one growing up (and honestly still don't -but that is going to change) so I have no idea how they should fit beyond reading some not always clear instructions.

Thank you for the reminded.. I left my 7yos helmet out over the winter and it got ruined. I am going to go buy her a new one today.

I think we parents are "clueless" about helmets because we didn't use them as kids -- and growing up without air conditioning, video games, organized sports, etc., we spent waaaay more time outside playing and riding bikes than the average kids do today. And we rode on uneven ground with rocks and things to hit, not nice sidewalks. Didn't we all have homemade bike ramps in the backyard, and didn't we pretend to be the Dukes of Hazzard while jumping over things on our bikes? We had an old clawfoot tub in my cousin's backyard, and we'd ride up pieces of old wood (propped up by cinder blocks) and jump over that tub -- we all fell hard more than once. Looking back, I can't believe the things we did . . . and no one ever got more than a scraped knee. I also can't believe we didn't destroy the bikes in the process. We were more afraid of the Doberman than being hurt while riding.

Also, while these serious accidents can be traumatic, they are rare. We all know people who've been in car accidents -- in our collective psyche, that's a very real possibility for any of us. Most of us don't know anyone who's been hurt on a bike, so the possibility of it happening to us seems distant and unlikely. It's kind of like being hit by lightening; yeah, it could happen to us, but we don't really think it will.

Not excusing the lack of helmets, but explaining the thought process behind not bothering with them.

Thanks for pointing this out. I survived a childhood full of many bike accidents(think gravel embedded in your arms:scared1: no helmet would have ever prevented that) and we never,ever wore seatbelts. I don't think our vehicles even had them. While I do strap my kids into their car seats faithfully I am not a stickler for helmets. Of course my kids are still on trikes at this point. We live in the boonies with no chance of an encounter with an automobile and I am not going to live in fear of all the other things out there can harm them. On our property there is a chance of snakebite, falling out of a tree, falling down in the rocky drain, rusty nails in the barn, lime disease, rocky mountain spotted fever, west nile, drunken neighbors shooting all the time:rotfl2: (just joking-I hope they aren't drunk), wild animals that carry diseases, etc.. I am not going to keep my kids locked in in front of the tv or computer for them to become obese and plagued with health problems. I know we live in a culture of fear, but I refuse to raise my kids in that manner. This is just my opinion and I am very flexible in that. If the situation ever warrants it, believe me, those helmets will be on.

Most of us don't know anyone who's been hurt on a bike, so the possibility of it happening to us seems distant and unlikely.

Maybe I'm unusual but I know three adults that have been hurt on bikes - one of which wouldn't be alive if it weren't for his helmet. (well, I guess I actually know a lot more but mountain biking is a whole 'nother ball game...I'm just talking road biking/commuting/family riding).

Another reminder is to replace helmets if you have had a decent fall or if the helmet itself has seen some abuse. There may be cracks that render them less effective.

Great thread!

But, at the same time, I think we should recognize the rarity of these accidents in reality. The modern media world makes us hear about all kinds of tragic incidents constantly in the 24 hour news cycle - but these things really don't happen all that often from a statistical basis.

True. Statisically, it's not that common, but would I want my kid being one of those statistics? No. Just because it isn't happening to everyone left and right doesn't mean you take simple precautions to avoid it.

Thanks for pointing this out. I survived a childhood full of many bike accidents(think gravel embedded in your arms:scared1: no helmet would have ever prevented that)

True. No helmet would have ever prevented gravel embedded in your arm, because that's not what they were designed to do. They were designed to prevent traumatic brain injuries to children (and adults as well) Gravel embedded in your arm *typically* doesn't cause life altering disabilites requiring surgeries and the possibility of long term care. Having taken care of people who had traumatic brain injuries from accidents of all types, I'd rather do something simple to prevent that in myself and my kids.

Ventilators, tube feedings, incontinence, difficulty walking, slurred speech, drooling, bedridden, bed sores, not being able to brush your own teeth, unable to have a job, unable to go to prom, get married, have children, having to be dependant on someone else for the rest of your life......
NAH....give me a helmet.

I'm guessing the gravel in your arm didn't cause any of these problems.....THANKFULLY!

We live in the boonies with no chance of an encounter with an automobile and I am not going to live in fear of all the other things out there can harm them. I am not going to keep my kids locked in in front of the tv or computer for them to become obese and plagued with health problems. I know we live in a culture of fear, but I refuse to raise my kids in that manner. This is just my opinion and I am very flexible in that. If the situation ever warrants it, believe me, those helmets will be on.

I just wanted to point out that you don't have to be near a car to fall off a bike onto your head. My cousin was riding on a bike path when she was younger, flipped over the hand bars, bounced on her head, and suffered a concusion. No car anywhere nearby.

I'm so glad to see this post because I actually have a related post. From the time my DD got her tricycle she's had a "bike hat". Well she's 3 1/2 now and her 3+ bike helmet is too little but the next size up (Like 5-7 or something like) is too big. I have read the instructions and it says to use additional pads to get the helmet to fit but I can't find them. Now I haven't made it to a bicycle shop yet....but Walmart, Target, etc doesn't have them. I have not allowed DD to ride because her helmet is way too big. So is a bicycle shop in the only place to get these? It probably isn't a bad idea for us to try and find one a make a special trip with her helmet so she can be fitted properly too. I never wore one growing up (and honestly still don't -but that is going to change) so I have no idea how they should fit beyond reading some not always clear instructions.

The only thing I can suggest is calling the company and having them send the extra padding to you or buying the next size up helmet and using the extra padding from that and when she grows out of the helmet you already have a new one.

I had a problem getting a helmet when my son was one because I couldn't find one small enough for him when he was riding in the seat attached to my bike. I finally bought one that the package said was for an older child and put the padding in so it would fit.

I think the point I was trying to make is that kids can get hurt doing a ton of different things and you can't always protect them 24/7 no matter what. If I were worried about statistics I would never ever put my children in the car. Sure, you don't want your kid to be the statistic but you don't have to be over zealous either.

And yes, I am fully aware that you don't have to be near a car to fall on your head.:rotfl2: I would still take my chances on head versus rock over head versus Ford Excursion with/without helmet anytime.

Am I the only one that has difficulty adjusting the d#%$ straps on those helmets? I have to admit, I doubt if any of my younger 3 children's helmets fit correctly since I have such a difficult time adjusting the straps.

Just a reminder, helmets aren't just for bikes, they're also for scooters and roller blades/skates. But NOT for the playground where a child could be choked by the strap (our MP's put an article in the newspaper pointing that out so I thought I'd mention it).

They make helmets with such "cool" patterns on them now that my kids enjoy picking them out when it's time to get a new one.

DD6 is allowed to say one "bad" word only in the presence of DH and me. (she knows she'd get into huge trouble if she pulled it out at school.) She started saying this "bad" word when she was about 3 in relation to this situation. Whenever we see someone riding a bike, scooter, motorcycle, blading, or skateboarding without a helmet we say, "Look at that guy/girl, you know what he/she is?" DD chimes in with, "An idiot." There's never any excuse to not where a helmet...likewise a seatbelt.

my SIL just gave my DD (3y/o) a tricycle on Wednesday and she overheard me tell DD that she'd be able to go out and ride AFTER we went and bought her a helmet, so SIL chimes in "it's only a tricycle, she doesn't need one" - well maybe her kids don't need helmets but mine do - she also lets her's ride/drive one of those mini tractors without helmets

on the subject of car seats - my DH is a Police Officer and that's one of his big issues, he wishes there was more he could do (other than writing a summons) so he makes sure to lecture on the importance of car seats - I always have our car seats inspected when my DS's school runs the program, I've been asked to join since my seats are always perfect

DS4 has ALWAYS had a helmit, from his first tricycle, first ride on the back of my bike and first ride on his little push car. He thinks nothing of putting on his helmet now and I love that. He also wears one on his powerwheel. Do I really think he is going to fall off of that? Probably not, but you never know!

A kid in our neighborhood flipped over his bike in the middle of the street when just turning 4, he was going so fast and his helmet hit that ground so hard (I saw the whole thing), that i KNOW had he not had that on he would be lucky to be here. His father is stickler about it being so tight (always was) but he one lucky boy from it!

And don't get me started on carseats! I just can't believe some parents! The other day a lady came to pick up some toys, she had a 9 month old and 2 year old, she was putting the baby in the car and the boy climbed in his seat. I was talking so buckled him in, it was a van and I was just kind of standing there. The straps were so loose! I tightened up without making it obvious (although I probably should have said something). That kid would have flown right out. He definately was tighter then ever and not a peep about it. I did mention to the mom, please just double check. I would feel unsafe someone else buckling my child in and driving off! I hope she noticed and left them that tight!

Kids (and parents) would be less likely to think it's cool to ride without one if they really knew the consequences. I am so sorry for all those who have suffered from those accidents.

My dd is 5 and she knows the rule in our house is if there are wheels under your feet then there better be a helmet on your head. She is very good about wearing her helmet when she rides her bike. No way am I risking that.

I too require that both of my boys wear their helmets when biking, scootering or skateboarding. I know the incidents are rare, but I don't want to be the statistic.

I also am a stickler for car seats. I ride the highways daily to/from work and I'm amazed at what I see regarding kids and proper restraints.

As an aside, my cousins were mountain biking a few years ago up in CA. They were riding downhill at a speed consistent w/ the ride and my cousin either hit something or lost control. Regardless, he ended up off the bike and badly hurt. Broken pelvis and a variety of other injuries. Fortunately, no head injury due to his helmet. Recently, my friend's brother lost control of his motorcycle when a car backed out of a driveway w/o looking and he tried to avoid hitting it. Because of his helmet, he managed to avoid serious head injury. Unfortunately, because he didn't have a full face helmet, he ended up breaking every bone in his face and required (and will continue to require) many surgeries to repair the damage. We're all just thankful that he's alive.

So please, please put those helmets on the kids. It takes only a second for something unexpected to happen and a lifetime to live with it.

I went to the bike shop and had the professionals fit my son for a helmet. The helmet that I bought was $60 which some people say is too expensive for a helmet but it adjusts as he gets older and fits his head perfectly. The guy at the bike shop showed me exactly how the helmet should be worn. You would be suprised at how often kids where the helmet incorrectly. When the helmet is on the kid's head the helmet should fit snuggly and not fall off even when the chin strap is not buckled. So put the helmet on your child and have him shake his head up and down...if the helmet falls off it is not the right fit.
I am very much for wearing helmets, seatbelts, carseats, not riding in the front seat....where I start to break down is with life jackets. I never wear a life jacket. I make my son wear one on the sailboat but never just swimming in the ocean or when we go tubing. I will only wear one when whitewater rafting. So that is my weak area. Our rule is never swim alone.

Last September my oldest DD was in the hospital and the kid in the room with her was a 2 year old little boy that was on his trike at his Grandparents house went down the driveway couldn't stop and went into the street under a truck that was driving by. He had on a helmet that saved his life. The helmet had a hole in it where his head would have had he not had it on. He had a broken leg, hip and arm but had no brain damage or even death because he had the helmet on. His dad is a EMT and is going to use the helmet to show what happens when you wear one.

Thanks for pointing this out. I survived a childhood full of many bike accidents(think gravel embedded in your arms:scared1: no helmet would have ever prevented that) and we never,ever wore seatbelts. I don't think our vehicles even had them. While I do strap my kids into their car seats faithfully I am not a stickler for helmets. Of course my kids are still on trikes at this point. We live in the boonies with no chance of an encounter with an automobile and I am not going to live in fear of all the other things out there can harm them. On our property there is a chance of snakebite, falling out of a tree, falling down in the rocky drain, rusty nails in the barn, lime disease, rocky mountain spotted fever, west nile, drunken neighbors shooting all the time:rotfl2: (just joking-I hope they aren't drunk), wild animals that carry diseases, etc.. I am not going to keep my kids locked in in front of the tv or computer for them to become obese and plagued with health problems. I know we live in a culture of fear, but I refuse to raise my kids in that manner. This is just my opinion and I am very flexible in that. If the situation ever warrants it, believe me, those helmets will be on.

What situation warrants it? What's the harm in having them put on helmets? Do you think it's an inconvenience? I'm just curious.

For anyone interested enough in the safety of their children to organize it, bike rodeos are a great way to teach kids (and their responsible adults) about bike safety and have some fun, too. Usually, a town police officer/safety officer will set up a small obstacle course with cones, stop signs, straightaway and braking area. They should bring a bike pump & wrench, and go over each bike for fit (the right size for the child), condition (tires, seat, tightened handlebars, etc.) and check the helmet for size and fit. I have been a parent helper at some of these, and the way kids are just sent off without paying attention to the right way to do it is amazing. I know my son doesn't listen to everything I tell him, but when a police officer shows him the correct way to wear his helmet, boy does he take it seriously! In our town, after the kids "graduate" by showing their biking skills, they get a coupon for a free ice cream cone from a local store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter