Two snakes, one visit

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by lugnut33, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Plutoroo

Plutoroo Earning My Ears

I have been to WDW many, many times over the years and have seen 4 snakes total, which I guess are good odds.
    A 2 foot or so black racer slithered out right in front of me as I was running beside the Calypso bldg at ASM. I jumped over it and kept on running! It continued to slither into the bushes by the main pool.
    During another visit to ASM, a smaller black racer slithered out on the sidewalk near the piano pool. I watched it slither back into the bushes.
    I saw a small garter snake on the side of the walkway leading out of the Oasis at AK.
    Yet another visit, a small snake slithered across the sidewalk in fron of me at Typhoon Lagoon.
    I always get a room on an upper floor, even though black racers are great climbers... It makes me feel like the chances of one getting into my room (possibly by a Mousekeeper propping the door open) are less. I'm paranoid that way. I'm careful of my surroundings, especially of bushes and by the lakes.
    At any rate, WDW continues to be my fav place, in spite of any snakes!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. hgeisler

hgeisler DIS Veteran

Those things are worse than cockroaches imo. They are bigger AND they fly!:eek:

4. StephMS

StephMS Earning My Ears

We've only seen snakes at 2 Disney Resorts. The Caribbean Beach and the Yacht Club. At CBR, we only saw 1. It was curled up by the stairs when we were returning from the parks one night. We called the front desk and by the time someone came, it had disappeared.

At the YC, we actually saw 3.:eek: But it was in the same place every time, so it may have been the same one. We had a balcony overlooking the marina and on 3 separate occasions while sitting on the balcony we saw a snake come up over the decking and slither into the bushes. Our sons would sit on the balcony and warn people walking below. All 3 times someone came looking, but only once did they actually see the snake and it managed to get away from them and back into the water.

We have lots of snakes at home, too so we are used to looking for them when walking and know what kinds of areas to avoid...but I still don't like them and don't want to see them!!!:goodvibes

5. kapoof

kapoof DIS Veteran

:scared1::scared1::scared1: it that thing took flight I would have fainted.

I live near in Chicago and never really complain anymore about our freezing winters...I think the deep freeze kills some of the bugs.

6. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Yeah. it's Florida and hot and humid. So you get all sorts of water bugs. Don't care much for them, but they survived the Ice Age.

7. Kellykins1218

Kellykins1218 DIS Veteran

I wasn't fast enough to get a picture either!

8. Kellykins1218

Kellykins1218 DIS Veteran

I loved the armadillo...it was kind of cute. We always see lizards in MK near the Crystal Palace. Every year, that's where we see them.

9. minnie mum

minnie mum Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

These snake threads are always good for a laugh. But nothing has ever topped the (true and verified with videotape) story about the snake that was found on top of the curtains in a room in the Contemporary. Years ago now. That baby must have been at least 2 metres long. Now that one was scream-worthy.

10. MHTeacher

MHTeacher DIS Veteran

Lisa(mickeystoontown) has quite a few pictures of this snake on her TR. In her pictures you can really see how long this snake is when he's on the move!
    Gross anyway you look at it! :scared1:

11. GeorgiaHoo

GeorgiaHoo DIS Veteran

They are much worse. I hate them. And they do fly.

12. Wicket's Mom

Wicket's Mom DIS Veteran

The palmetto bugs are cockroaches, native to America. The small roaches that most people see are German cockroaches, but at least they don't fly!

13. Jerzetta

Jerzetta Mouseketeer

Alligator at Splash Mtn? Seriously????

14. minnie mum

minnie mum Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

There was a good videotape of the little alligator in the water of Splash Mountain, with the CMs keeping him away from the guests (and the boats) while they waited for Animal Control to arrive. Gators are not uncommon in the River- you can often see them from the boardwalk area that looks over to Tom Sawyer Island.

15. Indy Denise

Indy Denise Mouseketeer

I have received a lot of useful information in this thread:

Let's see...don't bother to get a second story room cause those black racer snakes can climb.

Always check the top of your curtains.

Don't go to the waterparks lest you find yourself in the lazy river with legless creatures

Avoid Disney giftshops. They may be hard on your wallet and also your heart.

Darn, I thought I was going to visit WDW , not be on Fear Factor!

:rotfl:

In all honesty though, I am not :rotfl: but :scared1:

16. hygienejean

hygienejean Diser since 2002!

Hi Fellow Mainer! We just have a wicked lot of mosquitoes where I live! ;)

17. GeorgiaHoo

GeorgiaHoo DIS Veteran

Yep. There's a video on youtube showing it. It is fairly small (not tiny mind you) but it is there. Was surprised when I first saw it. Have seen them in the lagoon when riding the train at Magic Kingdom as well, but after all you are in Florida. Reptiles don't bother me. I hate palmetto bugs (or water bugs as we called them in GA).

18. pumba

pumba DIS PUMBARIZER Moderator

I am going to flip a coin..

Snakes vs two feet of snow...

Snakes win (maybe)...

Cockroaches vs two feet of snow..

SNOW WINS HANDS DOWN...hahaha..

we are in the 24 inch range for snow...and I hate snow more then I hate critters...I can shoot a moose, or deer or a bear...but I cant see me shooting a snake or a palmetto bug...ROFL..

we are almost in the 80 days to go to Disney...so i will take that..

19. Okh

Okh Mouseketeer

We saw a pair of otter last May at POR, which I thought was really cool.

Side story - we live in Staten Island. I'm born and bred but my wife is a Brooklyn girl. Now, Staten Island is full of woodlands and because of that, we have a huge population of deer as well as wild turkey, skunk, otter and other assorted critters. Most people are used to it and when you run across them, the deer at least, you tend to look at it as a little gift in your day and move along.

Not the Brooklyn girl - we came across a huge buck and a doe feeding in the local KofC's picnic grounds and she literally hid behind me for protection. I've never seen her move so fast. So yeah, I really hope we don't see snakes in Disney, though I'm sure you'll hear her shrieks if we do :)

20. LovinPooh

LovinPooh DIS Veteran

We saw a huge gator sunning by one of those ponds outside of animal kingdom. Dh had a cockroach crawling on him as we were leavin mk. We are in the 12-18" snow range and i would take the gator n roach over this rotten snow lol

21. LBlovesM&WDW

LBlovesM&WDW Mouseketeer

We hadn't had the pleasure of running into any until our April 2011 trip, when we ran into two. My mom and I have a paralyzing fear of snakes and just the thought alone gives us nightmares. We really don't even say the word.

Well, the first time was on our way to our car at Wilderness Lodge after having a lovely dinner at AP. We were all talking as we walked along and then my husband told us to stop and walk back to the resort. We didn't understand at first, until I looked at the ground and literally froze for a second. When we were able to speak, we told the valet and the supervisor went to take care of it. I have no idea what he did because we waited by the door for the car.

Second time was a few days later at Fantasmic. We had just walked up the path for dining package seats about 3 minutes before we saw this guy walk up to the CM with a bright green one on his arm saying he found it on the path. She told him to throw it in the bushes, so he gave it a little toss. Of course the lights go out and I'm I'm bending down using the light from my phone to see if it's coming my way every 3 seconds.

Since reading about the Contemporary, I make my husband check the room over completely before I enter.