Two Sisters finally get to go to WDW together! - TR has started!

Ummm...I'm not sure how helpful this was...but I hope it helps a bit...

It was very helpful, thanks!! I am normally a pool view person, too. View is not that important to me and I really love exploring the lodge, so having to go out to see animals is actually a plus. I think Katharina is thinking along the same lines. And I am sure she will be wowed by the lodge anyway. But so many people love their savanna view that I feel I might miss out on something. With the discount it would not hurt so much to upgrade, so I thought it might be my chance. So knowing that someone with similar priorities was not converted by a stay in a savanna CL room, is extremely helpful!!! :thumbsup2

YAY for getting your discount!! That's just awesome!!

As for what room to get... our first stay at AKV we had a pool view. We were hardly there (plus it was so darn hot out in August that sitting out there wasn't all that pleasant!) that we barely spent any time out there.

On my trip last week, we ended up with a savanna view with both rooms - our first was a AKV Value Studio over on the Ostrich Trail. The night we got in we saw a couple of zebras in the dark, otherwise, we didn't see much for animals. We barely spent any time out there because we weren't in the room much and there were no animals to look at.

On our 4th night we moved to a regular room and were way, way out at the end of the Zebra trail. Our room was situation so we could see both animals from the Arusha and Uzima savannas. We saw lots of the giraffes, Tommy's, and other animals - it was pretty cool! It was a long walk down there, but it didn't seem all that bad. We had a resort day and after spending time by the pool, we sat out on the balcony, enjoying the animals, a book, and some lunch. We also went out in the mornings to eat our breakfast because there was something to look at.

For us, we enjoyed whatever we had and if there was stuff to look at, that's when we found ourselves out there. But we didn't feel like we were missing anything by not having anything to look at - we just went elsewhere to enjoy the views!!

Don't know if that helps at all! I just started rambling... post-trip excitement, reliving it and all! :)

Just got the email from my TA: we got the discount!!! :banana::banana::banana:

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

I'm sorry that I can't offer you advice on an AKL room upgrade. We always have a savanna view room, but that is our preference.

I'm sure that whatever you decide will be the best choice for you and your sister. :goodvibes

YAY for getting your discount!! That's just awesome!!

As for what room to get... our first stay at AKV we had a pool view. We were hardly there (plus it was so darn hot out in August that sitting out there wasn't all that pleasant!) that we barely spent any time out there.

On my trip last week, we ended up with a savanna view with both rooms - our first was a AKV Value Studio over on the Ostrich Trail. The night we got in we saw a couple of zebras in the dark, otherwise, we didn't see much for animals. We barely spent any time out there because we weren't in the room much and there were no animals to look at.

On our 4th night we moved to a regular room and were way, way out at the end of the Zebra trail. Our room was situation so we could see both animals from the Arusha and Uzima savannas. We saw lots of the giraffes, Tommy's, and other animals - it was pretty cool! It was a long walk down there, but it didn't seem all that bad. We had a resort day and after spending time by the pool, we sat out on the balcony, enjoying the animals, a book, and some lunch. We also went out in the mornings to eat our breakfast because there was something to look at.

For us, we enjoyed whatever we had and if there was stuff to look at, that's when we found ourselves out there. But we didn't feel like we were missing anything by not having anything to look at - we just went elsewhere to enjoy the views!!

Don't know if that helps at all! I just started rambling... post-trip excitement, reliving it and all! :)

Thank you very much for your input! It was very helpful. :thumbsup2 And welcome back! I hope you had a wonderful trip!! :cloud9:

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

I'm sorry that I can't offer you advice on an AKL room upgrade. We always have a savanna view room, but that is our preference.

I'm sure that whatever you decide will be the best choice for you and your sister. :goodvibes

The good thing is: for me the room view really isn't what will make the trip, so I guess you are right, we will be happy with every decision we make! :goodvibes

January hours became available yesterday - mainly they are just what I expected. So far I have been planning with last years hours and they are more or less the same, they only changed the Spectromagic dates and the Fantasmic dates compared to last year.

So I can start to plan a bit more on our schedule. Of course the February hours still aren't out. I have some hope that they might come out before 10/27 (the big ADR day!! :scared1:), but not very much. So I guess this will be all the information we have before have to make ADRs.

To be honest, I am absolutely confused. :sad2: Katharina and I had decided to do morning EMHs on this trip, so this gave us a bit of structure for our plan. But I just never liked that plan, it just seemed so confusing, especially with all the park hopping involved. Morning EMH parks tend to get very crowded, so we had planned to hop away from them. Now I have taken the plan and tried to eliminate all morning EMHs, it looks much calmer. But when we are there the parks really aren't open that long, so additional park time sounds great. And our jet lag really helps us getting up early!! Now I am absolutely confused as to what to do and Katharina is away until Sunday. I guess we need to sit down and look at the two alternatives and try to come up with a decision... :confused::confused:

However, we have made a decision regarding our reservation: We are staying put in ou pool view room. No fancy update for us! :banana: And we are very happy with that decision. The amount we save will be about the amount of our dining budget, so in a certain way we ended up with free dining!! :goodvibes I actually checked the numbers today, if we would add the DDP (still no intention of doing so), we would still save 100 $ as compared to our original price!! :eek:

I'm totally lost on my itinerary too! The hours don't seem bad but I just don't know what I want to do. I think I am feeling tons of pressure since I know my ADR day is next Sunday. :headache:

Did you check out the video of the day in Magic Kingdom? I love it. I've already watched it twice!

I totally understand how planning can get totally confusing and overwhelming! Look at it this way, at least you know to plan. Imagine all the people who go into a WDW vacation totally blind with nothing more then a room and ticket! :eek::scared1:

We saw that Deevy See, and Deevy herself in person, video when we went the the DVC event in August/ IT was very funny and so was she in person!

Just found your PTR from your dining review-really enjoying it!!!

Looks like I'll just miss you at AKL. We leave on 1/27. Your plans sound great. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip. Sounds like you'll be very happy in a pool view room.

I haven't read all of the thread yet, but just wanted to say it sounds like a great trip and it's nice that you and your sister will be able to travel together!

My sister isn't the Disney type, but we do get the chance to travel together sometimes. My husband is from Switzerland and I was born in Germany-- my parents were U.S. citizens but Dad was stationed in Aschaffenberg for a bit. Several years ago, we took a trip to Switzerland to visit my husband's family and to Germany to see where I was a baby, and my sister and her boyfriend came with us. It was fabulous! I've never been to Berlin but I love the parts of Germany I have seen.

I will also be in WDW in January and am in the planning stages.

I totally understand how planning can get totally confusing and overwhelming! Look at it this way, at least you know to plan. Imagine all the people who go into a WDW vacation totally blind with nothing more then a room and ticket! :eek::scared1:

We saw that Deevy See, and Deevy herself in person, video when we went the the DVC event in August/ IT was very funny and so was she in person!

I sometimes think that those people are happier than us planners in the time before their trip, but most likely not during it... :goodvibes But then friends of mine spent a week in Orlando last year and their planning was the "cheat sheet" I wrote them with some basic information. And they loved the parks. They did get on all the rides they wanted to thanks to fastpass and thy just loved to spend time in the parks and watch the fireworks every night. :confused3

I remembered that someone had reported meeting Deevy. I think she is such a great character!! :thumbsup2

Just found your PTR from your dining review-really enjoying it!!!

Looks like I'll just miss you at AKL. We leave on 1/27. Your plans sound great. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip. Sounds like you'll be very happy in a pool view room.

Welcome!! And thanks for the nice comment. What a shame that we miss you, I hope you will have a great stay at AKL! :goodvibes

I haven't read all of the thread yet, but just wanted to say it sounds like a great trip and it's nice that you and your sister will be able to travel together!

My sister isn't the Disney type, but we do get the chance to travel together sometimes. My husband is from Switzerland and I was born in Germany-- my parents were U.S. citizens but Dad was stationed in Aschaffenberg for a bit. Several years ago, we took a trip to Switzerland to visit my husband's family and to Germany to see where I was a baby, and my sister and her boyfriend came with us. It was fabulous! I've never been to Berlin but I love the parts of Germany I have seen.

I will also be in WDW in January and am in the planning stages.

Welcome to my trip report! How funny that you were born in Gemany. Aschaffenburg is actually quite close to where my sister and I grew up, at least, it both is in Bavaria. Did you by any chance see Nuremberg. That's my second home town and my parents just moved there recently. Sounds like you had a great trip!

Deevy See-That was very funny...I'm impressed that Disney has such an off beat sense of humor...:lmao:

Congrats for making up your mind about your room-one less thing to worry about...:thumbsup2

Deevy See reminds me a lot of the DHS streetmosphere characters which I enjoy a lot. I am determined to spend some time watching their skits on this trip. Did not get around to do that so much last time. And the friend I traveled with never really enjoyed it. Hopefully Katharina will have fun with me. :thumbsup2

I am really excited, I have a great update to post. Katharina and I finally have some idea of a plan that makes sense and does not have me all confused... :banana::banana:

We agreed that not doing EMH will be the way to go. :thumbsup2 We are still planning to do rope drop, so not much sleeping in for us. But considering the advantage of jet lag :hourglass (at least in that direction), getting up at 6 am will still mean 12 pm for us!

We are still lacking February hours:rolleyes2, so things might change there and on the last days we just have indicated the “good parks” according to touringplans.com and Tourguide Mike. We will be flexible then with regard to what we want to see.

So, flossbolna and nodnol proudly present “The Plan”:

Wednesday, 1/27
depart TXL (Berlin) at 9:15 am CET which is 3:15 am EST, all following times are EST
arrive at MCO at 6:45 pm
get our fingerprints and picture taken by the friendly guys from Immigration (actually at MCO I have only had great experiences with really friendly immigration officers :thumbsup2)
hop on ME and hopefully make it to AKL by 8:30 pm
explore the hotel for a bit (maybe jump into the spa :cloud9:) and get our refillable mugs and a snack at Mara and then have an early night .

Thursday, 1/28
small early breakfast from Mara to be eaten on our balcony (will be the same on all other days unless otherwise specified)
9:00 am rope drop (RD) at AK - off to EE, get Safari FP just before:
10:30 am Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House (will work as a kind of brunch)
spend the day at AK, possibly with a midday break at AKL
no real lunch needed, might get a snack at some point (they sell corn dogs at AK...)
evening at DTD: we need to stack up on snacks from Goofy's Candy Company (nodnol's request)
if we travel there directly from AK we would have to go to a resort first, so we are thinking about catching a bus to POFQ and take the boat from there...
dinner at Wolfgang Puck's Express

Friday, 1/29
8:30 Wild by Design Tour at AK (3 hours, includes continental breakfast)
early midday break at AKL
afternoon at DS until about 6:30 pm
dinner: 7:30 pm at California Grill (Wishes at 8pm)
commute back home via Epcot (first glimpse of Epcot for nodnol from monorail), with the option of a brief visit for evening EMH (most likely not as we will be too tired)

Saturday, 1/30
9:00 am RD at Epcot (Soarin' here we come!!! :woohoo:)
all day at Epcot with afternoon break back at AKL
dinner: 6 pm at Flying Fish
9pm Illuminations

Sunday, 1/31
9:00 am RD at AK (or possibly Epcot, still can't do DHS or MK, DHS has Fantasmic, MK Spectro and is crowded on Sundays and has evening EMH :headache:)
this would be a great day to go to Typhoon Lagoon (can also be incorporated on Saturday, Monday or Tuesday, will depend on the weather :confused:)
back to AKL for break (if Typhoon Lagoon, might stop briefly at DTD if we need to stock up on snacks...)
dinner: 5 pm at Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge
8 pm Wishes
EMH at the MK

Monday, 2/1 (here things are still not very clear... :sad2:)
9:00 am RD at MK (still not ideal, it is a Spectro day, but we can't spend the whole trip at AK and Epcot)
lunch: 12:30 pm at Kona
break back at AKL (possibly travel from Poly to AKL via monorail to Epcot - I just love that ride, best way to arrive at any park! :thumbsup2)
afternoon at Epcot
dinner: 7:00 pm Boma
evening at AKL

Tuesday, 2/2 (our mother's birthday :cake:)
9:00 am RD at DHS (TSM stampede!! :scared1:)
lunch: 11:30 am Sci-Fi Dine-In
midday break at AKL
afternoon back at DHS
dinner: 7:30 pm Artist Point (will need to take cab back to AKL, can't see us commuting through DTD)

Wednesday, 2/3 (the big day: nodnol turns 35 on that day!!! :bday:)
RD at either Epcot, DHS or MK
lunch: 2pm Gardenview Tea Room :coffee: (no tea cups in the smileys...)
possibly a short visit to AK EMH (5-8 pm) before:
dinner: 7:30 pm Narcoossee's (Wishes at 8 pm)

Thursday, 2/4 (our last full day)
RD at either Epcot or AK
dinner: 7:30 pm Jiko
evening: packing :sad:

Friday, 2/5 (we are leaving today...)
no real plans, we can go to AK or MK.
We will most likely not make it to RD on that day, maybe we will schedule a Boma breakfast reservation...
ME will pick us up around 4:45 pm for our
flight departing MCO at 8:45 pm

Saturday, 2/6
arriving at TXL (Berlin) on 2/6 at 3:10 pm CET or 9:10 am EST :crazy2:

Sunday 2/7
try to recover from post-Disney-depression, check DISboards and hopefully adjust somewhat to CET...

A few things are still unclear: I would really like to try the Winter-Summerland minigolf. But with Bilzzard Beach being closed, I am not really sure how we would get there and I have no idea when to put it into the plan. Also, I am not so happy about our MK days. And I would love to eat breakfast at Boma once during the trip and don't know wether the last morning is the best day to do that.

I guess, once the February hours are available and TGM has put together his recommendations for real (at the moment I am using last years), I will have a clearer picture. But at least we now have a plan for ADRs.

So, what do you think? Is it reasonable? Can it be managed? Do we have too many meals planned? Any recommendations??

I think your plans look fabulous!! It's so hard to find that niche where you are happy with your plans.

Don't drive yourself crazy about the Non-Spectro, Fantasmic days. You are still going during slow season so crowds shouldn't be super bad. :thumbsup2

I think your plans look fabulous!! It's so hard to find that niche where you are happy with your plans.

Don't drive yourself crazy about the Non-Spectro, Fantasmic days. You are still going during slow season so crowds shouldn't be super bad. :thumbsup2

Yes, I have been following along your problems and felt like we really are in the same boat!

Unfortunately last year we had a really bad experience on a Fantasmic day at DHS!! But you are right, I have been to the MK on Spectro days in that time frame and while it is not magically empty, it was very manageable! :goodvibes

Unfortunately not PTR related, but I had to share this: I got my first ever PIN Code!!!! I always thought they would not mail it to foreigners, but I got one!!! :banana::banana::banana: But it isn't for our travel time, it's for 4/11 to 6/3 and includes free dining (and park tickets?) for kids and an offer for adults (seems like they pay the kids price for dining and park tickets)??? Actually I like the deal we have much better, but I am so happy that I am in their PIN mailing list... :cool1: Of course a 40% off PIN for January would have made my day!! :cloud9:

Yes, I have been following along your problems and felt like we really are in the same boat!

Unfortunately last year we had a really bad experience on a Fantasmic day at DHS!! But you are right, I have been to the MK on Spectro days in that time frame and while it is not magically empty, it was very manageable! :goodvibes

Unfortunately not PTR related, but I had to share this: I got my first ever PIN Code!!!! I always thought they would not mail it to foreigners, but I got one!!! :banana::banana::banana: But it isn't for our travel time, it's for 4/11 to 6/3 and includes free dining (and park tickets?) for kids and an offer for adults (seems like they pay the kids price for dining and park tickets)??? Actually I like the deal we have much better, but I am so happy that I am in their PIN mailing list... :cool1: Of course a 40% off PIN for January would have made my day!! :cloud9:

Wow, I would love a pin like that! Actually, I guess I would like any pin! :rotfl:

I got a pin code too... as I sit here at WDW! :rotfl:

I think your plans look wonderful! You have a bit of everything and it looks like the two of you are going to have a great time.

Fantasmic was playing havoc with my plans too. The only two days that they are running it are my non-park days. :confused: I was all set to revamp the schedule, but in the end I decieded to just skip it. I hate to think of how crazy it will make DHS that day. I'm going to really miss it, but am happy with the plans I made instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter